Gholston Question

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by semperfigreen, Sep 21, 2009.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I think Ryan has lost faith in Gholston.

What was the word on Gholston when we darafted him?

... Fast and quick of the line. He gets after the QB. ...

Well those are the things you want when playing the Patriots. Brady isn't half as good when pressured.

Where was Gholston, on the bench where he should be. If he sees minimal time with Pace out, he will see no time when Pace gets back.

2. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

It speaks volumes when your coach is too afraid to put a #6 overall pick on the field. dont kid yourself with this "scheme" excuse...if the ghost was any good at all, he'd be on the field...somewhere contributing...he can't even break the ST team

3. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I really don't think you get it. Regardless of what Rex thinks of the him, his performance had nothing to do with his playing time. He was in on a few plays but rode the bench most of the game because we were using nickle and dime formations.

4. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I said this a few weeks ago. At least for us, we need to forget about players from OSU. You know that players take on the personality of their coach, and I don't want players that play for a coach in a sweater vest...

5. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

You guys are missing the whole reason Gholston was not on the field yesterday. It did not have to do with alleged poor play or lack of confidence. It had everything to do with the Jets playing continuous nickel and dime sets after the first quarter.

The Jets played most of the game with 2 and 3 LB's. Harris and Scott never left the field and Thomas was the third LB. The Jets only dressed 4 D linemen. No other LB saw the field either after the first quarter. Gholston did not get benched for another player.

And for all the people who screamed about the Jets keeping all those DBs on the roster, time to eat crow after yesterday. The DBs played great and with the injuries to Sheppard and Strickland, the Jets had to go about 8 deep in DBs.

Next time before you criticize a player, watch the game.

6. The_W

The_W Banned

Great post! This is exactly why Gholston didn't see mucn if any of the field yesterday. As said we were using lots of nickel & dime packages with Harris and Scott as the LBs while Smith coming alongside them occasionally. This is the same reason why we saw very little of Westerman and Murrell also.

7. masivemunkey

masivemunkey Member

Mangold...

8. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Dude...you can talk about schemes until the cows come home. I'm beyond that. I want to see this fucker contribute! The freakin guy was the 6th overall pick, and he can't even play special teams?

Some of you continue to defend the ghost blindly...fact of the matter is that he needs to develop some kind of football playing ability and start contributing to this football team.

9. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

I have tried to stay supportive of Vernon Gholston, but this guy reminds of D-Rob in this sense, he can sometimes get pressure, but it seems he never finishes and gets the QB and I'm losing patience with him. I don't think yesterday had as much to do with Ryan losing complete faith, YET. The reason why I say that is we didn't see Jamal Westerman on passing downs. I'll give Vernon a little longer, but quite frankly it seems like Westerman is the better fit for this team. I hope both guys work out though.

10. XxAlbert84xX

XxAlbert84xX New Member

I think if Gholston gets a roughing the passer call that's enough for me

11. Tmchugh1

Tmchugh1 New Member

Since the patriots most of the time had 3 or 4 recievers we put a corner or safety in there instead, next week he will be playing the role he played in the texans game so this will be his next big test donald strickland started the game due to the wr sets of the patriots

12. Tmchugh1

Tmchugh1 New Member

there is no reason to put gholston on the field if he will be covering recievers the whole game

13. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

He is a starter now and has not been on special teams. Why would Westoff change it up in the middle of the game to make you happy. And even if he did play special teams, you'd be saying that Gholston is a wasted pick because all he does is play on special teams.

Next thing we'll be hearing is that he didn't drink his Gatorade with agression. The Pats scheme dictated that the 4th LB sit. That's it. It had absolutely nothing to do with Gholston's play. He played well last week. Why can't you people enjoy the win and a defense that hasn't given up a score yet instead of jumping on everything this kid does or doesn't do. Let's let him play 16 games with Ryan before any further final judgments are made.

14. asscue35

asscue35 New Member

OH10 players?

Whilst you are at it, you can add Mangold to that list.

15. Gloom N Doom

Gloom N Doom Member

At least Mangold was credited with a tackle on Sunday !

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Please stop making sense. It's not fair to those who want to stomp their feet, cross their arms, and close their eyes.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

anyone from the defense behind the DL seems to fail pretty big recently. The offensive weapons coming out of that college is a different story. They always have a WR coming out, minus Ginn Jr.

18. Mike4Jets

Mike4Jets New Member

They say he dressed and was in the game, I looked for him but I didn't see him. Before the season Rex said if he couldn't get Gholston to produce, nobody would.... sad to say its looking like the 2nd option will be the outcome. Because Gholston was marked as such a reclaimation project, I've tried to be optimistic and have been trying to pay attention to his play. Anytime I saw him during the Texans game he was tied up and dancing with an offensive lineman, and against the Pats he was such a non-factor that I was wondering if they didn't dress him for the game to make room for all the D-backs they carried. So much raw physical potential there - what's missing... brains, heart?

19. jrock486

jrock486 New Member

my gut tells me gholston is a bust, but i think its fair to say that we should re-evaluate him when he plays against the titans..

20. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Gholston investing with Madoff could help a lot.