When the heck do we start Clowney?!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by StreetFighterJet, Aug 25, 2009.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

How do you see the WR routes on TV? The only time I ever get to see them is when they show a replay to focus on the route.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You can see their initial cuts before the stupid camera man focuses on the backfield, and from what I have seen from Clowney, some of his speed is pretty much negated but sluggish initial cuts. I admit I'm not seeing the complete product, though. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

3. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

I'd say that calling Clowney a faster, more sure handed version of Lee Evans is overreacting to a few preseason catches over 3rd string DB's... but maybe it's actually me who's living in fantasy land. This conversation has boggled my mind so thoroughly, it's possible that I'm the one who's smoking crack -- who knows.

4. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

If his deep threat ability does indeed keep the safeties honest... even in a ball control offense, don't you want him out there all the time? If he is on the field, will opponents still load up the box? I think that is all the more reason to keep him on the field. If it takes an extra second for a safety to come up on a running play, that could mean another yard an RB can go without getting hit by a safety. I think that helps the running game... and could even mean Leon has that extra second to break.

Make teams have to account for Clowney's speed on every play. That's how I'd like to see him used. Then, as the Jets pound the ball well into the second half, and the safeties start to cheat up... call Clowney's number.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

^ bingo!

A rookie QB means teams will want to stack the box. A bunch of possession receivers will give them even more reason to stack. Clowney will either force them to keep safety help over the top or Sanchez can dial up the bomb.

6. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Dude... one more time here... I never said that "Clowney was a faster, more sure handed version of Lee Evans", so stop beating that horse. Clowney's published 40 time is faster than Evan's published time, so let's put that one to bed. Aside from 40 times, Clowney also looks like he has a step on Evans in terms of on field speed to me. That is opinion, and an arguable point.

Evans never had great hands. Good enough, but far short of great. What I SAID was : PERHAPS Clowney has better hands. That is hardly a crack smoking induced comment. It's in fact a very reasonable one... perhaps...

Main Entry: 1per?haps
    Pronunciation: \pər-ˈhaps, ˈpraps\
    Function: adverb
    Etymology: per + hap
    Date: 1528
    : possibly but not certainly : maybe

7. abyzmul

I agree with you if Clowney can become an all-around type of receiver. This includes being a good downfield blocker, because we can't just send him on 9 routes all day long.

8. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

I understand what the word perhaps means. Thanks. Your suggesting
    he has better hands. You're also suggesting he's faster... obviously they're not going to race each other any time soon, but in my opinion, that's also a dubious statement.

Let's not forget that you ALSO said that he's the future #1 Receiver for the Jets. So the basic tone of your post is that this guy is a real gem going from being a practice squad player that's been waived to the future #1 WR on a team in a few short years. That doesn't seem like a stretch to you at all?

9. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Whoever your starters are on offense should be clear this weekend. I would think you would want your starting unit as a whole on the field for at least a half to get some cohesiveness going and make sure they are comfortable working together in live game situations.

10. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

A stacked box isn't necessarily a bad thing. The 04 team faced a stacked box almost ever game and it was the best running team we have had in years, maybe ever? We matched up with the stack and ran the ball anyway.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

We also had 6 o-linemen on the field every play and Curtis Martin.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

then let's do it again.

6 OL, Sanchez, RB, Keller Cotch and Clowney or Stuckey depending on the audibles.

Sanchez is going to need that kind of running game to lean on.

He needs to be Flaccoed.

13. abyzmul

When he said 6 OLmen I think he was talking about having Becht on the field. We really lack an good blocking TE and it's going to show in the running game.

14. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

we can always motion a backup O-lineman out wide on every play:wink:

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

with the TE depth we have, i'd put turner or hunter in there at TE.

16. maglex

maglex Member

17. abyzmul

Yeah, unfortunately having Turner on the field every rushing down means we have the same number of reliable receiving options as we had when Becht was on the field. They will know what kind of play it is before the huddle breaks.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

19. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

In the Rams game he made a nice catch on a curl route or whatever, about 10 yards downfield and took a hit. I was happy to see that. I don't know if he'll ever be a blocker downfield like Keyshawn or someone like that, but I'd love to have his speed out there. Right now he's my first choice for the job.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

I wouldn't have an issue with this considering the way Ryan expects to win games. So long as we're winning, I don't give a shit if it's 3.5 yards and a cloud of dust every offensive play.

5 starting OLmen
    Hunter and Keller at TE
    TRich at FB
    Cotch or Clown at WR

I'd be just fine with that. Of course, if we lose a starting tackle, that's trouble.

edit: I don't think Schotty has it in him to run an offense like that though. He's no Paul Hackett. :metal:

#120 WhiteShoeWillis, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009