Jets Draft picks grades.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetman8094, Apr 30, 2006.

1. jetman8094

jetman8094 New Member

Now that the entire draft is over just how did the Jets fair? Going into the draft the Jets biggest need in my opinion was on offense, more particularly offensive line. Last year the Jets were 30th in the league in terms of sacks allowed. It is absolutely impossible to do anything (running or passing) without an offensive line. Additionally, the Jets had no play maker at the WR position, a toss up at QB, no true fullback. To add to the offensive woes the Jets have a 33 year old running back. The only real positive thing you could say about the Jet offense after last years performance was that Chris Baker looked at least above average at TE and that there was at least depth and youth at the running back position as a whole.

When you turn your focus to the defensive side of the ball the Jets actually don?t look to bad. There first team defensive line looks solid with the only question being how D?Rob will adjust to the true NT position. The line backing core is very young, fast and solid with Vilma, Hobson, Barton, Chatham, and Thomas (Thomas is suppose to play OLB this year). The only possible need there is to get another guy in the middle. The secondary looks to hinge on Dyson?s health and Miller?s development but over all it is young and should not need much bolstering. The only real hole I see at secondary is a Safety like Victor Green who could step up in the box and stop the run.

Special teams appear to be completely set with Nugent, Ben Graham, and let?s not forget James Dearth. So lets get down to the actual grading of the picks.

Pick #4 ? D?Brickashaw Ferguson: The Jets wasted no time filling the hole at offensive line. At 6?6 and 313 pounds D?Brickashaw has the size and feet to play the LT position for years to come. This guy takes protecting the QB very seriously and will defiantly be a starter when the season starts. The only issue I have with him from watching limited tape of him is that sometimes he appears to fall of his block late. However, this should be able to be corrected by coaching. It should also be noted that the Jets didn?t fall prey to the sexy pick here which would have been going with Matt Leinart.

Grade: A

Pick #29 ? Nick Mangold: The Jets acquired this pick in the John Abraham trade. In my mind that comes into play when grading the pick. The Jets front office stood by their guns and demanded a first round pick for Abraham, something many teams would not give into. In the long run the Jets got the pick they wanted (a first rounder) and another solid player. Mangold is considered by many to be a future All-Pro Center and was the best Center available on the big board. While he may not be the starter at the beginning of the season he will mostly see the field before the season ends. That means two picks and two needs filled.

Grade: A+

Pick #49 ? Kellen Clemens: In my mind this is the steal of the draft for the Jets. Not only do they get a QB with a pretty good arm they end up getting Washington?s 2nd round pick in next years draft, can you say steal. Some believe that Kellen would have gone in the top 20 had he stayed health last year at Oregon. As it is Kellen put up 19 TD to 4 INT his senior season (8 games). This ratio is very impressive as is his 64% completion ratio. He has the tools to start in the NFL and if the Jets season goes south I would look for him to start around week 12-14. Also it should be noted that picking a bust QB in the first round can set your team back 5 years but picking a bust QB in the 2nd round will not set the rebuilding process back.

Grade: A+

Pick #76 ? Anthony Schlegel: While he may have been available in a later round I am a firm believer in picking your player when he is available. Also don?t forget that the Jets traded back to this pick and picked up a late round pick, a pick they lost in the 2nd round trade. The Jets had a weakness up the middle and Schlegel helps fix it on my mind. He is a great run stopping ILB and should be used on 1st and 2nd down most of the time. Schlegel is a sure talker and a perfect Mangini guy. He will also contribute on ST most likely and provide great leadership coming from a winning program. I had him as my sleeper at ILB and am thrilled to have him on board.

Grade: B+

Pick #97 ? Eric Smith: This pick was given to the Jets as compensation for losing so many FA last year. Eric Smith in my opinion was a bad pick here and by far the Jets biggest reach. Smith struggles with staying healthy but is a sure tackler when on the field. I feel that he could be the Victor Green type Safety that stops the run but that also means he must stay healthy. In short there was better value at this point and this pick contains too many if?s for my liking.

Grade: D+

Pick #103 ? Brad Smith: Following what was the Jets biggest reach the Jets went with potential. At Missouri Smith was a one man show. He has good height (6?2) and good speed (4.46). I really feel he can make plays for the Jets with his athleticism as long as he is willing to put in the work to learn a new position. Smith gives the Jets the option for trickery on offense ala Randle El something they haven?t had in years.

Grade: B

Pick #117 - Leon Washington: This pick was obtained for Herman Edwards. Leon Washington is a player who comes to the Jets with huge potential. At Florida State he was part of a rotation at running back so it remains to be seen if he can handle the 25 touches a game a starter would handle. The good news is the Jets aren?t looking for him to step in and start right away. His speed should make a immediate impact as a third down back and don?t be surprised if the Jets try him out at punt returner.

Pick #150 ? Jason Pociask: The scouting reports that I have read say he isn?t good at stretching the field and that he lacks break away speed. Luckily, the Jets are not going to use him for this. Pociask is going to be a fullback who can catch the ball out of the backfield and who can punish linebackers trying to fill the hole to make a tackle. At 250 pounds he is a very solid blocker and will probably be a great presence in goal line and short yardage situations. Don?t forget in San Diego LT runs behind Lorenzo Neal.

Pick #189 ? Drew Coleman: The Jets did some work to get back into the sixth round and this pick makes me wonder why. The Jets have already spent many picks in past years on DB and Coleman is a very undersized DB. Scouting reports (the few I found on him) say he plays bigger than he looks but I still fear him being broken in half. His only saving grace is his 4.4 speed that may put him at gunner if he even makes the team. I would have much rather seen someone like Eslinger but then again no one asked me.

Grade: D

Pick #220 ? Titus Adams: The Jets closed out their draft by picking a DT. Has the size to play either line position (6?3 and 300 pounds). While he didn?t stand out at Nebraska he did at least play at a big time football school and some scouting reports say he even has the chance to start in a few years. That is something you don?t normally see in a 7th round pick scouting report to Kudos to the Jets.

Grade: B-

Overall, I say the Jets did a good job at addressing needs and didn?t go and make the sexy pick. The Jets stayed away from overloading the roster at one position. A trap some teams fall into by picking the best player available no matter what. They filled the O-line needs as best as anyone could have. Then they kept their head about them and went after other positions of needs. Good Job by a new Front Office.

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

Thanks Jetman

2. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

You get points just for making a reasoned analysis.

3. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

I agree. Better than the "that blew, we reached" analysis 95% of the board gives.

4. QBKILLER94

QBKILLER94 New Member

Pick #4 – D’Brickashaw Ferguson: Solid pick. Ferguson will upgrade our pass blocking immediately and be an anchor on the left side of the line for the next 8-12 years. I'd like to see him improve his run blocking a bit, otherwise a solid pick.
    Grade: A

Pick #29 – Nick Mangold: The Jets acquired this pick in the John Abraham trade. I like Mangold, but I think you need to get more than a young center for one of the top 3 pass rushers in football. Mangold seems like a solid player, but I'm not ready to throw him in the Hall of Fame yet. Great run blocker with a mean streak. I don't think he's as good as Mawae yet, but he he could grow into that type of player.
    Grade: A-

Pick #49 – Kellen Clemens: Passing on Lendale White was a tough thing to do, but ultimately I think getting the Redskins 2007 2nd rounder is going to pay huge dividends. I like Clemens accuracy and intangibles. Great value pick.

Pick #76 – Anthony Schlegel: An absolute reach. He seems like a good player, but not at the top of the 3rd round. He's a fifth rounder for sure. The Jets fumbled this pick.
    Grade: D-

Pick #97 – Eric Smith: Taking Eric Smith ended the Jets first day with two straight awful picks. This guy has struggled to stay healthy his entire college career. You don't recover from a torn meniscus overnight. Watching the highlights of Smith reminded me of another Jets bust ... John McGraw. AWFUL pick.
    Grade: F

Pick #103 – Brad Smith: "At Missouri Smith was a one man show. He has good height (6’2) and good speed (4.46)." I'm mixed about this pick. Smith has potential to make an impact at WR, but he's a risky pick. I loved him in college, but I'm not sure if he has what it takes to make and impact in the NFL.

Pick #117 - Leon Washington: This pick was obtained for Herman Edwards. Leon Washington is a player who comes to the Jets with huge potential. I loved this pick. Washington fell because of his size (5'7 1/2"). He'll be in the mix with Cedric Houston and Derrick Blalock in the RB rotation behind C. Martin.

Pick #150 – Jason Pociask: "Pociask likely will need to catch on as a special teams contributor and reserve H-back type in order to make it in the NFL. In our opinion, he grades out as nothing more than a priority free agent in the 2006 draft class." - Scouts Inc.
    I think that says it all. Another terrible pick.

Pick #189 – Drew Coleman: "The Jets did some work to get back into the sixth round and this pick makes me wonder why. The Jets have already spent many picks in past years on DB and Coleman is a very undersized DB. Scouting reports (the few I found on him) say he plays bigger than he looks but I still fear him being broken in half. His only saving grace is his 4.4 speed that may put him at gunner if he even makes the team. " - Jetman
    I agree with Jetman on this one. I would rather have Eslinger or R. Wright here. Bad pick.

Pick #220 – Titus Adams: Good late round pick here. A big run stuffer who has chance to make the team. I think he'd be a solid backup.

Great job by the Jets early on in the draft upgrading the offensive line and getting a solid QB prospect in Clemens. Getting a future second round pick from the Redskins was brilliant mover. After that I think the Jets draft fell apart. Too many reaches in the later rounds. They didn't get value for their picks. A lot of head scratchers.

OVERALL: B- Great early picks followed by too many reaches.

5. Chad Vs THe World

leon washington could easily turn out to be a huge steal, he has all the tools, a bit undersized though,

4 and 29 were obvious, and were the right moves

third round was big disapointment, but shlegal could turn out nicely.

brad smith could be a randal el type guy, like the pic, (theres your playmaker)

dont know anything about the rest of those guys, but like the name titus

adios

6. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

you know what was weird, we had the 4th 29th picks on 4/29... sorry, it just dawned on me

POST 1000!!!!

#6 dwalsh, Apr 30, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  7. Warrior

Warrior Member

Good draft because they appear to have gotten players that fit their system -now time will only tell if they have the abilty to draft talent that is NFL caliper. There were no reaches because they got players they wanted at that time in the draft where they wanted them ( now Kiper is another story) and, also, were able to add an extra pick today and acquire a 2nd rounder for next year. Pretty good stuff.

8. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

If that's your firm belief then you should be giving the Jets an A for every pick.

9. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Very good analysis. I was unsure who anyone was from after the Clemmons pick, so this helps out a lot. I was away for most of the draft, so I only caught bits and pieces. Smart, level-headed, and well thought out analysis though.

10. jetman8094

jetman8094 New Member

Not necessarily because I don't always believe "their guy" will make it. Anthony Schlegel, I feel will make it.

11. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

I don't know why everybody hates on Schlegel. Yeah we probably could have picked him up with one of our later picks, but he was nice at Ohio State. AJ & Bobby C. got most of the shine there but Schlegel is a good player.

12. jetman8094

jetman8094 New Member

I agree with you I don't know why everyone is hating on this pick. Would people still hate it if it was a round later?