Quick Mock with a probable trade down

Discussion in 'Draft' started by The GM, Apr 6, 2009.

1. The GM

The GM New Member

New York Jets give: #17 overall pick
    Atlanta Falcons give: #24 overall pick and Ben Hartsock, TE

The Falcons have some targets that could be taken between #17 and #24, like Brandon Pettigrew, one of the top OTs if they fall, the USC linebackers, and some DEs. The Falcons did fine last year without Hartsock and Hartsock is one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL, which is one of the Jets biggest needs. This frees up a draft pick to use on a different position.

1) Jarron Gilbert, DE, SJSU
    2) Sean Smith, CB/S, Utah
    3) Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio State
    4) Cody Brown, DE/OLB, UConn or T.J. Lang, OG/OT, Eastern Michigan
    5) Lee Robinson, ILB, Alcorn State
    6) Bradley Fletcher, CB, Iowa or Victor Butler, DE/OLB, Oregon State

2. The GM

The GM New Member

The title is supposed to read *plausible*, not probable

3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

all we could get to drop 7 spots in the first round is ben hartsock? not a good deal imo. We could get more, say like Atlanta's second round pick for instance.

Also Sean Smith likely will go late round 1 early round 2. Robiskie will likely go in the mid-late round 2, say to Miami. I also don't think Cody Brown is falling that far either.

That said if we got all of those guys at our own draft slots it would be a hell of a draft, but like i said that trade down is weak imo, doesnt get near the value we could really get.

4. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

If the falcons did it than their league sources would suck considering they could still sit at 24 and get Pettigrew, very unlikley trade but great jets draft it went through

5. facch

facch Active Member

I like the players. There's good value in this draft. Gillbert value really starts to pick up in the late first round.

One hole in the draft is running back. Sean Smith is most likely BPA in a lot of situations with our second rounder, and I highly doubt Robiskie makes it to our third rounder. So most likely, replace Robiskie with Jennings, or Green, or any other RB might fall to our 3rd round pick.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Sean Smith won't be there at 52. No chance...

Trading back to 24 and landing Gilbert would be nice, but I'd rather have a 3rd than a backup tight end like Ben Hartsock.

7. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Hartsock isn't worth trading down 7 picks. Seen Ben's entire career at OSU.....OVERRATED..ugh!!

Sean Smith won't make it out of rd 1.........his measurables for his size are unreal.

8. The GM

The GM New Member

Hartsock is not a great all-around TE but he is one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL and that is something that we really need. We are going to run a lot next year and having a TE that can block would be a huge asset. In all seriousness, Keller is basically a glorified WR playing TE.

I thought that about Smith at first but with him being rated as a CB and not as a safety, that puts him behind Jenkins, Davis, Butler, and in the mix with Moore, and A. Smith. He could go late 1st or late 2nd - he has a wide range.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

hartsock is a blocking TE, who on a chart is worth a 6th round pick at best. To trade 1sts and a basically a 6th thrown in is a terrible trade on mass proportions. Firings would happen up and down the line. There needs to be a 3rd round pick thrown in at the very least.

Smith's ability to play both corner and safety are the reasons why he is looking at 1st round money.

10. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

1. Pointless to drop 7 for a blocking tight end.
    2. Smith won't be there.
    3. Robiskie won't be there.

11. The GM

The GM New Member

The reason why we do the trade is we add something that we need and still get the player we want in 1st. Basically we add what is considered an urgent need for nothing. Taking Gilbert at #17, which is something that can happen, would be considered a reach, but taking him at #24 would not be, or at least not as much. We get the same player in the 1st round. Plus not asking for another draft pick makes the trade go through.

I don't see the problem with this trade just because it doesn't follow the trade value chart. Sometimes you have to think outside the box...it makes sense for us to do this especially if we are heavily considering Gilbert.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

i agree with thinking outside the box, but as a franchise you can't sell yourself short either.

13. The GM

The GM New Member

I wouldn't say we are selling ourselves short at all. If we could add another draft pick in that kind of a trade that would be great but if you actually think about it and not just the value chart, we could very well take Gilbert at #17. If we move down to #24 we could still get Gilbert and for less money, and we get a blocking TE which we so desperately need. So basically this trade down makes a ton of sense for us. Adding an additional pick would be an amazing trade for us, but I think that would scare away the Falcons from making this move.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The trade is horrible and the draft is ridiculously unrealistic, other then that I can't complain.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

agree to disagree because I think the Falcons would think the Jets are retarded asking for only a depth TE in return for swapping 1st round picks. add a 4th rounder to the trade and it looks better.

16. The GM

The GM New Member

While I would love for an additional 4th it might be asking for too much, plus Hartsock is not a depth TE - he is the Falcons' starting TE. He would get a ton of playing time for us because of his run blocking skills and I'm sure we are still going to use 2 TE sets a lot.

17. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

As others have said we better get a 3rd if we trade down and Hartsock isnt worth a 3rd, Smith, Robiskie and Brown wont be there to be picked at the spots u chose either.

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Jesus, go back to your Falcons board -- I still don't see how you can call yourself a Falcons fan AND a Jets fan.

The guy had 3 catches in 2008. The Falcons biggest hole is at tight end...you know why? ...because they have a guy like Hartsock starting games for them.

Any tight end that we bring in is going to be depth - Dustin Keller is our starter.

If we're going to bring in a blocking tight end we should go for a late round draft prospect like Bear Pascoe or Anthony Hill.

Hartsock has little to no value...

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I'm not much of a draftnik...i merely come into this draft forum to learn & listen from posters who spend their time researching the college ranks for prospects....so i understand my place in the "pecking order" here.

But I even I know.....swapping 1st rounders and with having Ben Hartsock thrown in ....is a shitty deal in every way. If this trade happened....Tanny would be crucified.

20. I hate Revis

I hate Revis Member

I have the Jets trading down with the Eagles. The Eagles want an OT and the top 4 will be gone to St. Louis,Seattle,Cincinnatti and Jacksonville. This is where It will be interesting since Washington who needs an OT will pick either Beatty or Britton. So that means the Eagles have to beat Detroit at 20 to get either one of them. Jets will pick up another pick to move 4 spots and select Maclin were this will be a steal. I see only 1 receiver being drafted and thats Crabtree going to Oakland. At 19 Tampa Bay wants Freeman and I am satisfied with our QB situation. Ratliff is the wild card. He looked good in pre season and the only way to tell is to force feed him just like Brady did with the Patriots. Freeman will need time to develop since he looked raw even in college. Also stay away from Mark "the bust" Sanchez!