Leftwich: Looking for a starting job elsewhere

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rocinante, Jan 12, 2009.

1. jjc92787

jjc92787 New Member

I wouldn't mind having Leftwich play here. He didn't get much chance to show what he can do this season, but when he had the shot he played quite well.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i don't konw i seen him alot here in j'ville and the mechanics are terrible.randy johnson doesn't have as big a wind up.the touch passes aren't great and the accuracy is below average.the rumor down here was the jags brought in all these 6'4' slow w.r. because he was constantly airmailing the smaller ones.i think for a veteran there's better options available

3. 12 > 4

12 > 4 New Member

Truer words have never been spoken. Or typed.

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'd pickup Leftwich IF we can get him cheap. He's proven himself to be a capable starting QB in this league. Got a raw deal in Jax. The injury bug is his biggest concern. Yet one I'd be willing to take if Favre is gone. Steady strong armed QB who could thrive in the right system. Sounds a little like a rookie QB in Bmore. Leftwich is still young too (29).

5. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Who wants another injury prone QB from Marshall? No thanks.

Slow runner, slow release.

God, this thread may actually get me to defend Clemens and Ratliff.

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Jesus the Jets can get a freaking bronze statue playing QB and it would be faster with a quicker release.

NFW

7. OhioJetsFan

OhioJetsFan Member

Watched him alot in college. Long windup, but if you want somebody who can throw it over 50 yards in the air, or through a brick wall at 10 yards, bring him in.

8. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

I like the idea of bringing him in to fight with a 1st round QB (Sanchez/Stafford).

9. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

We can't safely go into the season how we are now.

We need to sign him (and only him, not an idiot like David Carr) or else draft a QB in round ONE.

10. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i would LOVE to have him here!!! that guy is one tough bastard, i will check his injury history i think i remember him having an issue with his hip a few years ago. bottom line is that he played VERY WELL in jacksonville and only got run out because garrard was playing tremendously.

his release is slow and LONG, that however does not a bad qb make!! he is as slow as they come and his footwork leaves a bit to be desired but beyond that the guy knows how to get the ball to his receivers. and has done it pretty darn well in his career.

i would ABSOLUTELY give him the keys to the car, he is head and shoulders better than anything the other 3 we have on our roster have shown us. now i have something to really hope for this off season, i hadnt even thought about him coming here!!! thank you.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Just WHAT THE FUCK??????????

HELL FUCKING NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. I bleed Jets Green

I bleed Jets Green New Member

How do you know if Ratliff is not the answer. I agree that Clemens is shot mentally. But what I saw from Ratliff in the small ammount of time he got against Cleveland and in the other three pre-season games, is that he has the talent and the abillity to win games.

Look at what the Jaguars did with Garrard before they let Leftwich go. He shined and they gave him the job after they let Byron go. Romo came out of no where and look at him now. A very good QB for the Cowboys, but at the moment he can't win in the playoffs.

Let's give Ratliff a chance before we all assume he can't do it. If a diamond in the rough can't do it, then this team is hopeless.

13. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

If you want Leftwich, you are delusional. Here is a guy who started for years in the NFL for a good contending team in Jacksonville and he was cut in training camp in favor of an completely unproved QB. Then he couldn't win a job in Atlanta among the trash they had there nor did they keep him BEFORE they knew what they had in Ryan. Then no NFL team wanted him as a starter for 2008. Look around the league. If Leftwich is so good, why wouldn't teams such as Detroit, Minnesota, SF, Oakland, KC, etc bring him in?

It amazes me how Jet fans look at these veteran QBs who are sitting on the trash heap as saviors but have no desire to hand the reigns to one of the young QBs on the roster and were so willing to send a proven QB who is leaps and bounds better than the Leftwich's of the world - Pennington - to that same trash heap.

Let's just keep compounding the Favre fiasco by bringing in more veterans for unsuccessful one year runs. Brilliant.

14. mudclods

mudclods Member

I was thinking this the other day. If we are going to stay in house with the QB's I wouldn't mind seeing him come in and compete and be a good back-up, but I don't want to see him as the starter.

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Leftwich is like a poor version of Ryan Leaf on the downside of his career.

16. akibud

akibud Active Member

well, for all the people who like cannon armed QBs, this guy would be a wet dream come true, is biggest problem is that because his arm is soooooooo strong, he thinks everyone is open. He throws rockets at everyone no matter how covered they are. He would be an upgrade to what we currently have, and that includes old man river. I don't think he could be any worse, (as bad, sure)

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

If Favre got sacked 30+ times, Byron will get popped 50 times......

He's a good guy, strong arm, but he's SLOW (feet and delivery). He's like a black Drew Bledsoe, but even more injury prone than Pennington. :grin:

18. alleycat9

of course, the kid is going to be the greatest thing in the world. of course leftwich sucks. of course yeah he is ryan leaf on the downside. this place is quite funny!

i love the ones who just scream NO and thats all they say, that adds SOOOOO MUCH to the board. as if they have no reasoning for thier angry decision that a guy sucks.

whether he is here or not i am willing to bet that this guy ends up starting for a team next year and playing quite well, as he typically does.

in his last almost full season in 2005 he played 11 games had a qb rating of 89.3, 58% completion percentage, 15 tds 5 ints he broke his ankle that year after getting hit by adrian wilson on a sack, i dont think you can blame a guy for getting his ankle broken on a sack, well im sure some of you great guys will.

06 he lost jimmy smith and yet still led the outmanned jags to wins over pittsburgh and dallas 2 teams they had no business beating. he ended up missing 10 games that year after requiring ankle surgery.david garrard came in and played quite well until the final 3 games of the season.

during training camp of 07 they decided to go with garrard rather than leftwich, garrard was more illusive and cheaper. leftwich was cut as there was no need for 2 backup qbs on the team, i believe they already had quinn gray as the backup.

he ended up playing in the catastrophe of atlanta in the 07 season, now everyone gave brett a pass for missing all but 2 weeks of training camp, well guess what leftwich was signed on septemer 18 onto a terrible team. what did anyone expect him to do that season?

he did hurt his ankle again that year though. so it appears to me he has had injury issues with the ankle so obvioulsly that would need to be looked at very closely, with 3 injuries and a surgery there may be damage there. however the kid is a good qb with some defects that have not made him bad when healthy and on a decent team. he was in fact viewed as an up and coming qb before the injury.

you know i have to wonder if the absolute toughness he showed in college playing on a bad ankle may have led to some of the issues taht have hurt his pro career, if any of you dont know about that injury and how he played through it then please dont question his heart or will to win.

like i said earlier i would be ecstatic to see him come in here and start next year, i dont think he would be a 1 and done guy i think he could come in here and play for a number of years, he is only 29 and has a very good arm and understanding of the game. he can make the plays. i would be much more comfortable with him than either clemens who has shown NOTHING in his what is it now 3 years? other than the fact he cant play and cant win a starters job. and ratliff as much as i would love for him to be the next big thing is a long shot to be that. i sure as hell would not put this team with so many guys in their 7th through 11th year under his control. if it took him a year to get it straight in his head the team will be turning the corner and starting to have to think about starting over before he ever got to the point he could lead them to the promised land.

but just keep on screaming about how you dont want him here without any kind of reasoning. i will give the guys who said injuries as that is definitely a concern. but a concern i would be willing to take a risk at. however he is NOTHING LIKE RYAN LEAF so stop making yourself look foolish by saying it. not to pick on you edge but its the last post so i keep seeing it at the top of the screen as i type. :)

19. alleycat9

54 tds 38 interceptions, its not like he has thrown as many ints as he has tds. like some guys we know.

20. alleycat9

btw 16 of those were in his rookie season, since his rookie season he has 40 tds and 22 ints. pretty decent if you ask me, definitely not a guy who turns the ball over too much.

thats 1.8 to 1 td to int, much better than we dealt with the past season.