New York Jets Transcript - S Jim Leonhard, 3.4 - Part 1

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DonnieBaseball23, Mar 4, 2009.

1. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

Opening Statement?
    I?d like to thank everyone for having me. I am very proud to be a New York Jet. It?s been a very exciting couple of days and I am glad the entire process is done and now I can focus on getting back into football, which is something that I think I do well and I am very excited to do it here in New York.

On Rex Ryan?s process on recruiting him?
    I got a call from Rex around 12:45 a.m. I think, after he was leaving Bart?s (Scott) house, just to let me know how things were going and trying to do his little recruiting pitch on me. So it?s not quite the same, he didn?t get attacked by my dogs or anything. I definitely got a call early from Rex and I was glad to get that call.

On why he wanted to play for Rex Ryan and the Jets?
    I think, being around different coaches and different systems, obviously the system that he (Rex Ryan) has is proven and the players love it. There is not one guy who?s played in that system that doesn?t love it and love the freedom and the ability he gives you to make plays in that system. As far as Rex goes, he?s as real of a coach as they come and he?s not a ?bs?er,? he?s going to tell you how it is. I think you guys are starting to realize that. He is going to tell you what he thinks and he isn?t going to hold his tongue. He?s not going to tell you what he thinks you need to hear, he?s just going to tell you the truth and, as a player, I respect that. Whether you want to hear something or not, if it?s the truth, for the most part you can respect it and learn from it and that?s one reason why I really love playing for Rex.

On taking advantage of his opportunity with the Baltimore Ravens?
    It was very important for me to take advantage of my opportunity. Going into my fourth year, I really needed to make a statement last year to extend my career in this league. You only get so long and up until that point I wasn?t satisfied with the opportunity I had gotten. To go to Baltimore, and unfortunately with an injury, you never want it to go that way, but unfortunately in this business it happens more often than not. To get that opportunity, I wanted to make the most of it and I felt that I did that. I did all that I could last year to help our team win and to prove to people around the league that I could play at this level.

On his playoff experience with the Ravens?
    As far as my playoff experience, I had a great time in the playoffs. (It was) my first taste, I really wanted to go out there and do anything it took to get wins and it was a great run. I learned a lot from that experience on how to prepare and how much different it is than the regular season. I think that experience will mean a lot for me going through my career and, hopefully, I can pass that experience and that knowledge I gained on to my new teammates here in New York.

On his decision to come to New York and play for the Jets?
    We were very close to having everything signed and sealed and delivered out to New York when all of a sudden the Denver Broncos came out of nowhere and threw out a really big number at me. So, I took a few hours to consider (it) and we ultimately decided that regardless of the money situation, the Jets were the place to be. We kind of knew that. Like I just mentioned, we kind of knew that going into free agency that New York was probably the best place for me. Like you said, you get into the money game and it?s hard some times to turn down things. Ultimately, we felt like the best football situation was to be here with Rex and this team, which I think is going to be great. I am very excited to see Rex as a head coach and to see all the talent that?s already on this team. To come into that environment is very exciting for me. I can?t wait and I hope everything goes well.

On if he left a little money on the table?
    Yes, I did, and I am ok with that situation. I think I made the right decision to be here and I am excited to be a New York Jet. The Denver Broncos situation, like I said, was very last minute. It made us step back a second and see what was out there. It was significant enough to where we had to take a look at it. Ultimately, we decided that this was still the best situation.

2. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

New York Jets Transcript - S Jim Leonhard, 3.4 - Part 2

On what his role will be with the Jets?
    I would love and I plan to come in as a starter just having that experience. Especially, in this defense I feel like I would have success there and I hope that is my role. That is what I am looking forward to doing - coming in and helping to install this defense, having a huge offseason and getting everyone on the same page. I see it as a big role for me making it easier for the coaches once we are on that field and being able to communicate. Myself and Bart (Scott), (we) have a good knowledge of this defense. I think that is going to be a huge role for us this offseason.

On punt returning?
    I would love to have that opportunity as well. I know Rex wants to get Leon Washington more touches on offense. He?s obviously a great returner. He went to the Pro Bowl for it so he is very good at what he does. If I can get an opportunity to return punts as well, at least at times, I would love that opportunity. It?s something I?ve always enjoyed doing. I feel like it?s a very rare opportunity, for a defensive player especially, to make a huge impact anytime you get a chance to get your hands on the ball. I would love to have that opportunity and I hope to help this team in that area.

On if he plays with a chip on his shoulder as a result of being in an underdog role?
    I think I play that role. Everyone has a chip on their shoulder from something or someone, whether it be something somebody said about them no matter who you are. Everyone has that chip and (with) the underdog role and being undersized, everyone telling me that you can?t do something. I have dealt with that my whole life and I do like to prove those people wrong. It?s definitely something that drives me, but it?s not the only thing that drives me. I?ve never had a lack of confidence in my ability. Regardless of what I have been through, I have felt like I can compete at this level and have success at this level. I am just glad that I got the opportunity to prove some of these people wrong. But to answer your question, I definitely play that underdog role and enjoy proving people wrong.

On when he knew he would be leaving Baltimore and signing with the Jets?
    It was at different times. With the comments (Baltimore GM) Ozzie (Newsome) made at the combine, I kind of new my time in Baltimore was probably done. I would have liked to return. Obviously, with the success that I have had, I met a lot of great people and it really was a fun season, both personally and as a team. I think we enjoyed a lot of success together. I would have loved for it to work out, but once Ozzie made those comments at the combine, the writing was kind of on the all. I knew they weren?t going to make that big of a push for me and, in the end, they really didn?t offer. I really didn?t have any opportunity to go back. As far as with the Jets, I knew obviously when Rex got that coaching job that there was a potential of me going to New York. Once he called that first Friday when free agency opened, I knew they were going to make a strong push for me and obviously knowing Rex and Coach Pettine I knew it would be a good fit. It wouldn?t be a bad decision. Once we started going through the negotiations and everything seemed to be working out, I knew that it was more than likely. Somebody would have had to make a very strong case outside of New York for me to go somewhere else. I knew this was probably going to be the place for me.

On if the Baltimore Ravens made an offer after the Jets?
    I?ve never heard of an offer so I would have to assume that if they even did present my agent with an offer, it wasn?t anything that was really in the ballpark of what we would be looking for. They have a great situation in Baltimore at safety. Obviously, knowing Dewan (Landry) and playing with Dewan for a year, I wish him the best. I hope he comes back healthy and if he comes back healthy, he is going to be a great player there. There is no question in my mind about that. With them drafting the two young safeties last year and seeing them grow throughout the year, they are going to be good players as well. There is no lack of talent in that secondary, especially at the safety position, and I didn?t mention Ed Reed who, in my opinion, is one of the best to ever play the position. They are good at safety. They are very talented and they have depth so it wasn?t a shocker to me with how they approached me this offseason especially with the other situations that they were trying to take care of as well.

On if he was insulted by the Ravens comments at the combine?
    No, it?s realistic. (Newsome) understood that there was probably going to be teams out there that would be willing to pay me as a starter and with the situation that they were in with trying to get a lot of free agents back and also with the other safety position it was more of a fact that he really said that they didn?t think they had the money to pay me. He never said that they didn?t want me back. I had many conversations earlier in this process with the coaching staff and they all wanted me back. They just said I don?t know if we are going to be able to do it. It wasn?t an insult by any means. It?s just more of a situation thing.

On what he brings to the game ?
    One of the biggest things that I bring is versatility. I can do a lot different things and I pride myself on being able to do whatever we need. Especially in my situation in Baltimore, my whole goal going into games was allow Ed Reed to be Ed Reed and do whatever it took to put him in position to have the most success he could have. I think it takes a lot of intelligence and understanding of the defense to do that, because you never know. Ed might change it up on you real quick if he felt like he needed to be in a different position to make a play. That versatility is something I pride myself on. I think that?s probably the biggest thing I bring to a team.

On doing for Kerry Rhodes what he did for Ed Reed ?
    I think I can (do that). I hope so. He has a lot of talent and this system is going to allow him to grow as a safety. He?s already had a lot of success and I think this will take him to the next level and I hope to be a part of that.

3. Ravensfan06

Ravensfan06 New Member

This has been my main gripe with Rex. Essentially, he lets players call the shots at times and that gets old fast in a prevent defense.

4. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

5. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Yes, we have seen how bad that Ravens defense got. Good point.

6. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Dumbass!!!!!!!!!!

7. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

He trusts his players, which is a very good thing IMO. Its a controlled chaos, and as the first reply mentioned, it's proven to be very successful.

8. Ravensfan06

Ravensfan06 New Member

I forgot that you watch the Ravens on a regular basis. I'm sure those viewings supplement your Wikipedia searches of Rex Ryan perfectly.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

wtf are you talking about? This doesn't even make sense to me:
    Letting players call the shots gets old at times when in the prevent? huh?

10. Ravensfan06

Ravensfan06 New Member

Whatever, I'm done. I realize that Rex is an accomplished head coach in the NFL and everything, but that doesn't mean that he's perfect, and I was merely trying to expose his minor flaws. Hopefully the Ravens can someday pick up guys like Jim Leonhard and Bart Scott, those two are franchise players.

11. Ravensfan06

Ravensfan06 New Member

Shut up, Jim, you're supposed to have been recruited by God himself.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is why you probably won't be taken seriously. You had some good info to convey, but your agendum is barely concealed now.

13. abyzmul

Bye bye, weakling.

14. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Are all Ravens fan as dumb as you are???

15. Ravensfan06

Ravensfan06 New Member

I'm done posting here, no one wants to listen, so I'm not going to try and get my point across any longer. This community was not receptive at all despite the fact that I was honestly giving my opinion, so I'll stop wasting my time as some other guy on the internet suggested that I need a life. My addiction to this board knows no bounds, and I clearly need to get my priorities straight.

I shouldn't be surprised by the animosity considering that you follow one of the most futile franchises in all of sports, but it's nonetheless embarrassing that you take pride in being assholes. Have fun with Rex, hopefully he'll follow in the footsteps of Mike Nolan and Marvin Lewis. Good luck to Jimmy, that $6 million dollar contract really proved his worth as a stellar safety. Bart Scott will show up, believe me. His numbers may continue to decline, but as you Jets fans have so astutely pointed out, stats don't mean everything, and Scott has actually been improving over the past few season. I was actually wondering about his progression as a player, but after visiting this board I can see clearly now.

#15 Ravensfan06, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  16. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

Buh-Bye

Have fun on a losing season

17. abyzmul

Waaaaah, they were mean to me! Get out, then, you puss. You made some decent posts, but mainly it was stuff I would expect from a homer. Thanks for the players, they deserve fans that have penises.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Can you explain what this means before you leave us forever?

19. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

The only point you keep on making is that Rex is not a good coach because he was available, Leonhard is a backup and that there was a reason why Scott was the odd man out.

Rex was available becuase Ravens had Jim Herbal. Even though Ravens had a defense in place, you still need someone to run it. Didn't Ravens let Rex go a yr or two a go and then resigned him? Don't you get it? Don't u know why you guys REHIRED him back??? Rex was NOT available. He was under contract with Ravens and we offered him a HC job and he took it.

As for Jim Leonhard, he played good for you guys in the playoffs, when it mattered the most. He was good enough to start for the Ravens and he's good enough to start for the Jets. He's not Ed Reed, but he is an upgrade over what the Jets have already.

Bart Scott? u keeping using the same arguement again and again. "Theres a reason why he is available". WTF man? Talk about availability, Terrell Suggs is also available but for a price. Lewis is available. Albert Haynesworth was available for insane money. Talk about being available making you worthless. Do you even know why free agency exists?

20. Ravensfan06

Ravensfan06 New Member

In a nine year span, the Ravens have made six playoff appearances, have won seven games and completed a successful Super Bowl run.

In a forty one year span, the Jets have made twelve playoff appearances, have won eight games, and completed a successful Super Bowl run.

I forgot that you have so much leverage on Baltimore.