Rule change proposals for the next season

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by The_W, Mar 23, 2009.

1. The_W

The_W Banned

Anybody seen this yet?

nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f5e234 (can't post links yet, just put www on the front)

On NFL.com, the vice president of officiating, Mike Perreira talks about new rule change prposals for the owners to vote on in the owners' meeting. For me, I don't like 'em, especially the four rules to 'limit head injuries'.

First of all the rule that you can't make a helmet to helmet block from the blindside is absurd. Blocks like that are part of the game. You've just got to have your eyes open on the field. And secondly, the proposal that if the defender hits a wideout on the head as he's just making or made the catch, that it's going to be a penalty is a bad move IMO also.

Making these things illegal, it is going to hurt the game. Defenders will start to hit a little softer as they are afraid that they might be penalized. And then were gonna see those 3-yard slants going for six nearly everytime as the wideout just bumps away from the hit.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I haven't looked at that link, but I am assuming it also mentions the new 'Tom Brady Rule' which makes it illegal for defenders to lunge at QBs below the knee. Seems like the acceptable atrea to hit a QB are shrinking every year. It will be interesting to see if refs flag the Pats when they do it, I seem to remember Seau trying that very thing on Chad in 2006. Luckily, Coles caught a crossing pattern on that play and took it to the house and Chad's knee didn't fold the other way.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I didn't think you could intentionally make any helmet to helmet hit so what is new there? To do it from the blind side would be absurd.

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

They did that after Carson Palmer's injury. But the Pats still did it after anyways. That's the main reason I hate Vrabel's guts and would have no problem if someone took him out forever

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Well, let's not forget that Pollard didn't do it on purpose. I challenge anyone to prove that he did. The Patriots pull stuff like that all of the time, and then turn around and pull the 'who me'? garbage while they're at it. 'We play aggressively, not dirty!' Gee, c'mere Brandon Jacobs, I think you have something in your eye, let me help you with that. Wilfork was fined, alright, but what a faker that it was an 'accident'. "I pointed in his face", *caugh caugh*. I'm not against protecting players from injury when possible, but I digress.

7. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

((((+1))))

8. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

they are talking about blocking.. like on break aways down field.. a player cant come from a blind side and go helmet to helmet.. prior to this as long as you were in front it was legal.. the only helmet to helmet rule is for the QB and a defenseless WR...

9. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

WTF is with the kickoff changes... "no wedge more than 2 men"... RETARDED.. only sending 5 guys on an onside kick attempt... RETARDED.. you have guys running full speed up and down feild and hitting each other.. either way people are going to get hurt.. dont make idiotic rule changes and ignorantly believe that this will change things...

10. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

The new rules suck.

11. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

Might as well make contact illegal and turn it into one big flag football league.

12. I hate Revis

I hate Revis Member

These new rules will make us watch college football more often. Could you see Butkus,Tatum,Lott,Taylor,Nitchkie and all the past hard hitters saying what the hell are you doing to this Bozo the commissiner Godell. What happened your wonder boy the model cream puff Brady needs some protection since his offensive line can't.

13. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

The Brady rule is garbage... it's not like a horse collar that is intentional, it's not like anybody who hits the QB s intentionally trying to hurt him other than Vrabel or Wilfork. We may as well, just make it illegal all together to tackle the QB. It's going to be disapointing watching Scott get a 15 yarder when he leaves Brady motionless on the field.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

ask deacon jones about these new rules

15. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

ya these new rules are complete garbage

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Well, I had heard on the radio this morning about the 'new Tom Brady rule', but Murrell is right, I looked it up, that rule has been in place since 2005 I think. Here's a Patsy fan crying about it this year.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2008/09/brady_injury_recalls_hit_to_ca.html

17. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

They call it against everyone. Wilfork got penalized and fined when he was blocked down against the Bills and stuck his arm out and hit Edwards in the knee.

I believe the play on Chad was Chad running out of the pocket and getting caught low from behind. I also think that was the play the the Jets fans showed the kind of fans they were by cheering his injury so the new fan favorite could come in the game.

18. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

New rule sucks I mean why does a guy on the ground have to get all the way back up to tackle someone. Does he have to get all the way up or can he get to his knees or a 3 pt stance. It dont make sense. Heres to another broken knee for Tom Brady in '10.

19. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

As if there aren't enough penalties called on KO returns now we'll get the 3 man wedge call--By the way, how far apart do guys have to be to not be considered a wedge?

What? is one foot apart a wedge and one foot and one inch not a wedge?
    How can this be enforced fairly?

20. Coach K

Coach K New Member

before we know it

the NFL will consist of a weekly team captain from each team playing eachother in madden.