Jets looking for WR/Marshall or Bowe on radar? - NY Daily News

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pavlus53, Aug 19, 2009.

1. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Ideal situation:

-we trade a #2 pick to the Chiefs to grab Bowe (maybe throw in a #6 too...because we know the Jets will have problems dealing with Pioli)
    -we use our 2010 1st rounder on a player like Carlos Dunlap or Terrance Cody to shore up our d-line

obviously...this will depend on where our pick winds up in the draft order. I understand Dunlap is rated pretty high.....but he or Cody would be an excellent pickup.....and then realistically, Dwayne Bowe ends up being our 2nd round pick.......filling 2 of our most pressing needs.

just my .02

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Right.

Because we all know it was the GM's fault that the best team in the AFC after 11 weeks folded down the stretch.

And let's face it...He hasn't put any 'special' players on the roster...

Tanny is probably one of the most secure GM's in the sport right now.

3. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

+1 although I would watch the giants and see if we can get Barden or Hixon depending on cost

4. 73klecko

73klecko Member

BLASPHOMY!!

#64 73klecko, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  5. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

well no offense, but not to many teams have depth that can step in and not miss a beat when one of the top players in the NFL goes down, ala Mangold or faneca. As far as Jenkins goes, NO TEAM in the NFL has 2 quality NT on their team. If Jenks goes down we are screwed, but the same thing will happen to any other 3-4 team if their elite NT goes down....

i agree that we need to stockpile late round picks and bring in some serious depth, but if we are only trading a single pick and one of our young WR's thats not hurting the depth is it? we only give up a draft pick for a proven guy, when in actuality we were going to use a draft pick on an unproven commodity at the same position.....

I like the MBGreen scenario where we give up a #2 for either Bowe or Marshall, then next year we take our #1 and get some elite DL talent. I mean look at it this way, barring some crazy emergence this year from either Clowney/Stuckey/Smith, we are drafting a WR in either round 1 or 2 anyways. Why not trade a #2 for a proven NFL player who can easily blossom into a star in the right offense, with the right QB. Heck if we are starting Sanchez this year, lets give the guy every opportunity to succeed, if Dwayne Bowe is available for a #2 or a god given miracle price of like a #3 and one of our young WR's.... I think its a no brainer....

#65 nyjetsrule, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  6. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

I like the attributes of Marshall but he could be a TO Verion 2.0, although TO dominates he ends up spending time on lots of teams

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

that works, because i would have targeted a WR in round 2 anyway.

8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Yea, it's not like there are teams out there out there with Casey Hampton, Chris Hoke, and Ziggy Hood, or Vince Wilfork and Ron Brace on the same roster. The most important position in a 3-4 defense is the nose tackle and any team worth a shit knows you keep a decent backup in case one goes down. I'm not saying we need two starters, but someone aside from Pouha's useless ass who can't get a push against 2nd team defenders is a pretty good idea. There's a difference between serviceable backups, which SB winning teams have, and crap that gets picked up off of the street to fill out the roster, which we have.

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If anyone thinks we are getting Bowe or Marshall for less then a first they are out of their minds. Likely it would cost a 1st plus.

I'm not usually a fan of trading 1st round picks but would give up a 1st for Marshall in a heartbeat. He is a top 5 WR when healthy and is young. Bowe I would have to think about but would probably give a one for him too.

Next years draft projects to be a great one at this point, I'm not sure we can get the same kind of talent with a mid first though that Marshall and Bowe are.

10. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

for starters, Ziggy Hood is not a 3-4 NT. second Ron Brace is a rookie and hasnt proven he can do it on his own without a mammoth in B.J. Raji doing it next to him. Thirdly I never said we couldnt do better than Pouha because I am betting he is the worst backup NT in the NFL.

you pointed out only 1 team who runs the 3-4 that has a true proven backup NT, in the Steelers NFL's best defense last year, and one team that might have a good backup for Wilfork.

I am agreeing with you, I am just trying to point out these guys don't exactly grow on trees, and its not an easy thing to do to find good quality backups.

Next year however, the draft is littered with big time 3-4 DL prospects, just ask Mr. E, i'm sure he has a long list of them somewhere.... Next year is the year we find our backup NT, along with some DL players to eventually replace Ellis/Douglas.

11. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I seriously doubt we are making any big moves at this point. We have what we have at WR.

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Getting Brandon Marshall would be the equivalent of when Al Toon joined the Jets back in the day. A move like that would make our very questionable offense into a very explosive offense overnight.

I have been predicting 12-4, but I haven't been predicting Super Bowl contender. If we land Marshall, I'll upgrade my prediction.

I like what I've heard about Bowe as well though I honestly don't know a whole lot about him.

13. rillo

rillo New Member

Two Belicheat castoff's head coaches trading with the Jets?

I don't believe it.

14. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

For the Jets??? Seriously?? I hope for that, but I would be shocked if that happened.

15. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Definitely no one can call you a darksider.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

12-4 with a rookie QB and one of the toughest schedules in the league would be a miracle.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

i like the optimism, but if we get marshall and sanchez starts, there is a minuscule chance of a rookie QB winning it all.

18. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

Get it done Tanny!!!

19. ........

........ Trolls

I love the people calling Marshall a headache as a reason not to take him. Keyshawn was a bit of a headache, too. He was also a big part of an offense that nearly made the Superbowl. TO is a colossal headache. Last time I checked, he made the SB in Philly and they were a contender within 2 seasons of his ugly departure. People were talking about Marshall in this way last season too. He missed the season opener and some of the talk in Denver was absolutely brutal. All he did was show up and have another dominant season.

Here's a solution: get him out of Denver and cut him off from the bitches he can't seem to stop hitting. I'd trade a 2 in a heartbeat.

20. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I doubt Denver trades him for less than a 1, but if he can be had for a 2 I'm all for it