Brad Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by k.Rhodes25, Apr 30, 2006.

1. k.Rhodes25

k.Rhodes25 New Member

Smith, 6?2?, 210 pounds, is a tremendous athlete who could be used at a number of offensive positions at the next level.

The former Missouri quarterback started all 48 games during his college career, throwing for 8,799 yards while rushing for 4,289 yards with 101 career touchdowns (56 throwing). Smith holds the NCAA Div. I-A career rushing record for QBs, with 4,289 yards, and he became the first NCAA Div. I-A QB to throw for 8,000 yards and rush for 4,000 yards in a career. In his final game, Smith rushed for 150 yards and three touchdowns in an Independence Bowl victory over South Carolina. In 2003, Smith had a career day against Texas Tech, rushing for 291 yards and five touchdowns.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/wr/bradsmith.html

Taking Brad Smith was a great move by our FO. This kid is a fast, athletic playmaker who although will have to learn the ways of being a WR is gunna turn out great for us. He also is a team player who will do w/e is asked of him.

So for those who think we didnt draft any playmakers in this draft, u are wrong. Even tho Smith isnt going to be an instant threat teams have to game plan against this upcoming year(like a Bush or Davis), he will tunr out to be a playmaker in this league(whether it be at RB,WR or mayb even QB).

2. vilmas our future51

vilmas our future51 New Member

i think he will be a great all and reciever kind of like keyshawn due to his build but your right he is an amazing athlete and i see the wr depth chart goin coles smith cotchery or vice versa

3. vjdbbq

vjdbbq Banned

How do we know that this kid can catch ? Why couldn't they just draft another wide receiver along with Smith in case the experimaent does not work ?

4. Boom Dawg

Boom Dawg New Member

I dont know but ESPN this morning had him as one of the better pick ups of day 2.

5. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Seriously, you can't presume the J-mac isn't a starter this year. Brad Smith hasn't even played a down at wr...lets give the man 2 years before we plug him in as starter....

6. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

With the success that other QB's turned WR have had recently (Ward, Randle El, Jones, Bennett) I think that the Jets were going after Michael Robinson.
    Once Robinson was drafted they went for the next slash player which was Smith.
    I really dont know much about the kid but it will be interesting to see what the Jets decide to do with him.

7. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I am absolutely high on this guy. I love everything I'm reading about him.. could be a real find... a better Ray Lucas even. Can anyone picture a lateral to this guy from Penny after the snap, and he becomes the QB and heaves it 40 yards downfield to Coles? Hahahahahaaa..... I can!

8. rillo

rillo New Member

Never seen him play....but the scouts were high on him and he's one of those "slash" guys i'm all for this pick.....great draft!!

9. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

He'll be our best WR by the time his initial contract is up (should be 4 years), write it down.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I disagree with this.. I read an article a couple weeks ago about the Jets loving Smith.. I think when Robinson went right ahead of him they felt they had to grab him next of he would be gone by their next pick..

11. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Robinson will make a better Safety than a WR/RB. IMO he played S in HS, and when he carried the ball at Penn St. he loved to dish blows to defenders. Plus his route running was supposedly sloppy.

maybe your right though, but I feel Brad Smith is a more humble player coming from Mizzou. this guy continued to put up ridiculous stats on a avg team at best.

and this is a guy whos 6 ft 2 and will play anywhere from 215-225. with 4.4 speed. he will be able to get open and make good YAC. he instantly makes WR an open competition IMO.

12. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Some writers compare him to Randle-El and some compare him to Troy Brown. If he gives us what those two guys give their teams, it's a great pick, no matter where he plays. And when he's in, he will make the offense unpredictable and when was the last time you could say that about the Jet offense?

13. k311

k311 Member

i said this in another thread, he could end up being a poor man's matt jones.

14. NYJ_Pogmothoin

NYJ_Pogmothoin New Member

Anyone got video on him? I looked all over yesterday with no luck.

15. J-e-t-s123

J-e-t-s123 New Member

I wonder if reggie mcneal (who was picked a round later) turns out better-he is definitely much faster

16. lightning

lightning Active Member

Honestly hurricane, i felt the exact same way when we made the pick. I was hoping we would take a chance on one of these guys.

17. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

i thought it was a great pick...i definetely see some trick plays out of this new offense we are gonna bring here...and this guy will definetely be on the top of the list to run those plays

18. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Actually that is not true. He split out a couple times at Missouri and I know he caught at least 1 TD pass.

19. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

ohhhh in the face!!!

20. lightning

lightning Active Member

not to mention he was willing to catch quite a few passes in workouts