Leon a Possible TC Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CatoTheElder, Jul 15, 2009.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The problem is he wants to make "sproles money" which is a franchise tender of $6.something for one year. I just got an email update that the chargers won't be signing him to a long term deal. He's trying to get a long term deal that isn't reasonable in many peoples opinion.

2. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

this doesn't shock me at all

3. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I wonder when he gets a deal, if he'll still be used as a KR; if not, that would make the argument of his effectiveness on ST irrelevant, which will affect how much he deserves.

One would think that if he's given an extension that he'll surely be featured more in the Offense, as all of us can see that in the past two seasons, he hasn't had enough Offensive touches. Having said that, if that's the case, then he probably will see fewer KRs lest he gets injured -- not to mention, he'd need more rest in each game as well as the whole season so that he can be a more effective RB, both running and receiving.

Currently, under this contract, he's an underpaid multi-threat player; but will that change if he gets his payday? Perhaps he wouldn't deserve as much as $5-6 mill because it's uncertain just how good he'll be for an entire season when he's much more involved in the Offense and [possibly] less involved in STs.

4. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

5. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

6. agrich

agrich New Member

If he were seeking that and the Jets were saying no, I'd fully support his view. But based on what we've read (and that's all we have to go by), he's apparently looking for $6 million per year. And that's why the Jets can't just "pay the man."

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think Leon will sit out of camp until the week before preseason game 3, and when he comes back there will be reports of 'progress in contract negotiations'. Leon will go into the season without a new contract but will have one at least by week 8.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

^ How many TD's and yards will he have at that point Mrs. Cleo?

9. abyzmul

I think Leon's contributions as an all-purpose player could justify close to the money a feature back gets. The field position he gives us negates the lesser amount of carries he would get in past years.

10. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Agreed, that's what I'm saying. Even with no increased role, what Leon brings is tougher to replace than a featured back. We can get another Thomas Jones tomorrow, as long as the O-line stays intact, there's only so many Leon Wasingtons around that do what he do how he do it.

11. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Update (which is really no update), on negotiation status per Leon's agent.... more like a blame game statement.........

http://http://www.nypost.com/seven/07162009/sports/jets/agent__deal_delay_not_leons_fault_179507.htm

POST STAFF REPORT with MARK CANNIZZARO

Last updated: 6:54 am
    July 16, 2009
    Posted: 2:04 am
    July 16, 2009

Leon Washington's agent says a contract extension with the Jets is being delayed by the team, not the running back.

Alvin Keels used his Twitter page yesterday to reveal, "I can't say that I'm the one holding this deal up. I can only continue to work though."

Washington boycotted some of the Jets' offseason program in search of a contract extension, and is thought to want a multiyear deal worth at least $5 million per season. He did participate in the final minicamp.

The team opens training camp July 30. It is unknown if Washington will report on time.

Keels wrote, "I'm not good with odds, but I can say that getting an extension means a lot to LW. We will see what happens."

Washington's situation is complicated by the pending expiration of the NFL's collective bargaining agreement. Because there is no new agreement in place, players likely will not become unrestricted free agents until after they have been in the league six years, opposed to the current threshold of four years.

So Washington, who is entering his fourth year, instead likely will be a restricted free agent after this season, meaning the Jets can give him a tender offer of much less money than they would offer him as an unrestricted free agent.

This is the primary issue Mike Tannenbaum is dealing with when speaking to Keels.

Washington is believed to be seeking a deal with guaranteed money in the $17.5 million neighborhood that Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew got.

Washington is due to earn $535,000 in 2009, the final season of his original four-year contract.

Running back Thomas Jones, who is due to make $900,000 in the third year of a four-year $20 million contract, also is seeking a new contract

12. abyzmul

:grin: It's my version of predicting the exact numbers on a powerball. You never get the entire thing right but sometimes you will get a number or two.

13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Ummm....Are you daft?

The only reason Leon did not surpass 3000 yards last season was lack of touches...

Hardly his fault.

4 carries and 4 receptions a more game, and he's a 3000 yard player. And probably scores 5 more td's.

He's not a RB, or a WR (Boldin wants 8 mil for less production) ..he's a guy that changes the game on any one touch, in 2 of 3 phases of the game.

His ability, and proven production actually merits more money than that.

He is the Jets most dynamic offensive player, and he plays offense and ST.

14. Hobbes3259

Yup. See above.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Ftr I think Leon's ypc would go down with significantly more carries. He's not an every down back. But I do think he's a rare package of talent. The Jets need him.

Pay him about $5 mil.

16. Hobbes3259

Not significantly...two touches per qtr.

17. abyzmul

I don't agree. Last season, Leon got the ball in measured doses and had success... but Schotty and Mangini had a puzzling habit in the parts of the first and most of the second half of the season of abandoning the run and letting Favre throw a large percentage of the plays. His season average was 4.75 carries a game. That's pathetic for a guy with his talent.. I think that if he could average about 8-10 carries a game, it wouldn't tear him apart. 10-15 might be pushing it with his frame, but you have to get this guy on the field. He is too good.

18. 954Jet

954Jet New Member

there is a good Leon interview where he talks about wanting a new deal and to be a jet.
    The interview is on playersvoice site