For the Last Time: Jets cannot cut Coles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Jan 26, 2009.

1. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I think this deserved its own thread because it comes up in so many different threads/offseason plans on how to save money. As a way to appease Coles instead of extending him, they made all of his money guaranteed. Therefore cutting him, it will cost 7 million on the cap. By playing him, it will cost the same amount. Cutting Coles does nothing to get us further under the cap. In fact it would hurt us because we'd then have to add another WR's salary to replace him on the roster unless you're content with seeing Brad Smith starting.

So in conclusion, if you want to say we should cut Barret because he's barely a dime back at this point or you don't feel Brandon Moore is worth a 5 million bonus, fine. But despite his age and the expectation his productivity may decline, Coles will not be a cap casualty.

2. Dunlaing

Dunlaing New Member

He can't be cut, but he could be traded. As long as we trade him before the guaranteed money is due to be paid, it would be on the team that trades for him's cap, not ours.

Of course, that would require another team to be willing to trade for him.

The other option is that Coles could agree to renegotiate his contract to get rid of the $7 million in guaranteed money. This would require him to care more about leaving the Jets than about collecting $7 million, though.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We are talking about Coles here, right?

4. Quack

Quack New Member

BUT I WANNA CUT COLES!!!

And yeah! Let's cut our best run blocker, too! The one who gave up the same number of sacks as D'Brick and Mangold! Yeah! Fuck Moore!

5. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Yes and sign Terrell Owens, McNabb, Suggs, Scott, Peppers, and Tomlinson.

6. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I did not get this part. I thought his salary was guaranteed meaning we are stuck with no matter what we do and when we do it. Regardless, he isn't going to be traded. No one wants him IMO. He's too old now, has taken a lot of hits over his career, and gets injured very often now.

I say we keep him this yr and offer him 2yr $3 mil contract next yr to be the third WR. Cotch takes up the first and we draft a WR in the second round this yr to be the 2nd WR by 2010. Or just find one in the FA. A second rounder (which we might get for Vilma) can be used to for a WR. It won't cost us anything like a FA 2nd WR. Rookie will probably be with in a mil for the first 4 yrs maybe. A FA WR would probably cost us $4mil upwards for a decent one.

7. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Let Coles stay. He always gives 100%. The only time in Coles and Cotchery's careers where they had bad games was when Brett Favre was their QB.

8. Dunlaing

Dunlaing New Member

I'm pretty sure the guarantee just means that he is guaranteed to get that money as his salary. If he's traded, the other team is the team that pays his salary.

I really doubt he could be traded too. The only way I see another team willing to take him is if he agrees to renegotiate his deal after the trade. And why would he negotiate away $7 million guaranteed?

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

maybe we can find a way to trade him for LT, TO and McNabb.

Get it done, Woody!

10. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

Steve 032 "Let Coles stay. He always gives 100%. The only time in Coles and Cotchery's careers where they had bad games was when Brett Favre was their QB." ARE YOU HIGH DUDE REALLY !

11. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

we should trade coles, moore , woody , ellis , favre , jones, , rhodes and revis for 6 1st rounders and 4 third rounders and trade for Peyton Manning..it works on madden right

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That would be a horrible Madden trade.

13. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Did Coles suddenly become a shite player?

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

His injuries are catching up with him, especially that toe. I saw him whack it on the turf on 3 separate occasions and he missed multiple drives because of it. This is someone who we need to run crisp routes, because he doesn't have the speed for separation anymore. He'll never be the Coles we had before the RFA Washington debacle.

15. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Coles is a concussion away from retirement. He is afraid to take big hits anymore and I can't entirely blame him. He is good friends with Chrebet and he has seen first hand what too many consuccions gets you. He was smart to play hard ball to get his money. We are not smart to cave to him, he is well over paid these last two years. Nobody is going to pay him 7M next year and it makes no sense to cut him. So we are pretty much stuck with him.

16. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I just remember all the people whinning last year about resigning coles and not trading him.
    Now we get to get Nothing for him. We kept a player who is a hit away from a bib out of some insane loyalty. It is time for our team to start getting rid of dead weight like other winning Franchies. With that said Ellis needs to be moved Asap while we can still get something.

17. kaloshiJETS

kaloshiJETS New Member

trade him for a bag of footballs dump his contract....i expect us trading him at the draft for anything...

18. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I'm curious to know who ultimately makes these decisions to keep/rid players and give them their money. Is it strictly Tannenbaum or do the coaches and him and Woody come to a decision? It seems like we're always keeping players for too long and they wind up making a bunch of money at the end of their careers when they have the least chance of being the most productive.

19. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

coles will be a randy moss type trade and he will renegotiate his contract with the new employer.

Good servan , well paid but a real whiny fucker lately!

20. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

:lol: I shouldn't laugh , but I am