Who has the stronger arm Clemens or Ratliff?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kennyo07, Apr 4, 2009.

?

Who has the stronger arm to make all the throws?

1. Clemens

65 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. Ratliff

134 vote(s)
    67.3%
  1. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

My question is...who has the better backpedal?

Should I start a poll, just so I get to start a thread?

2. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

well obviously arm strength must mean everything for an NFL QB, that's why this was started...

3. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

My opinion is that at the NFL level arm strength mostly matters when throwing on the run. A guy like Cutler or Favre can be running from the pass rush and still fire off a deep throw. This is where arm strength comes in, most NFL QBs can throw deep from a stand still.

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The real question is who throws the better spiral. Ratliff throws a great ball. Clemens throws are wobbly. I'm rooting for Ratliff and feel he will be under center for us out of training camp.

5. TampaBayJetsFan85

Noooooo, the REAL QUESTION is...

Who has more...

"Zip" on the ball?

:rofl:

6. TampaBayJetsFan85

I have a feeling your wrong. But hey, thats just me.

I have a feeling Rex Ryan loves what Kellen did to HIS DEFENSE during the 4th Quarter in 2007 and I bet Ryan is asking himself what can Kellen do behind a solid O-Line along with a tough rushing attack?

7. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

I actually agree with Boozer, Ratliff has the nicer spiral which makes it easier to catch. We all know that Ratliff can bomb it out there, but he will have to show he can move the chains, make those short throws, sell the play-action and run a 2 minute offense, by and large Clemens has to do the same but they have film on him. It's really open, and whoever gets it will have my full support entirely. I actually really do believe that Ryan is going to let them start on a level playing field.

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Stronger arm? Ratliff.

I like Clements. Good guy, has some grit. Took a cheapshot vs. Redskins and didn't blink. Going into that game, read that a Washington scout gave him "gutsy" props etc., but described his arm as "average." I always thought it was pretty good, i.e. slightly above average. But to answer the question which was simply, the "stronger" arm?

Brett Ratliff.

9. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

From The Rat's Highly Limited Body of Work...

The Rat threw longer passes in those pre-season games, but if you notice, he made Clowney slow down and wait on the ball.

I would like to see them both behind the same good line chunking the pumpkin. My feeling at the moment is that both of them can get it out there, but the question is which one can develop the most accuracy and best timing with the receivers we actually have starting.

it takes two to tango on every pass completion.

10. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I don't think that's Ratty's fault.. Clowney's just really really fast. He had at least 5 steps on the defenders and he didn't have to slow down all that much.

11. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

I would have to say Ratliff.

12. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Agreed but if i had to say one i would go with Clemens although i think Ratliff throws a more catchable ball (From what i saw in 1 pre-season ofcourse)

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Arm strength has nothing to do with throwing the deep ball. I can throw the ball 60 yards in the air just like every QB in the league. What I can't do and what separates the Brett Favres of the world from the Chad Penningtons is throw the 15 yard out with enough zip to get it to the WR before the DB gets to it and takes it the other way for 6.

From the little amount of time I have seen each Qb it seems that they both have enough arm strength to make all the throws.

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

They booth have the arm strength. I believe Clemens ball is a little tougher to catch because he is short and has a much faster delivery. The WR has less time to pick up a ball that comes out quickly out of the scrum than one that comes out slowly and can be seen leaving the QB's arm because of his height. On the other hand that quick release gives Clemens a huge advantage when teams blitz. Once the timing is established and the recievers have put in the work with Clemens I don't see his ball being "less catachable" a problem unless our recievers can't catch?

15. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

Ratliff has a cannon.........i really like this kid and am actually relieved we didn't trade for Cutler. not that i don't think that Cutler couldn't be an awesome/franchise QB for us, but it's because i really believe ratliff can be a good QB in the NFL. Perhaps not as good as cutler, but good enough to be a positive aspect of the team while still keeping our #1 draft picks (if Denver had actually returned our calls)

From all the highlights i've seen of ratliff, he knows how to be a QB. he's got the physical tools (height, arm) and the pocket precense. One thing i like about him is how he makes his reads quickly and knows when the rush is coming. those are intangibles you can not teach. he did this in the preseason and in college. he's not even 24 yet...

Clemens actually has a decent arm, not amazing, but not bad. He just doesn't throw those smooth passes.

16. JetsFan31

JetsFan31 New Member

Man, it says I gots ta post more to see links. How do I do that?

17. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

You keep making posts (of a high standard preferably) until you have enough to see the links. :up:

18. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

What does it mean (technically) when some of you say Ratliff throws a more "CATCHABLE" ball...? How do you define that?
    (It's not a provocation, I really don't know how you evaluate that :))

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

It means the 5 times they saw Ratliff throw the ball someone actually cought it.

20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'm going to say that whoever wins the job in training camp, I'll feel comfortable with in there.

Ratliff looked like a Pro Bowler in the preseason last year, and people put way too much emphasis on Clemens' 8 starts, considering he was playing behind one of the worst offensive lines in NFL history.

I'll be happy with either one of them being the starting QB on opening day.