Am I the only one who thinks this has been a TERRIBLE draft....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tanknyc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

Actually, I was fine with Clemens and was hoping when we traded up that we were going for Crabtree. We could have had Britt or Nicks if we stayed put and gone for TE Quinn in rd 2. Then moving up for Greene in 3 wouldn't have been such a reach.

I guess that the biggest schism on the board comes from those of us who didn't think QB was our biggest need.

2. jetsmetsfan

jetsmetsfan New Member

Listen Ryans plan is to terrorize the opossing O with a relentless D and wearout the defense by pounding the ball on the ground. So we need a capt. to run the O and if anyone thought Clemmins or Ratliff was going to get it done your dreaming I think we made good moves and don't be suprised if T Jones is playing for Mangini and the jets get the reciever we need.

3. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

Coming from you, and seeing you on this board as long as I have, that may have been the best laugh I've had all year. I agree, but it's still funny.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Ryans plan is to win with defense and a running game so we needed a rookie QB?

KC or Ratty couldn't have handed the ball off and hit the occasional 5 yard out?

5. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

Our new coach wants to be a run heavy team, so drafting a RB is great, especially a big power back like Greene, it evens our RB's out and will make the running game stronger, which is why this more important to them then a WR would when theres only going to be probably 20 passes total thrown a game. I'm unsure about how I feel about Sanchez right now, the only thing I'm really worried about is when the fuck are we going to find some TE's.

6. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Lighten up.

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

People are crazy on these boards...

There was only a handful of players in this draft that would have had a major impact for us, this draft was very weak. It was awful, and we realized this early. We wanted nothing to do with this draft, outside of a couple quality players, which we got. It is that simple.

Why do you think the Bears and Cowboys wanted out of the first day completely? It was the same as us...

Bronco's front office should all punch each other in the face, I can't believe the gave up almost all of their picks in next years draft, horrible scouting department, horrible.

8. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

The jets finally drafted one of the top offensive playmakers in the draft. No one should be upset. Kellen Clemens absolutely sucks. But he'll still have a chance to be the starter. Just like he has for the last few years. When are people going to realize that kellen has had a shot at starter for the last few years and the professionals that make these decisions have looked for every other option after seeing him in camp.

9. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

And if he sucks, the '09 draft will have been a waste.

10. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

smarten up.

11. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I could argue that the 'boys and the Fish aren't very good teams.

12. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Let me say it now - this draft, in a few years, will be added to the notorius youtube Jets draft video. You heard it here first.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Since you've been around these parts as long as I have, I agree we've seen folks flip. Guess I'm mellowing out in my old age Badmoo. You and I go back along ways man. We've seen this FO fck up many a draft day. I think you'll agree that it's easier to be negative than to have patience and take a wait-n-see approach. Sanchez might be the next Joe Willie. At the very least, he's the first "name" QB we've drafted since JWN. Sanchez may or may not be the franchise QB we hope he is but for the first time in decades, we have hope. Jet fans usually don't know what the concept of "hope" is for the most part and I imagine that creates the aura of darkness in their outlook.

14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

The 09' Draft was already a waste. I was wishing we could skip to the 2010 Draft already. It isn't a big deal.. We have nothing to lose, and everything to gain from this years draft.

HaHaHa!!

This was a wanted pick by the fans, a potential impact player for us. We didn't draft Kyle Brady.. Not even close.

15. islesfan

islesfan New Member

I'd rather have a few quality guys that can be expected to get it done on the field than a bunch of guys who will most likely do nothing but fill out a depth chart.

I'm happy with a franchise QB, a young former pro bowl CB, a smashmouth RB and a tough versatile OLineman. Yeah I would like to address other needs but you can't do it all in 1 offseason and this offseason ain't even over yet.

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Yup but at least the draft itself will have had some entertainment value.

17. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Agreed. Quantity doesnt equal quality.

The Jets came away from this draft with a guy they hope will be their franchise QB and a guy we know teams around the NFL loved. They also added another RB who could eventually replace Thomas Jones as the starter and make for a nice three headed monster this season.

They didnt adress the WR posistion and they need a blocking tight end but they have a very good receiving threat at TE and a pretty good number 2 in Cotchery to go along with a good OL and a good running game. There still missing a number 1 WR. They did a pretty good job in this draft IMO. Not great but good. It could be great if Sanchez is the real deal.

18. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

you are quite the expert!! and you blast people who give realistic opinions....GET OVER YOURSELF Mr. Electric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Well said Dean. We grabbed two guys who will be cornerstones of this franchise in a terrible draft. In addition, I wouldn't doubt that our 6th rounder makes an impact a few years down the line. I'm very happy we came out with a lot of quality and managed to save next year's draft.

20. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

The last few moments of hope the Jets gave me ended in...

98 Denver - 30 min away from the SB, and they gave it away...
    99 Buffalo - 20 min into the season, Vinny tears his achilles tendon....

10 years later...Hope is back...I missed her.