Jason Pociask, TE, Wisconsin at #150

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dbatesman, Apr 30, 2006.

1. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Means one of two things:

1) We drafted him to be a FB.

2) Jolley, Baker, Dreesen. If he stays as a TE, Dearth can pack his bags. No way they keep 5 TEs on the roster and Dreesen is a LSer. Buh-bye Dearth.

2. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

i defer to those with much more football knowledge than me, i.e. the FO and coaching staff. however, while I assume they are drafting best player available and/or the highest rated player on the board, there doesn't seem to be much consideration given to the fact that a player could be available later in the draft.

3. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

Nice late pick up for a good short yardage blocking TE/FB

4. J-e-t-s123

J-e-t-s123 New Member

Be careful what u say-one of you might get picked next

5. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Our first 3 picks were perfect-and besides Washington-i havent understood any since

6. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

Watch more football then.

7. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

simply...fantastic.

8. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

Makes you wonder who is running the draft? There was a switch-off at some point it seems like.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He's gonna move to fullback...

10. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

Think of a football as a house they are getting all of the pieces too build it. You have to have role players.

11. DGrab

DGrab New Member

Oh c'mon man, this guy is a dime a dozen, not to mention that Wisconsin actually has probably the best short yardage blocking type guy in the draft, Bernstein, but we take a total nobody.

12. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

I understand the need for role players, my point was about draft strategy not team building. It seems as if the 3rd rounders and the 5th rounder could have been grabbed later in the draft from what I have been reading.

13. Hazardous Waters

Doubters need to face the facts.

The Jets aren't going to draft the guy you want.

14. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

I love Bernstein and even said I thought he would be taken by the 4th round. He isn't very good at catching the ball so it is going to hurt him. He is the best blocking non lineman in the draft.

15. asscue35

asscue35 New Member

Te

watching NE you see how they use different players in different situations, Vrabel catching TD's DT playing fullback etc.I can see this tight end as FB on the 1 yrd line or two yard line. Not every player drafted will be drafted to start or play a specific position. We need versertile players who can play Multiple positions, not to mention the fact that our TE's are not known as great blockers.I am not second guessing the coaching staff because I understand that their task is different from ours as fans.We look at games on Tv, we never interview, or look at tape or test these players, so lets defer to those who are part of the screening process and not act like there could have been better players we could have picked.Our Fo has a strategy, we do not know what that strategy is and our FO has to find players who fit the strategy.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I tend to disagree. I think Dreesen is as good as gone. Dearth has botched on snap in five years. He's one of the best in game, you don't just throw him away because you think Joel Dreesen is half decent. He can't block for shit, and he's a half-decent receiver. I think Dreesen is the od man out.

17. transplanted jet

transplanted jet New Member

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed in the choice. No way he was the 'best athlete' on the board.

I know we want 'character' but AJ Nicholson would've been a good snag.

18. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Look at how the FO is drafting, they are taking players and signing players that can play mulitple positions. Teague, Clement, Posciak(sp?), Smith (WR), not to mention most of the guys we are drafting project to be great STs players.

Dreesen is an average blocker, good hands, and can LS. He played in limited time last year, but everytime I saw him he got better. He is a LSer AND a TE with alot of upside.

Dearth is ONLY a LSer. He absolutely sucks as a TE - can't catch, can't block, can't run routes, and is slow as hell. And he is also getting older.

So ask yourself who fits the mold of the team the FO is obviously building: A one dimensional LSer, or a young TE/LSer with alot of upside?

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Once the draft is over the quality FA's go quickly. I don't mind the pick if the Jets have him targetted as an H-back/ST type player. As a TE he's going to be really iffy except in the big man sets.

20. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I don't get it. Isn't Joel Dreesen supposed to be a blocker? Pocisask is incapable of catching the ball, so I have to assume that they are gonna try to make him a fullback. Still, it seems like somewhat of a waste.

#40 kinghenry89, Apr 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2005