NFL Live breaks down Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IrishSteveZ, May 12, 2009.

1. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

NFL Live is breaking down Mark Sanchez, with Trent Dilfer giving us the pros and Merrill Hodge is giving the cons.

I'm sure its on again later tonight.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Dilfer will probably win, he has been honing his Mark Sanchez ball-washing skills for like 6 months.

3. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

Nope they gave Hodge the win based on # of games played.

4. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I actually think Dilfer is more honest and critical of the NFL/players than most analysts. It seems he doesn't have an allegiance to any "corporation" like many big name guys do, and therefore, he doesn't hold back as much; although, he's employed by ESPN...

5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

So for a guy that missed the piece, what were the pro's and con's?

6. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

What time is the re air?

7. fr0zensm0ke

fr0zensm0ke Member

I hate it when analysts use the "only started 16 games" line... its such a cop out

No, I'm not one of the guys who thinks he's going to the pro bowl this year, or that he's going to be a MVP necessarily ever. However, I think its a little childish to use that line as a main argument for him potentially failing in the NFL.Anyone who can look up his USC profile can plainly see how many games he started. Its even worse that he "won" the argument....

That being said:

Pro's:
    Intelligence
    Leadership qualities
    Good footwork
    Experience in a pro-style offense
    "gym rat" mentality
    accurate throw
    strong (not cannon) arm

Con's
    not much experience with failure.. (there are times in the NFL when he's going to fail, and fail badly.. it happens to everyone sometimes.. and it will be interesting to see how he deals with it
    Hasn't had any "game winning drives" but also hasn't had many opportunities.
    Meadowland's wind (though we'll see how bad it is in the new stadium.)
    Yes, only 16 games started at USC.
    Doesn't have a cannon arm..

There's just a lot more to talk about than his #of starts... would it have been great to have seen him start his frosh and sophmore year? sure... but I don't think it makes or breaks him either way...

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

i still cant believe Trent Dilfer won a superbowl

9. 1usctrojan

1usctrojan New Member

With Merrill Hodge as one of the analysts, not surprising he is the "con" guy. He is a whiny little puke that hates any player out of a big program. He went to Idaho for God's sake, taken in the 100th round (ok, maybe an exaggeration), he has always hated SC guys.

One thing is correct though....Mark never was able to carry the team in our losses, when the guys played bad, so did he - he was unable to rally the troups. He did not display that cool head like his predecessors, Palmer and Leinart when the game was on the line.

Mark might have gained that had he stayed one more year, he has the physical tools.

#9 1usctrojan, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
  10. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

Hodge did kind of call it in 06 when he said no QB was worth taking in the 1st round. He said that Clemens was better than Vince Young and Matt Leinart which I actually think is true.

That being said, I hope Sanchez proves him wrong!

11. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

^Actually Cutler has proven he was 1st round talent

12. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

That is true. I forgot he said Cutler was the only guy worth taking. I don't buy Cutler's hype, but he is certainly the most successful QB of that class.

13. 1usctrojan

1usctrojan New Member

He also did an about face on Leinart during the MNF game against the Bears when he basically shredded that vaulted Bears defense.

14. Jam.

Jam. Banned

Can we get a video link like with the Rex Ryan interview? Or is it unavailable?

15. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

Very interesting perspective. Can you elaborate on this? I don't follow them too closely--I seem to recall 2 losses--and at least 1 against a much weaker opponent? Can you go into more detail about Sanchez behavior in these losses? Did he ever lead a significant comeback for a victory?

16. irreverent ad

irreverent ad New Member

Way too much analysis on these guys. So much of it is down to how he fits into the system.

The media seem to be piling it on him...more so than Stafford strangely!

17. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

So we basically have another Chad Pennington.

18. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

He's only played 16 games. Not an opinion, its a fact, and I know we hate facts around here. He's not ready for the NFL. Its a joke that he's the 5th pick.

19. jgangstahippie7:18

I think getting Sanchez at number 5 was a steal.
    If he would have waited one more year he would have gone #1 (unless Bradford declares)

20. CrackTheSky

CrackTheSky New Member

Just remember when you say "He's not ready for the NFL" THAT is an opinion and not a FACT. If its a joke that the Jets picked Sanches in the 5th spot of the draft, why should I buy into your position instead of the Jets; after all, you are just some random guy on his computer calling out people that make their living evaluating football for a bad choice. Anyone can point the finger and not back it up. So let me ask you this, your the Jets GM and you see a player you think is going to special over the long haul, do you skip that player and the skills you feel he brings because he only has limited experience at the position? Experience is something Sanchez will get with the Jets, the question is what does he bring to the table.