Clemens' arm strength was second to Cutler's and ahead of Leinart's and Vince Young's

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jamesAngleton, May 1, 2006.

1. jamesAngleton

jamesAngleton New Member

#1 jamesAngleton, May 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2005
  2. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

One can only dream...

3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

if you have ever watched the man play one game you know he doesnt lazk zip...not you james,i mean the guys who wrote that...these wwriters and so-called experts are a joke....ive already seen about 10 clips of this guy running right and zipping the ball across his body

4. SI_Jets_Fan

SI_Jets_Fan Member

hey jonny... who is that in your avatar?

5. NYJ_Pogmothoin

NYJ_Pogmothoin New Member

Jamie Lynn Sigler from Sopranos.

6. SI_Jets_Fan

SI_Jets_Fan Member

oh yeah... nice... thanks :beer:

7. WorkinStiff

WorkinStiff New Member

Leinart was surrounded by talent far superior to every team he played against, ...The talent surrounding Clemens was decent not great...7 of USC's top ten ol will play in the NFL.Three were just drafted ...Oregon sends about one OL a decade into the NFL.( The last noteworthy Oregon OL was Gary Zimmerman 20+ yrs ago)...... Teams Playing USC were keyed on stopping Reggie Bush, or Lendale White, or Dwayne Jarret or ???..Teams Oregon played were keyed on stopping Clemens, period!....Leinart thru to a bunch of HS All Americans, 5 star recruits....Clemens thru to one stud, Demetrius Williams, ( 4th RD Baltimore) and a bunch of Frosh and sophomores.....Leinart handed off to Reggie Bush, ( Heisman, 2nd pick) or Lendale White, ( 1st rd pick).......Clemens handed off to undrafted Jerome Whitehead......Clemens had to learn three new offensive systems in 5 yrs.....In his 1st year in a new system,his senior year, Clemens hit 64% of his passes wirth a 19/4 TD/INT ratio....ANY QUESTIONS???

8. jamesAngleton

jamesAngleton New Member

Teams Playing USC were keyed on stopping Reggie Bush

That is a great point. One play action to Reggie Bush would have moved defenses in that direction.

9. Tight

Tight Active Member

I agree, I talked to some Guy in the Chat other day from here. He said clemens is another chad, and he watched tape and his arm is below average.
    Some people are full of it (you know who you are). Stop quoting Nfldraftcountdown.com like its gospel. Its really annoying.

10. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

QBs arm strength is as overrated as a RBs 40 time. There is a lot more to playing QB then having a rocket launcher for an arm.

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

There is a lot of conflicting report on Clemens one thing there is no conflict on is his release which is compact and quick. Hard to tell how his velocity is until we see it. I can't believe he floats balls like Leinart and he certainly has a quicker release than Chad who has to wind up to make a 20 yard pass.

12. odessa14

odessa14 Banned

We'll see, he'll ether boom or bust. It doesn't matter if he has a strong arm or not, but in my humble opinion I liked what I saw in thise clips. In those clips, it looked pretty damn strong. The fact that he might have a strong arm won't make him a good QB though.

13. lightning

lightning Active Member

he has to wind up and do two steps from the "electric slide" to throw it 40 yards :rofl:...boogi woogi woogi

14. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Agreed and there are so many different dimensions to arm strength. You got the straight line RPMs, you got the how far can they throw, but you also gotta factor in whether they can throw a good ball on the money like hitting the out before the WR breaks and throwing deep on the money. It doesn't matter if the QB can throw the ball 70 yards if the receiver was only running 60 yards.

15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I agree that a "cannon" is not completely necessary, but having a strong arm helps. We all have seen what a weak armed QB can and can't do. Deep passing effectively is not one of them...

16. Blue Raven

Blue Raven New Member

After watching Pennington we need somebody that can throw 10-15 yard outs with some Zip. The Pats just stacked the middle of the field against Pennington challenging him to throw outs.

17. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

I read somewhere, and I can't remember where, that BB and EM knew how to defense Pennington by shutting off half the field, knowing that the couldn't beat them on the backside. So, I think that EM is secretly hoping Chad doesn't come back because he knows that Chad is a liability from a scheme perspective. CP hasn't beaten the Pats since game 15 in 2002, his first vs. the Pats I believe.

I really like Chad, so understand that. I really hope (and still hold out hope) that he can be the QB he was in 2002. But if Chad can't keep the defense honest, then he also can't play to his strengths (accurate intermediate passes that hit the receiver in stride). You don't need a gun to win in the NFL, but you have to have enough zip to keep the defense honest.

18. rillo

rillo New Member

Amen....:finssuck: