Shonn Greene info

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreenMachine, Apr 26, 2009.

1. alwaysbeenajetsfan

alwaysbeenajetsfan New Member

he reminds me of Jamal Lewis. I like how he continues to move his legs and brakes many tackles that way. In some places it looks like he has very good balance. Too many spin moves IMO though. Think he could be very good for us though.

2. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

Rashean Mathis, Brandon Jacobs, Larry Johnson (well, he had his moment)... Steve Atwater

3. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

True, but when I think of numbers, a star usually comes to mind.

20- Barry Sanders
    21- Tiki Barber
    22- Emmitt Smith
    23- Michael Jordan, love this number.
    etc.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If he's Jerome Bettis it's a defensible trade. If he turns out to be a step slow for the NFL, which is a real possibility, then he's going to be a disaster for the price we paid. I keep looking at him and remembering Ron Dayne getting stacked up in the backfield because he just didn't have the quickness required to get to the holes that opened up in front of him. He was a good bit faster than Shonn Greene also.

5. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

Oh you meant it like that. Yeah, no player really defines #27.

6. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

I love this pick. And the fact that he is Greene.

7. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

he's gonna be an excellent running back for the jets.

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Shonn Greene - 4.62

Knowshon Moreno - 4.61

Brandon Jacobs - 4.56

Ron Dayne - 4.66

Steven Jackson - 4.55

Frank Gore - 4.66

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I believe Dayne ran a 4.53 and then a 4.58 at the combo but I've been off on numbers before.

The point is that with all of the other issues surrounding Greene's play he's going to have to excel at actually running the ball and 4.62 is slow for that to be the case unless he's strong enough to not care if somebody gets a hand on him in the backfield which will happen much more often at the NFL level than it did at Iowa.

That's what ultimately made Dayne a non-impact rusher at the NFL level. People got a hand on him and knocked him off kilter before he got to the line and his impact was much less than it was at Wisconsin as a result.

10. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

I can honestly say Greene reminds me of Earl Campbell. I mean it. If not for being so old and only playing one year he would have been a first rounder.

11. al greenspam

al greenspam New Member

What's up with that scouting report saying he's a little short? for a running back?
    he's listed at 5'11'', and even assuming that's the usual b.s. and he's more like 5'9'' (which it appears he could be in the videos), what's wrong with that?
    if anything, being a little short seems to be an ADVANTAGE for an RB -- you squirt between holes in the offensive line before the defense can locate you, and staying low to the ground keeps you from getting routinely exposed to big hits. There's a reason Brandon Jacobs (6'4'') and Adrian Peterson (6'1'') have acquired reputations for being injury-prone, despite being bigger backs.
    Of the NFL's top 18 running backs (by yardage) last season, 12 were listed at 5'11'' or shorter, including Michael Turner (5'10''), DeAngelo Williams (5'9''), Clinton Portis (5'11''), our own Thomas Jones (5'10''), Steve Slaton (5'9''), Chris Johnson (5'11''), LaDainian Tomlinson (5'10''), Frank Gore (5'9''), Marshawn Lynch (5'11''), Derrick Ward (5'11''), Jamal Lewis (5'11''), Brian Westbrook (5'10'').
    Among two of the greatest, most durable backs ever, Emmitt Smith was listed at 5'9'' and Barry Sanders at 5'8''.
    I think I've made my point. That point alone in the scouting report makes me question its entire validity, but whatever Greene's shortcomings (as it were) may be, height as NOT among them.
    Now his speed, on the other hand...

12. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Running the 40 and hitting the hole quick enough have very little to do with each other. I'm not expecting Jerome Bettis out of him but I think Greene will be a solid player and fits Rex Ryan's mold of what he's looking for.

13. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

rodney hampton 27

14. hawkeyeGreene76

hawkeyeGreene76 New Member

dude, hawkeye fan here, hes very good. He had a great oline to run behind but you cannot deny his yac. Its very high. Dude ran a 4.5 flat at the iowa pro day and has a great initial burst. He is every bit as good as Beanie Wells with a tad less speed but his vision, footwork, and instincts are better. I could very well see Shonn be a feature back. Id rather have a 235 lbs rb run a 4.55 straight at you then a 205 lber dance around with 4.45 speed. You guys just picked up your own Marion Barber, room ready behind a pretty solid pro line. Watch his low center of gravity and leg strength. Dude is gonna wear defenses down.

He averaged 6.5 ypc against a minnesota team that had 9 in the box.

15. AussieJet

AussieJet New Member

Im a hack, but this dude looks hard to bring down, always seems to get an extra few yards by just keeping on pumping his legs. I think he'll be damn good.

Where to now with TJones?

16. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I Like everything i hear about this guy. He seems to be a workhorse who will be a bruiser at RB for us. 3rd Round Gem.

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Who are the two starters that the Jets got?

I did not watch every Hawkeyes game last year and really only saw Greene once. This is not like last year when I panned the Gladys Gholston pick. Gholston I saw play numerous times. Greene did not appear to have NFL speed and I saw several plays where Greene went down on first contact and showed no fight. I understand the You Tube highlights show him making all sorts of good plays, but highlight packages did the same with Gholston.

Trading away three picks to move up 11 spots on day 2 of the draft is really dicey and Greene had better pan out. That's all I'm saying.

Am I willing to bet any amount of money that Greene will turn out to be good or will be a flop? Absolutely not. I don't have enough to go on to form a really, really solid opinion. Just didn't impress me when I saw him play and that trade worries me. The 7th round pick is not a big deal. The issue is the 4th rounder they gave away.

18. AussieJet

AussieJet New Member

We traded away 2 picks, and swapped one... why dont people understand this concept!

19. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

to me Greene embodies what football is all about. Love, love, love this pick. Get ready for some AFC North style of play boys. :grin:

20. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I get what you are saying Cakes, giving up that much value puts a much added importance on the player picked. That said, if you are worried about a guy we traded up for panning out, worry a hell of a lot more about Mark Sanchez than Greene. This weekends draft will be defined by Sanchez no matter how the other two guys turn out (suppposing neither becomes a HOF) whether thats fair or not, it doesnt really matter.