Jets re-sign TE Franks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bricket-head, May 11, 2009.

1. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

I don't get this. And I probably know Bubba & his carer better than anybody here.

Maybe he came cheap?

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Looking at last season and given the fact he came of an injury I'm guessing he signed for the veteran minimum...

3. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I dont have a problem with Franks coming back. But the Jets still need to find a blocking TE.

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Pathetic. I still cannot believe we let Baker go.

5. Jam.

Jam. Banned

If the dude can block, bring him on.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Those are strong feelings for a merely decent player.

7. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Bubba can block. That's probably the only reason they kept him, now that Baker is gone. I like Keller a lot, but his blocking is just not there

8. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that Franks was re-signed for his blocking. He has always been known as a pass catching TE with barely average blocking ability.

9. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

That's simply not true. The Packers even used to line him up against defensive ends.

It's more accurate to say he is known as someone who came out of college touted to be a good pass catching TE, but turned out to be an average pass catcher (except for an unusual amount of success in the red zone his first few years) and, after some work on it over the years, an above average blocker.

This is not to say that is what he is today though. He's had a lot of injuries the last few years (something he never used to have), so it's been hard to be sure he still has the skills. Well, for me anyway.

10. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

I'll be shocked if we don;t sign another vet before the season starts. Whats the deal with June 1st cuts anyway this year? Isn't there something funky with the CBA?

11. Bricket-head

So? Don't most TE's block DE's on sweep plays and off tackle runs and shit? I don't think that makes him a good blocker..

12. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

I must politely repeat that, if you think Franks today is a good pass catcher and a poor blocker, you have it completely backwards. He hardly played last year so I understand how you might be fuzzy in your understanding by just watching his limited play on the Jets, but his extensive play with the Packers before last year clearly bears out my point.

13. Bricket-head

I don't think he's a good receiving threat at all anymore... He can block but he's not a beast blocking TE. He's overall a very meh player. Has been for half his career ever since he got injured.

14. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

He's a dropper. He dropped almost every pass that went his way and he also struggled with that in GB before he was cut loose.

15. Bricket-head

Yeah after he got injured he got the dropsies and started hearing footsteps so when he did catch the ball he'd go immediately to the turf.

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Was much better then average. Just wasn't utilized the way he should have been.

17. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

He was Favre's go to TE in GB. I'm just amazed that he's only 31... seems like he's been around a long time.

18. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

No, Donald Lee was Favre's go-to TE in 2007. He had a fantastic season, Franks was clearly the backup. Bubba was also second fiddle from the moment Lee came to green bay, in 2005, even though Lee himself was not that good those first couple years (one of the problems for those team was that there was no go-to TE).

The idea of Bubba being Favre's go-to TE is very out of date, at least five years old. That's the reason maybe Favre raved a bit about Dustin in his first days here -- he hasn't really had a decent TE in a decade, since Chmura and Jackson, and even a rookie looks good at that point.