What do you want out of the draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by vilmas our future51, Apr 18, 2006.

1. vilmas our future51

vilmas our future51 New Member

Do you want to get a rb or a wr or a qb thats going to be on sportcenters top ten?

Or do you want guys that are going to stay under the radar and still play ok?

What do you guys want to get out of this draft as fans?

2. k.Rhodes25

k.Rhodes25 New Member

1a) de-mario williams
    1b) olb-manny lawson
    2) ot- marcus mcneil
    3a) wr- maurice stovall
    3b) qb- omar jacobs
    4) rb- jerious norwood

thats wat i want

3. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Perfect draft for me
    1A. Mario Williams DE
    1B. Manny Lawson DE/OLB
    2. Marcus McNeil OT
    3A. Max Jean-Giles OG
    3B. Babunte Oshinowo NT
    4A. Chris Gocong DE/OLB
    4B. Jason Spitz OG/OC

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I want someone we can build around. That's really the single most important thing. We need a franchise player...whether it comes from round one or seven...

5. JCnflies

JCnflies New Member

I want to be able to look back at this draft in 2 years and say that we picked a playmaker (on either side of the ball), solidified a fine offensive line, helped the D out a bit more and added some solid role players. We have to get a core playmaker in this draft and the beginnings a solid and young o -line, or this draft has failed.

6. Warrior

Warrior Member

The Jets will not make the trendy or expected pick. They will be clever and workman-like in building this team up starting with the defensive and offensive lines. If these lines are firing on all cylinders the rest of the teams fall into place - all of a sudden your QB is better because he has more time to throw, because your "average" RB is now gaining 4.0+ yards per carry and your receivers are now open. Grind the ball and every now and then stretch the field. Mangini is not only building for the future he is building to kick some butt next year.

7. Streetballa333

Streetballa333 New Member

1A. Vince Young
    1B. Manny Lawson DE/OLB
    2. Marcus McNeil OT
    3A. Max Jean-Giles OG
    3B. Babunte Oshinowo NT
    4A. Will Blackmon
    4B. Jason Spitz OG/OC

8. Streetballa333

That equals a super bowl season for 2007

9. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Can't argue with that. :beer:

10. Warrior

Warrior Member

Absolutely no way the Jets pick Young! You don't spend that amount of $$$$ on that much of a risk player. Will he create excitement - you bet. Will he fit into a super bowl scenerio - far less likely. Bellicheck would eat him for breakfast.

11. Streetballa333

It is waiting to be proven whether Bellichek can eat him for breakfast. If you think that the cover 2 scheme "Mike Vick Killer" is going to work against Young, you will be proven wrong. Vince Young is also accurate enough to pick apart zone defenses, and playing "man to man" defense against Vince Young, opens up running lanes for him. Despite Vince Young's freakish abilities, if anybody can gameplan a defense to stop him, it would be Bellichek.

12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

When will people realize that there is no way McNeill falls out of the first round.... And no way Jean-Gilles falls to the third. Although I'd be sooo happy if we could get them both.

13. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Players that would make a huge contribution to the team, not a player who gets paid and plays poorly because he knows he got paid.

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

If we get one great player at any position, one solid starter for the OL and 2 development players who can contribute on special teams, add depth and contribute it would be a great draft. If the one great player turns out to be a QB this will be an incredible draft.

15. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I want the team to get better, and there are a lot of different ways that the draft can go that will allow for tht to hppen. Wanting specific players is fine and all, but you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Personally, I'd prefer that they don't go QB in round one, no matter how tempting it is. Hawk, Williams, or Ferguson would be fine with me at the top. Mangold would be an excellent choice at #29, as would Lawson or Addai.

I would be very excited about getting Brian Calhoun.

16. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

I just want to solidify our offensive and defensive lines. I would also love to see the Jets trade down a bit for extra picks as I think they could get more than equal value on a trade down. With the "top flight" prospects at the top of the draft alot of teams are salivating at the possiblities of grabbing one.

I would draft at least 1 OT, 2 OG, 1 OC, 1 DT, 1 DE, 1 QB (later round), 1 WR, 1 RB (possibly taking a LB instead of DE).

And that is in no particular order and based off of the 9 picks the Jets presently have. I am not a big fan of taking Leinart, Young or Cutler, and I think that while Bush is a tremendous player .. it would be a mistake to trade up to get him and lose 3 to 4 picks to do it. Just to many holes to fill atm, and if the Jets want to show any sort of progress under this FO they need to address to two lines. QB I agree is a big important piece as well as RB, but if you can protect the QB, or open holes for the RB then what have you accomplished by drafting such a player?

Same for the defensive side of the ball ... While our starters might already be in place or on the team ... depth here is needed badly. Another 310lb + DT with some strength to compliment D'Rob is a big need IMO. DE/LB also ... even with the FA signings. I feel our CB situation isn't as bad, however it is a position you should always be looking to improve upon.

Okay ... thats alot of babbling ... hope it made some sort of sense.

And might as well take a stab here.

1 (4) - D'Brick (protect the flocking QB)
    1 (29) - Mangold (we had the best Center in the league ... we could again)
    2 (35) - Manny Lawson (DE/OLB) a tweener with huge upside where ever he ends up playing
    3 (71) - Jerious Norwood (RB) (I love this kid)
    3 (97) - Fred Matua (OG) (Classic pulling guard .. good feet and punch/drive)
    4 (103) - Jonathon Orr (WR) (deep speed wanteth .. deep speed getteth)
    4 (117) - Domata Peko (DT) (HUGE)
    5 (138) - Bruce Gradkowski (QB) (Has all the tools ... just needs to learn big boy football)
    7 (211) - Matt Lentz (OG) (hard worker ... can't have enough of those)

Of course I have about as much chance of getting any of these right as I do of winning the lotto .... but its fun to project.

#16 Spike_D, Apr 19, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  17. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I believe the Jets only have 9 picks:

7 original - 1 (6th for Ramsey) + 1 (4th from KC for Herm) + 1 (1st from ATL for Abe) + 1 (3rd compensatory pick) = 9

IMO. I want to see the O-Line get rebuilt first and foremost, 2-4 picks. 2OTs, OC, and OG. Then a LB, maybe Carpenter. The rest, I want to see some solid picks to help depth. NO MORE PROJECTS!!! After the past 5 years with Herm/Bradway, I am done with drafting and signing project players. Solid football players that can learn and contribute. That would make me happy.

18. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Bah that is what I though ... checked both ESPN and NFL.com to make sure and they each had us with the 6th rounder still.

fixed

1 (4) - D'Brick (protect the flocking QB)
    1 (29) - Mangold (we had the best Center in the league ... we could again)
    2 (35) - Manny Lawson (DE/OLB) a tweener with huge upside where ever he ends up playing
    3 (71) - Jerious Norwood (RB) (I love this kid)
    3 (97) - Fred Matua (OG) (Classic pulling guard .. good feet and punch/drive)
    4 (103) - Jonathon Orr (WR) (deep speed wanteth .. deep speed getteth)
    4 (117) - Domata Peko (DT) (HUGE)
    5 (138) - Bruce Gradkowski (QB) (Has all the tools ... just needs to learn big boy football)
    7 (211) - Matt Lentz (OG) (hard worker ... can't have enough of those)

19. Fleming

Fleming New Member

That's pretty good. Norwood might be gone after Day 1 and I'd add another O-lineman to that but a very good plan, IMO.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

We already drafted Nugent in '05.

#20 WhiteShoeWillis, Apr 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2005