Ryan's Success Depends on Favre Retiring

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

There's also a reason why not many have tried. It is a young man's game. This isn't golf or bowling we are talking about here.

2. PleaseWinSuperBowlJets

PleaseWinSuperBowlJets Active Member

I'm telling you guys, if Favre comes back, he's gonna be a failure, once again! Send this bum back to Kiln!!!!

3. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Favre's ego wouldn't let him play with the "all weather offense" Rex is talking about. He will try to do too much himself.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Favre's record in cold weather games is very good... so he would fit the "All Weather" mold well.

Just sayin.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think there needs to be more threads about Favre sucking in different ways

6. Gunther

Gunther Member

Favre is not for this team and I seriously doubt that Ryan would want to start his coaching regime with a 40 year old QB who is iffy about his status. Ryan needs to know what is going on right now, and a QB who is willing to sit down right now to get into that playbook is what Ryan needs.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I think this team will never be happy with any QB ever because Namath was so iconic.

This team needs a QB as good as Peyton Manning on the field and more pop culture savvy than Peyton off the field (commercials, etc.). And then he needs to win 5 rings.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You can never overestimate the value of a QB on a team's offense because really the QB is the only position thing that can move an offense to the levels it needs to be at to beat the best teams.

The offensive line is key and the quality of the other skill position players are key but the QB is what makes or breaks an offense after all the other pieces have been assembled. We saw that clearly this year with Favre, who was having a very good year, alongside a record-setting (for the Jets) offensive attack, until he got hurt and then declined precipitously taking the ENTIRE offense down with him.

The top 5 QB's in the game, at the time they won, have won 14 of the last 16 Super Bowls, basically all but 2 of the SUper Bowls in the salary cap era. That's EManning, PManning, Roethlisberger, Bradyx2, BJohnson (not), Brady, Dilfer (not), Warner, Elwayx2, Favre, Aikman, Young and Aikmanx2. With the exception of Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer every QB in that list is either definitely going to the Hall of Fame or fairly likely to go. Roethlisberger's 2nd win this year would put him in a having to fail the rest of his career to avoid the honor position.

The Jets aren't going to win a Super Bowl without identifying a top 5 option at QB.

9. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

First of Brett Farve was hurt somewhere in the Tenn. game. At that point he should have sat himself down for the team but he did not and it cost us. I believe with the last couple of games we could have won at least one or maybe two with Clemens but he never got a chance, WELL Because Brett thought he was super man. Now can he come out of the gate next year and be 7-3, yeah maybe, But what if he gets hurt again. He will be 40. I say lets start new. JMO

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Putting Eli Manning and Roethlisberger on the list of All-Time QBs is quite premature. Roethlisberger has been incredibly inconsistent and has come up small in the playoffs. YOu can argue that he has been as much a beneficiary of a defense and running game as Johnson and Dilfer.

Eli Manning being mentioned as a future HOFer at this time is a joke. Manning played well for 6 games at the end of last year. Outside of those 6 games, he has been average at best.

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Ben has been great in the playoffs as has Eli that's why their teams have SB rings and in Bens case he's going for another.

12. JETSFANNYC

JETSFANNYC New Member

+1000, i'd love to see what david carr can do behind a real oline, not the turnstiles he had in carolina and houston.

#112 JETSFANNYC, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  13. Phear

Phear New Member

Man, I knew dragons were real. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm off to build a ship now.

14. Sc(-je+s-)pe

Sc(-je+s-)pe New Member

Bah humbug. Even if favre comes back, he def won't be coming back for the 2010 season. the only point of favre is to go to the superbowl this year. Even if we make the playoffs and lose, it will be extremely pointless bringing favre because we lost another year with giving one of our QBs a chance, mainly Brett Ratliff. By starting one of our backup QBs this year will put us at a greater position for the following years.

15. greenwhite&nogold

greenwhite&nogold New Member

He can't be Deanna Favre, because I'm Deanna Favre and I support everything he said. Who are you, Nicole Clemens? My man could kick your man's ass!!!

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

what if the backups need another year learning and digesting the playbook??

just playing devils advocate....

I personally don't care which road is taken... Favre or one of the backups or a new draft pick.

17. greenwhite&nogold

greenwhite&nogold New Member

Namath wasn't half the QB that Favre has been throughout his 18 years. there I said it. Namath was a good QB, not a great QB let the flaming begin.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

namath's iconic status is not in his numbers. That's not what i was referring to.

19. Sc(-je+s-)pe

Sc(-je+s-)pe New Member

Well, Favre just jumped on board this year with learning the playbook as he went on. Ratliff had a whole year just as Favre to learn the playbook. Clemens had how many years? Aswell as coming in numerous times against 1st string defenses. I am sorry but I just have so much faith in Ratliff.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I'm a Ratliff guy too, I like what I see so far but I want to see him against the 1st teams in the pre-season.

What you can judge a QB on without looking at the competition he is facing is good so far.