ESPN Morning Update: NO and JETS Negotiations Status (Whats Your Move?)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Vilma#51, Apr 29, 2006.

1. pisano24

pisano24 Member

Mortgaging the future???? We're talking 2 picks!!! What will we get with the 29th pick? A center? We just signed a center - and what if Mangold sucks? Bush is the next LT or Marshall Faulk. You DO that trade. Two firsts and a third for Reggie Bush - DONE!!! NOT DOING THIS DEAL is mortgaging our future!

Ugh... where do you guys come up with this stuff?

2. RockVilmaRock

RockVilmaRock New Member

If they would it would have been done at #1...Williams could have been had at #4.....

3. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

NO said their not trading their pick most likely but will listen to offers.

4. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

its called driving up the price man. Bush isnt gonna come cheap. you think they got money like that to splurge on 3 rbs. and 2 of them with about 25+ million in guranteed money each.

5. Smokeeater

Smokeeater New Member

Giving up that many picks for a guy who will demand a tremendous amount of money is not worth the risk. Stay where we are and see what happens.

6. amliv15

amliv15 New Member

New Orleans isnt fooling anyone, first they say they will still draft leinart even though they just signed brees for a huge deal, now they say they are taking Bush, while Mcallister is signed to a huge deal and they just signed Bennett. I dont buy it for one minute that they'll take Bush, but if they do, it'll be nice to have two good runningbacks for a few years and not be able to afford help at anyother positions.

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

4, and 29, is ok, but a 4th this year, or a 3rd next year, is about the ceiling.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Bush MIGHT be the nexty Marshall Faulk. then again he might not.

at 4,29, you could get AJ Hawk, and either Maroney or Addai.....

Thats the decision you are facing. (I dont think there is any $$$$$ per impact play, by taking Vernon Davis at 4, though I'd love to have him if the cap wrent an issue.)

3,4 with Vilma and Hawk, plus Martin breaking in Maroney or Addai....

Reggie Bush.

And remember, the speed differential is not anywhere near the same when moving up to the NFL. Sometimes those Brilliant cuts, mean getting tackled from behind.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The 4, 29 and 71 = 2675 trade value.

The 2 = 2600 trade value.

The difference between the two picks is a mid round 4th round pick. If Tangini blinks and makes that trade or worse they have surrendered a player or more and a bunch of depth in order to get one potential super star.

What teams have given up a lot of depth and value to acquire star runningbacks in the past?

The Minnesota Vikings traded the better part of two drafts away for Herschel Walker in his prime. They collapsed and watched the team they traded with win 3 super bowls.

The New Olreans Saints traded an entire draft for Ricky Williams. They got marginal improvement out of the move until Williams went away and now 7 seasons out have collapsed again in what would have been the prime year of their 1999 draft class.

Trading a ton of value for a runningback does not work. Never has and never will.

10. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

If I'm New Orleans, the only way I give up that pick is if I am totally floored by an offer. Something that is much better for my side in value than any draft chart would suggest. Now, as a Jets fan, I hope we're not going to give up that much. As great as Bush is, you cannot give up your entire draft for ONE player.

11. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

He played poorly in the playoffs and they were in a weak NFC. Ben won the SB in his 2nd year and wouldn't have cost the Giants anything. Who knows what Rivers would've done on the Giants too.

They have improved via FA but they could've been better with younger players had they drafted them. Madison may be a slight upgrade but he's on the downside of his career and who knows what Arrington will do though I like the move.

12. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

im sorry i just dont believe big ben would be better in NY than eli.. big ben is surrounded by a great cast espcially his defense.. all his mistakes gets shadowed because the defense doesnt give up alot of points.. eli in his 2nd year is progressing very well. imo the sky's the limit for him. you can deny it . but you know deep down you probably feel the same.

#32 hydro51, Apr 29, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  13. lightning

lightning Active Member

Eli has better skills than big ben without a doubt. If they get a speedster that offense will be top 3

14. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

All comes down to where you fall on Reggie Bush.

If you believe that Bush is one of the great running backs to come out of college in the last decade...then you make the trade.

If the team is being built the way the Patriots were built...the Pats didnt build their team with Top five draft picks...they didnt have those picks. They built with great middle round picks and key free agency signings that "fit the system".

With that said, if the Pats were ever in position to take a Reggie Bush...they would do it in a heartbeat....like finding a golden egg.

Why not take him if you believe..and they do believe..that they can fill the rest of the roster with "smart signings/picks".

If everything pans out, the Jets, if they make the trade, would end up with a normal draft and a normal amount of picks.

Makes for a more boring draft day...but you have Reggie Bush...if you believe Bush will be great.

This isnt exactly a Ditka/Ricky Williams future breaker.

#34 jaywayne12, Apr 29, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Eli is a poor percentage passer by NFL standards. He doesn't make up the difference with a huge number of yards per completion (different than YPA) the way some bombers do.

Odds on him being a great QB are low at the moment. That might change with the right receivers but I'll have to see it to believe it.

The trade-up for Manning is on the cusp of failure at the moment. It's not there yet but it could be widely seen as a failure by this time next year if Manning has not taken the next step towards stardom.

16. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I with you on this 100%

17. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

18. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

THEY MADE THE PLAYOFFS!! with him starting at qb for his 1st season in his 2nd year. ur statement sdoesnt even make sense. both plaxico and shockey had career years

19. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

I actually agree with you on Ben, I'm just saying in terms of results he's won a SB and Eli hasn't and he wouldn't have cost the Giants anything. My point isn't that Eli sucks but that I feel they gave up too much for him and the sum of the players they could've gotten instead would be greater then what Eli can do for the team by himself.

20. lightning

lightning Active Member

and he was the best 4th quarter QB in football