First Questionable Pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BK_Jetsfan, Apr 29, 2006.

1. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I watched a lot of Ohio State games. He didn't stand out to me. Mind you, no one pays me for my opinion, but still......

2. amliv15

amliv15 New Member

huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge reach

3. greenghost

greenghost Member

Inside Linebacker | Senior | Ohio St. Anthony Schlegel

Strengths:
    Has a solid frame and good bulk....Outstanding football instincts...Very tough and strong...Excels versus the run...Can deliver the big hit...A very solid and reliable tackler...Does a good job of taking on blockers...Smart with premier intangibles.

Weaknesses:
    Does not have the ideal height you look for...Is not a great athlete...Lacks elite speed, quickness and agility...Really struggles in coverage...Range is basically limited to the tackle box...Upside might be limited to that of a situational player.

Notes:
    Played his first two years at Air Force and was a two-year starter and team captain...Played in one of the most talented linebacking corps in recent memory and was productive...Will probably have to make it as a two down run thumper.

4. 1028

1028 Active Member

Im thinking we took him as an OLB...

5. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

6. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I don't know if it was a huge reach but I think we were targeting Gocong and traded down hoping he would be there are we got burned by Philadelphia.

Schlegel lacks the speed to play outside so I really question this pick.... not one of the better picks today.

7. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

8. dbatesman

dbatesman New Member

Yeah, I trust Tangini, but this seems odd. I can't find anything about this guy online, and I don't remember seeing him make much of an impact in the Ohio State games that I've seen.

But what REALLY gets me is that we could have stayed at 71 and gotten Chris Gocong, who I really like (and who would fit a position of need, rather than depth). I don't really get it.

9. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

I agree that it seems questionable but since Mangini is a D guy, there has to be something there! or atleast I hope!

10. Langdon15

Langdon15 New Member

I don't think he has the speed to play OLB.

I think this means more that Vilma will see time at OLB in certain situations.

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

They are building that LBing core like crazy. The depth is remarkable now.

12. TheGatoradeBoy

TheGatoradeBoy Active Member

He's also 25 years old.

13. cass2005

cass2005 New Member

great pick. i'm a huge buckeye fan. i watched him after he transferred from the air force academy. he played behind two great linebackers so he didn't get the press, but he will be outstanding. the staff did there homework on this one.

14. Buttle

Buttle New Member

Looks like a reach and a guy that should have been taken in the 5th or 6th round.

15. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

From draft scout:

In 2004, Schlegel played in every game, starting seven. He produced 84 tackles (46 solos) with 3.5 sacks and 10.5 stops for losses. What made those statistics even more impressive was the fact that he suffered a torn medial collateral ligament in his right knee prior to the Indiana game, but played the final six games with the injury before undergoing surgery after the season.

As a senior, Schlegel ranked second on the team with 82 tackles (41 solos), helping the team lead the nation in rush defense and rank fifth nationally in total defense. He had a pair of sacks, seven stops behind the line of scrimmage and a fumble recovery.

In 24 games with the Buckeyes, Schlegel started 19 times. He registered 166 tackles (87 solos) with 5.5 sacks for minus-29 yards and 17.5 stops for losses of 67 yards. He also deflected three passes and recovered a fumble. In 23 games at Air Force, he posted 164 tackles (80 solos), three sacks, 14 stops for minus-63 yards and five pass breakups with an interception.

I'm thinking big time reach!!!!

16. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Sounds like he was a bit of a reach, however, after reading his Scout's Inc. report he sounds like someone tailored for a 3-4 ILB

17. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

He seems like a decent player, but even if we switch to a 3-4, we have 3 guys that can play ILB. I guess Hobson stays outside even if we switch to the 3-4.

18. DGrab

DGrab New Member

This guy was much more likely not to get drafted at all than go in the 3rd round. This pick is so bad I have to question the FO as a whole. I've watched a lot of OSU football, this kid is nothing special at all. We traded Leonard Pope for a 6th round guy and 7th round pick.

19. NYJets4EverOnTop

I'll wait to see what we get at 97 before passing judgement. But there are plenty of LB's I can think of that didn't have great athletic ability coming into this league but their instincts and smarts allowed them to succeed. I can think of a few just on the Patriots.

20. ANJI

ANJI New Member