Identity is our problem

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RochesterJet, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Turnbub

Turnbub New Member

The bickering about who sets the identity of the team aside, i agree with the post that a team needs an identity.

I think it's fair to criticize mangini in this regard that his philosophy of playing to the opposing team's weakness rather than playing to the jets strength hurt the team's overall performance.

Would love to know what Mangini would have done differently this year now that he's in a position to look back.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Man, I don't even know where to start with you, because the Jets' situation is either way above your head or you just don't want to understand. After reading that post, I'm leaning toward the former.

Let me start from the beginning of Woody's true mark on his franchise:

Woody, upon recommendation from Parcells, who was fleeing from the cap mess and coaching fiasco he helped create as Director of Pro Football Operations, hired Terry Bradway as the GM of the Jets. Bradway then hired Herm as HC and Ted Cottrell as DC. That in itself was a sign of trouble, since most successful HCs are given the right to hire their own CS. Herm was a glorified assistant HC who was brought in to install the vaunted Tampa Cover 2 defense, which was a resounding failure due to in-fighting between Bradway and Herm when it came to the personnel acquisition. That unmanageable situation was something that could have been rectified by Woody, but instead he let it go on for 5 years until Herm found a better job.

Then, instead of finding a GM that could work with a HC and find the right players to GIVE THE TEAM AN IDENTITY, we swapped FO positions... Bradway became, for all intents and purposes, the Assistant GM, and Tannenbaum became the GM. And what happened to the new identity of the team? The coach, whose players didn't fit his system, forced those players to play out of position. Did the GM know he was going to do this? If he did, why didn't he help find the right personnel for the guy in year one? This was a failure in the FO as much as the CS, just like the Herm fiasco. Square Pegs and Round Holes. No true IDENTITY.

I fault Woody and his blueblood cronies for not finding a football mind with a plan and resolution to fulfill that plan. And I mean a solid GM, who will be able to find a good HC, because if you think Woody should have anything to do with hiring a HC, well, that's just a retarded notion. A solid mind in the vein of Ron Wolf. What we have had is a bunch of reckless rookies, from top to bottom, FO to waterboy, from the day Parcells left. No plan, no identity, just a bunch of smooth-talking used car salesmen with half-assed hare-brained schemes that are doomed to failure from word one.

That's on the owner, and if you don't understand it... at this point I won't be surprised at all.

#22 abyzmul, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'd like the Jets to have the identity of a team that wins football games.

4. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Mangini relied far too much on the Tom-foolery. He was that way from Day One. Look at the Brad Smith experiment, for example. Here's where he actually thought specifically grooming a trick player was a good idea... and he became a Jack-off All Trades and Masterbater of None. Trick plays and gadgetry and attempts at finesse instead of pounding the ball down your face.

The trick plays started there for Mangini and actually ended there for Mangini (ended his career here) when he thought passing the ball 3 times was a good idea since everyone else would think we wouldn't do it, especially since we'd been running the ball well.

Then he decides reverse psychology is in order again when the whole world thinks he'll go for it on 4th and one at the Seahawks 2, but oh no, we'l kick the field goal and do the unexpected. Keep them guessing. Then when you need to attempt the field goal and the one immediately before it was good and the kicker is warmed up and begging to kick it again... oh no... keep them guessing again. Now we won't go for the FG.

Yeah, it kept them all guessing... guessing WTF was wrong with all this shit instead of playing solid football. It's demoralizing to the team also... that's the most damage. It sends a message that the coach isn't confident in your play.

If Mangini "lost" this team, it was with shit like that. The man overthinks things too much. Just play solid football, God-damn it.

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Outstanding post!

Take a look at the management of the Jets. No President and 3 EVP's who report to Woody directly. None of them are football people. They are all guys who are about maximizing revenue.

6. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Again you confuse your issues with Woody for what is a coach's job. You're identity is from you're style of play, not who you sign or owner is. It really is just that simple. Still none of what you say is the owner's fault. Its apparently over you're head. Coaching wins games not owners.

#26 zace, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  7. abyzmul

Well, I'm glad someone else was able to appreciate that post, because you obviously couldn't work past the second sentence. Stick with elbow macaroni and paper plates and glue, I guess. Just don't overdo it with the glitter.

8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

How many football owners are football people?

9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Oh no you insulted me so much, I'm sad.:eek:hmy:. Seriously you really need to get you're head out of you're own ass and look at what you are saying.

10. abyzmul

I'll get my head out when you spell 'your' right. :) Someone with such a rudimentary grasp of the English language really shouldn't be correcting peoples' spelling.

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

He has a contracts lawyer as his head of Football operations who is going to hire the coach. You confuse what a football team is. It's a corporation and a team that plays a game. There isn't a football person running any aspect of the team. The last time we had a good team was when Bill Parcells ran the football operation.

12. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

How... it's called leaership plain and simple... The LEADER give off a persona, which is then filtered down to all the people who work, or in the case of football, play for him.

This thread is totally on point... The NY Jets have no identity overall as a team. They are fickle in who they want to be, and have yet to settle on what it will be and what defines them as a team...

Right now, what defines the NY Jets... loosing.

Ellis

13. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I like the 4-3. Simple football, get back to the basics. KISS

14. abyzmul

It's crazy, pretty much reminds me of that Macintosh commercial where the Microsoft guy is shoving all the money toward advertising the product without bothering to fix the product. Are we buying Jets Football or are we buying the Pet Rock?

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

F'n Beatuiful Bud.

We need to continue to build upon whats here. I want stability. Its part of the reason I'm so-so about Mangini being gone. Yes he had faults, but I think over time he will become a very good HC. At this moment we have an OC who seems to lack any idea on how to use his players. We have a DC who seems to know shit about defense , let alone how to run a successful 34. We have a big hole at head coach who will hopefully clean house, but that starts this mess all again.

It kinda makes me sick to think about.

16. mudclods

mudclods Member

You're right we have no identity in all aspects of the organization.