No Yanks @ A's

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by jkgrandchamp, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Holliday will be horrifically overpaid. I think I'd rather bring Damon back on a short contract, and see the Yanks drop bigger money on Mauer or Crawford the following year... which is also the year that they're going to need to figure out what to do with Jeter.

With Teixeira, Sabathia, A-Rod and Burnett, the Yanks have a hefty chunk of payroll tied up long-term. They're going to need to be smart about who they pursue in the next 2-3 offseasons.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yes, he will be expensive but will probably end up in Boston if we don't. I assume Matsui will be gone and Damon will move to DH. At least I hope so, he isn't getting any better in the field. Posada still has 2 more years after this, right? Didn't he get a 4 year deal?

#22 Don, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

As opposed to Mitre and Gaudin? It's pick your poison dude.

I've been in favor of bringing Damon back since last year. His contract year performance is definitely deserving as well. He throws like a girl, but he's done pretty well covering left field, and his bat has been great.

Do you honestly think we have a shot at Mauer and/or Crawford? I'd love to think so, but I don't know. Man, I would love those guys in pinstripes. I don't know who I'd pick if I had to choose one though. I've been a big fan of Crawford as a Yankee for a while, but Mauer would be awesome behind the plate.

4. Don

I still doubt they bring in Mauer if Posada has another year left. 35 million for even one year for the catching position is a lot even for the Yankees.

5. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

I highly doubt we will have either crawford or mauer in pinstrips in the near future.

6. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Yes. I'd take either of them over Tomko.

If they avoid Holliday, then yes, I think they have a shot at one of those two guys. And one of Mauer or Crawford is a much better investment than Holliday, in my opinion.

Here's the thing, though. If you can bring Damon back for a one-year deal, then in 2011 you have the DH spot for Posada and have a pretty good backup catcher, too. If you bring Damon back for a two-year deal, then you have one year where Mauer is behind the plate, Damon is a LF/DH, and Posada is a DH/C.

7. Don

Yes, using Posada as DH for a year would work.

Jackson might be ready next year too so they will still have a problem even without Matsui. Gardner, Jackson, Cabrerra, Damon and Swisher at a minimum to fill 3 outfield spots and DH.

#27 Don, Aug 18, 2009
  8. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

with Teixeira blocking first, it's going to be difficult with Jeter and Posada.

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Okay, fair enough.

I'd absolutely agree with you. Both are far better investments than Holliday. I've wanted Crawford for a while now, but I think if they have to choose, the choice would have to be Mauer, right?

Posada's future with the team is at DH, which is great considering they were talking 1B as late as last year. As a backup catcher, I wouldn't mind seeing him once a week behind the plate.

The monkey wrench is Damon. I'm pretty sure I heard earlier this year he's looking for 3 years. EDIT: I just read the whole article, and he said he plans on playing 3-4 more years, and a "couple" with the Yankees.

What's really crazy is thinking about what he said about a DH rotation. ARod, Jeter, Posada, and him would all figure into that. I guess that should make Ramiro Pena feel confident going into 2010.

10. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Sorry, but im not much of a photographer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

12. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

They're not going to keep all of that group. If they think Jackson is ready, either Gardner or Melky is gone. Guaranteed. And depending on how Melky finishes the year, they might be comfortable trading Jackson... or giving him another year to develop at the very least. He's been struggling a bit lately, and hasn't developed much in the way of power. I'd still be patient with him on that front, though. His talent is still very raw.

And, Alio, if there was a choice, I don't see how anyone chooses Crawford over Mauer... but they might not have that choice. I'm just saying that I'd rather see them make a splash in 2011 with either of those two instead of chasing Holliday this upcoming offseason.

13. jkgrandchamp

jkgrandchamp Member

sect 114 all 3 games. U going to the Jets Raiders game out here?

#33 jkgrandchamp, Aug 18, 2009
  14. jkgrandchamp

jkgrandchamp Member

Last night was a fluke . The time change really does affect their play . but I think they will be fine for fenway. The A's announcers were laughing at the Yanks last night . But even a blind squirel will find a nut.

15. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I mostly agree with you.

I don't think Jackson will get traded. Melky has shown himself to be very streaky. Gardner is not as well rounded as we all would like. Maybe one of them gets traded, but I doubt Jackson will.

Trust me, I'd love to get Mauer. I'd go crazy if we could swing Mauer and Crawford. But we're heading toward rough times with guys like ARod, Jeter and Posada getting older and not making less money, so I agree, we probably won't have the choice, even if the choice of both is available.

I'd definitely take either over Holliday though.

16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'd definitely wait until 2011 to grab Mauer rather than spending on Holliday if it was a choice between those two. I like Holliday but Mauer is the most complete catcher in the game today. Not to mention he's an offensive machine.

Then again, whose to say the Yankees don't bring in high profile guys in both offseasons? (for '10 and '11)

Is there some imaginary threshhold that the Yankees cannot cross or risk endangering the competitive balance? Just wondering out loud, anyone feel free to respond.

17. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

It's not endangering competitive balance; we all know the Yankees couldn't give a flying rat's ass about that.

But money is still money, and eventually it runs out. They're not making the money from the Stadium they planned to. They're also going to be paying for ARod, Jeter, and Posada to DH at least once a week each. Obviously you have to fill in the holes in the infield when either Alex or Derek sits. Pena is a good baseball player, but there's a significant dropoff in overall talent from Alex or Jeter to Pena. They're also paying a lot of money in their rotation now, and Joba and Phil are eventually going to come due.

Obviously, if they can swing Mauer plus more, Cashman will bring in everyone possible. It's not going to be easy though.

18. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

If Jackson is ready, why would they let Gardener or Melky go?

19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Yeah pretty much agree.

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

They're not so bad. How early did you get to the park to watch warmups? I'm going to Fenway friday night.