Why we match up poorly against the Wild Cat.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SettlerDawg, Oct 13, 2009.

1. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Some observations tonight:

Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams are just as big as our linebackers, but they are also much faster than our linebackers. This makes it very hard for anyone except our d-linemen to make one-on-one tacklers.

In the first 4 games, the Jets relied on aggressive blitzing to control the line of scrimmage and pigeon-hole the quarterback to pass to one side of the field, or force a runningback to redirect. We quickly found out with the 50-yard Ricky Williams screen pass, and plenty of 7-8 yard gains, that we cannot blitz against the wild cat or even Miami's base offense.

Against the wildcat, and base offense counter plays, the Jets do not control the line: the Dolphins do. We were simply reacting to their line instead of attacking it. This is akin to what Mangini ran last year with our defense. Bend but don't break. This defense works well when your defensive linemen can push the o-line back, and keep the o-linemen away from your linebackers. Thats why the Bill Bilicheck school of defense relies on huge d-linemen.

Aside from Kris Jenkins, our defensive line could not get a good push. Thus, our linebackers were forced to make one-on-one plays against Miami's runningbacks. And they failed. Bart Scott missed many tackles, and David Harris waited too long for each running play to develop, and was eaily blocked by a lineman.

We adjusted our defense towards the middle and end of the game by stacking the box with 8, sometime 9 players. This led to one-on-one coverages against our secondary. Rhodes couldn't cover Fasano on a crucial third down. Revis got burnt by Ginn (although Rhodes should have provided help over the top). And Lowery got beat at the end of the game.

From what I see, we need better reads by the 2 middle linebackers during the wild cat and base offense counter plays. It's that simple. Read the play and make the tackle. Gholston might actually be more effective against Miami than Pace, as he can at least bullrush his lineman backwards. All Gholston needs to do is learn how to quickly shed the block and make the tackle. Thomas played decent today.

If that doesn't work, we need to hire Mangini or Bob Sutton to coach our defense when we play the Dolphins. Thoughts?

2. Jam.

Jam. Banned

Change your avatar.

3. Turnbub

Turnbub New Member

I don't think the wildcat is that creative. it causes some mid-directions, but ultimately it puts a Miami O-Linemen, fullback, or RB on a jets Defensive linemen or LB. it was just damn good run (and pass) blocking by Miami that beat the jets tonight. The jets D didn't man up in the trenches (except for Jenkins). The Jets LB's got blocked and beat the majority of the time.

4. Finstotheleft

Finstotheleft New Member

I approve this thread please continue.

5. SettlerDawg

I agree and disagree. The linemen were doing a decent job stuffing their lanes, but our linebackers were caught trying to find out where the play was going. During the first four games we played, they saw the run and attacked the line. In today's game they waited for just a half-second longer to see how the play was developing. That's all their linemen needed. I think we're plenty strong, although not exceptionally strong (aside from Jenkins)

6. SettlerDawg

You guys played extremely well, and my hats off to you. But you guys barely beat us. We'll see what happens in 3 weeks.

7. youraveragejoe29

youraveragejoe29 New Member

fuckin bullshit. there is no reason they should have been able to consistently get 5-6 yards with ronnie brown in shotgun, inlcuding the winning touchdown. this team was flat out all around terrible on defense for almost the entire game. really embarassing when there isnt a quarterback on the field for 30 fuckin plays and almost every single one is a solid gain. with the talent we have on the defensive side of the ball and rexs proven ability to shut down good offenses, there are no excuses for putting up the performance this defense did tonight.

the offense came back after a bad week and did what they needed to do to win the game. yea we got a few calls in our favor, but sanchez for the most part besides a few off throws was solid, jones and leon were great back and forth, and braylon was a fucking monster having 3 days experience in this offense.

i dont know if it was cockiness or just an off night, but this loss was embarassing. had to be 30 plays at least where they did not have a qb on the field, and we cant stop it to win the game. no the seasons not over assholes, but this team better find a way to play complete football games or no games will be easy.

8. Turnbub

Turnbub New Member

i'm curious what rex will say about the wildcat. i'm sure he'll praise it, but will he give any indication on how the jets should have solved it or will he give credit to miami o-line?

can the jets defend against it, sure, there was some good sticks in the backfield, in particular i remember rhodes on one play, but ultimately i think the jets D game planned poorly for it. in fact i question what the jets d game planned for this week??

but settler dawg says it well above, and i'll add, the miami o-line, had a field day with that extra half-second laying licks on jets defenders.

9. SettlerDawg

I'm not making any excuses. I agree with you. Our defense is too talented to be beat like this. I really think that Rex and Pettine dropped the ball in scheming for this game.

10. rillo

rillo New Member

I can't understand WHY didn't we leave Rhodes @ the line of scrimmage.....horrible game by the Jets defense.

11. FinFanInCali

FinFanInCali New Member

I think the Dolphins were up for the game, one to get back in the race in the east, the rivalry, and the last time they played against Ryan, his defense wore us out, and made us look bad.

12. Turnbub

Turnbub New Member

"I can't understand WHY didn't we leave Rhodes @ the line of scrimmage.....horrible game by the Jets defense."

rhode and/or eric smith: everyone knew the miami receivers were not that effective and that miami would run the ball. should have stacked the f-ing line and forced them to pass early.

13. rillo

rillo New Member

Yep, or @ least jam the WR's.....Jets gave them waaaay too much respect!

14. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

it's not rocket science

1.) their o-line played really well
    2.) we missed a shitload of tackles and didn't come off blocks
    3.) the play calling was shit. we didn't run blitz when we needed to and didnt have the safeties creep up enough

i can guarantee you the outcome won't be the same in the meadowlands but that's a moot point. tonight we got pwned by them and ourselves

15. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

It's not as easy as you guys are making it out to be. The Jets got manhandled on the line and were beaten twice for big plays. That's what happens sometimes when you sell out.

We've seen the Raven defense get burned like this too.

As disappointed as I am, if someone told me the Jets would be 3-2 after the first five games, I would have taken it.

16. Totodestroyer

Totodestroyer New Member

This is where your logic fails. The wildcat works and it will continue to work as long as we have someone to run it. Don't be so hard-headed. Did you forget, it also worked against the other 4 teams we showed it to this year? Still think you have a bad defense?

17. Dolphan7

Dolphan7 New Member

I wouldn't say barely. I would say convincingly.

Remember....if not for a bogus PI call, and two trick plays on a punt and a fake FG.......you guys don't score 3 touch downs.

That makes it 31-.......6?

18. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

But those plays did happen.

Anybody can play this game...if we stopped you on your last drive we win.

19. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Remember, if you take out the trick plays that is half your freaking offense that...oh, who cares, because you can't take away plays like that. Your defense wasn't ready. You scored the gamewinning touchdown with 6 seconds left. You want to say you outplayed us? Absolutely. You want to say it was a convincing win? I wouldn't go there.

This defense will bounce back.

20. GoonBoss

GoonBoss New Member

Whooo..Yeah. That tricky, gimmicky Wildcat. Funny how it just keeps fooling people.

Remember; When we, and, the Wildcat as well, failed in the playoffs, we had 3 linemen starting that aren't even on our team anymore. It's a football formation that you can run a number of different plays out of and we have success out of the formation. If you have success out of an offest I, you run out of the offset I. Wildcat? Same thing.

It's was not a convincing win. I will give you that....But it was a good, clutch win in a tough, hard fought divisional game, and a huge win for us.