Which WR would you like the J-E-T-S to sign?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jun 27, 2009.

?

Who do you want to add?

1. Plaxico Burress

47.0%
  2. Marvin Harrison

16.5%
  3. Well Dressed Amani Toomer

4.9%
  4. Some other veteran FA (Name who in thread)

7.9%
  5. Keep who we got: Cotchery, Stuckey, Smith, Clowney etc...

23.8%
  1. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

if burress is available to play the season it really isn't even a question. we can get him for little risk, and he can be the true number one we have needed for years.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I haven't read anything about the extent of the injury, but I think they would have mentioned nerve damage if it happened. Joey Porter got shot in the ass and it did not affect his career. I'm not advocating signing Burress, I don't really like the guy as a player just because of his lack of work ethic, but I'm not sure it's prudent to be that worried about the wound.

But Toomer... we don't need another possession receiver.

3. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Every now and then, you come up with an actual post. And when you, its pretty informative. Its true that if there was any nerve damage that would affect his play, it would have been all over the news.

But I would to see him in Green and White. He won't cost us pick and nor will it cost us a fortune to get him in. I think we can get him in for less than $3mil for one yr like a lease to buy option just like TO. If his legal preceedings take him away, let it go in yr 2 and hopefully Stuckey can step up in his 4th yr.

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

why does everybody keep feeding the pretense that Burress could be had on the "cheap"??!

the guy's agent is Drew Rosenhaus for christ sakes'......Plax is going to get PAID.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I still think the Jets should bring in a WR before camp begins next Friday. The Ravens, fearing Derek Mason is truly done, signed Drew Bennett today.

6. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

Assuming that Plax won't be signed, for ALL of the above reasons given, I voted for Harrison. I think he could be a big addition to the club, both as a mentor to our young receivers, and I still think he has a year or 2 in the tank as a productive player. He's a proven winner, a tough competitor, and a true LEADER on the field. All of these qualities would help our young QB learn quickly

7. abyzmul

Always assuming he didn't call out a hit on that dude that he shot at the first time. Dude is a thug.

8. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

who? Harrison?

9. abyzmul

Yuh huh...

10. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

I hadn't heard about him being in any kind of trouble...guess I'll cancel my vote then...........stick with what we got or do the trade with Cleveland

11. abyzmul

That ain't even the half of it:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3827402

12. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

13. abyzmul

If you're asking about whether he is that much of a turd, your guess is as good as mine.

14. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

It amazes me how Jet fans want this team to make the same mistakes with old declining or washed up veterans year after year. If last year's Favre disaster didn't educate Jet fans, nothing will.

The way you win in the NFL is by drafting well and developing your own talent at a cheap salary cap friendly salaries.

Harrisson is done. Besides his recent injuries and his off the field problems (which may be as bad or worse than Burress'), you can put a fork in him as a player on the field. He will be 37 in September. How many 37 year old receivers have had good seasons in NFL history???? Let's look at Harrison's last two years. In 2007 he missed most of the season, had 20 receptions for 247 yards and 1 TD. In 2008 he played the entire season and caught 60 passes for 636 yards and 5 TDs. This is with one of the best passing teams in NFL history!! What makes anyone think this guy can still play? And what makes anyone think he will even duplicate his below average 2008 stats on the Jets??

Now Toomer. He will be 35. His last two seasons are as follows

Year Rec Yards TD
    2007 59 760 3
    2008 48 580 4

He is also done. His 2008 numbers are horrible.

If we learned anything from the Favre fiasco its that signing over the hill vets prevent a team from learning what they have. Wouldn't it have been better to see if Clemens was an NFL QB in 08 than to waste a year with the "selfish one.?"

Now you want to do the same thing with our young WRs???? It takes an NFL receiver 2-3 years to develop. But they don't develop or get better standing on the sidelines watching old men try to revive their careers and make one last paycheck. The Jets are not winning the SB this year. They need to develop a QB. They might as well learn what they have at receiver also and develop that position.

Cotchery can be a top flight receiver in the right situation. He had very good seasons in 2006 and 2007. Favre set him back. As the first option, there is no reason he can't catch 70-80 passes for 1000+ yards and 7+ TDs.

Stuckey, in his first active season as the third receiver caught 32 passes for 359 yards and 3 TDs. With a full time job as a starter, there is no reason he can't double those stats, which puts him ahead of Harrison and Toomer. It's time to see if he can play. The same goes for Clowney and Smith.

Signing Burress to a one year deal also does nothing to advance the progress of this team. Nobody is going to pay Burress big money for a long term deal. The Jets are the wrong team for a one year deal. They are not winning the Super Bowl and it puts our young receivers on the bench again.

Go with what is already on the team. If it isn't good enough, upgrade next year through free agency and/or the draft. But to leave it a mystery for another year in favor of a veteran is just plain stupid.

15. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

I thought that Harrison was a LEADER who would help both our WR and QB but apparently I was wrong

16. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

If Rex really thinks that the Jets have their next WR on the roster then bring in Harrison. He'll be a good choice to mentor the guys we'll already have on the roster as far as route running, training, work ethic...etc. Once the final cuts come down and he hasn't proven himself to be a considerably better option than the players already on the roster we cut his ass and send him away with his (measly) signing bonus.

If Rex and Tannebaum think we need to bring in someone else because the other starter is not on the roster, then bring in Plax. Yea, his work ethic sucks and he's not a great teammate but he'll be a good choice as a stop-gap player and despite who his agent is, he will most likely be cheap; a 31 year old wide receiver coming off of a gunshot wound to his leg who hasn't played in a game since week 13 of last year...he doesn't really have that much going for him as far as leverage. Of course, all of this is assuming that Goodell doesn't suspend him for any extended period.

17. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

If the player is on the roster, there is no room for him if you bring in old man Harrison. The Jets will likely carry only 5 WRs. There's Cotchery, Stuckey, Clowney, Smith, and one more young player from a large cast. If Harrison is here, he takes that 5th spot and the young player does not get to develop. It is a huge mistake.

This leadership mentoring thing is so overblown it is a joke. Harrison is a jerk. Besides being quiet, he has huge off the field problems. If players want to lear route running, its time Cotchery taught them. There are also this thing called coaches. And if they want to study Harrison's route running, let them look at his film from 2006 and before when he actually was an NFL caliber player. Enough with the "bring in the old guys" routine to patch up a perceived weakness. I've seen the Jets do it and fail for 20 years. It doesn't work. The players underperform. They have no interest in helping out young players on a team they have no allegiance towards and who they perceive as their competition. If Harrison still had it, he'd be the Colts #3, not on the street.

Same with Burress. If he was worth having, don't you think a Super Bowl contender like the Giants whose current WR corps is thinner than tissue, would take him back???

Just one, let's see what we have on our own roster and develop them. The only guys I would consider adding to the roster are young studs who will be here for years - Marshall (although he has trouble brewing) or Boldin (I want no part of Edwards). The price has to be reasonable in terms of picks and money, however.

18. KleckoNamathToon

Harrison is shot and has too much baggage. He is the last guy we need here.

19. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

it's not looking like the cardinals have the cap space to give boldin the money he wants or deserves with only being 2 million under the cap...i say we try to get somthing worked out there...just my opinion...

20. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

On an interview with La Canfora on NFL.com he said he talked to teams in need of a vet WR and while some were interested in Toomer many believed Harrison was done.
    I believe the same...
    We'll carry 5/6 WR this season... Cotchery, Stuckey, Smith for sure.... and then Wright, Clowney, Camp Fodders and Veterans like Toomer will battle it out for the last 2/3 places.

PS sorry if I said some obvious things :p