Potential Free Agents

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Jan 8, 2009.

1. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

oh for sure...and I agree with you. Boley is a tackling machine...whether it's running backs or his wife.

2. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

USCs Taylor Mays is the answer at Safety alongside Rhodes.

3. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

LMAO...................now THAT'S GOOD SHTUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

If you read the begininning of the post, you'd see I mention its in no order..

5. JetFanInPA

I didn't see he was a free agent. If he is, I'd definately add this guy to the list.

6. .::PriMeTiMe_KiD::.

Just a critique...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WE WILL NOT ADDRESS THE QB SITUATION. That is not only expert opinion, but I am starting to feel that if Rex Ryan is coach, he will not pull the trigger in FA or the Draft. Regardless if Brett Favre stays or not, that is not the true need of our team.

The Jets dont need a face for the franchise, they need to mend what was broken down the stretch this season.

1. RB- Derrick Ward. UFA.

I believe the new coaching staff would like to have more options at running back, Thomas Jones is getting older (not that much older...but he's weathering), and the lightning rod of Leon Washington, why not have the combination of both in Ward.

*2. WR- Hank Baskett, UFA.

At 6'4", 220 this season Baskett truly shined as nice deep threat for the long ball, can stretch the defense and has decent hands. And is fairly young at 26. He is the best option, for an inexpensive pricetag, we can get in the free agency.

3. DL- Chris Canty, UFA.

He's not a "PROBLEM", like a Justin Tuck, or Darnell Dockett, but he could rotate in for Kenyon Coleman or Shaun Ellis, instead of the horrible backup potential called Mike Devito, and C.J. Mosley (whose a DT playing out of position at DE). But Canty can generate a push, bring some freshness during drives on the line, and seal gaps. I like him for Dallas, I like him for us.

**4. OLB/MLB/LB- Karlos Dansby, UFA

To place more basis for his firing, Mangini and Co. placed alot of money in a defensive end they werent able to covert into a 3-4 OLB in Gholston. I do not think he is a bust but he needs to develop, in the mean time, B.Thomas needs to be cut because he is extremely overcompensated for his lackluster performance over the last several seasons.

Dansby has 119 tackles, 4 Sacks, 2 FF's, and 2 Ints in 2008. Lock him up to complement Calvin Pace on the opposite side.

***5. DB- Sean Jones, UFA.

Everyone on this site, or at least it seems to be everyone, demonizes Dwight Lowery for giving up the big TD, getting beat off the line of scrimmage. They forget that he led the team in forced fumbles, most interceptions are caused by a simple formula: pass rush + hurried throw = int. Dwight Lowery was also a rookie, and benched in favor for Ty Law for the last 4 games in the season, I cant imagine what his production would have equaled if given the chance to complete his rookie campaign, he averaged 5.3 tackles a game, when he started those 12 games over the span of the season, 5 forced fumbles and 1 int. I am confident Lowery is starting in 2009.

Our most pressing need is safety. A safety with talent at the SS position, with speed, a tenacity to hit, and better at coverage than the backup elements of Elam, Smith, and Reed.

That safety is Sean Jones. A lot of people like Atogwe, but Sean Jones is bigger, and faster, compare both 40 times. Jones: 4.48, Atogwe: 4.65.

Footnotes ::

* Hank Baskett is an upgrade, but we also have more than just 1 pick in the draft. I hope we land Britt, or another skill player with speed and hands. Harvin fits the bill too.

** I am hoping that Rex Ryan comes to coach the Jets. If he does, do not be surprised if he brings Terrell Suggs (DE/OLB) with him in free agency. I also wanted to note that in the likelihood we do not address our most pressing need on defense at safety, we will most likely draft Spikes to complement Harris, and allow Barton to shop the market.

*** Like I mentioned before I hope we somehow get Taylor Mays, but he is a rare talent in this generation of the game, but Sean Jones would have to do as an improvement.

7. JetFanInPA

I added Hank Baskett, although he's an RFA, not a UFA.

I also added Gerlad Sensabaugh, the safety from Jacksonville. I haven't seen his name on any free agent list, but I'm going to take a poster from this thread's word on it. I'm almost certain that he was an RFA last year and probably got a 1 year deal, so it would make sense unless he got an extension.

8. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Nice post. But I would think Rex Ryan, after witnessing first-hand what Joe Flacco did for the Ravens, that he wouldn't be so unwilling to go after a franchise QB.

9. JetFanInPA

I'd love to see Ward back, but don't forget about Jesse Chatman. It might not be worth the cap money to bring him in especially since we don't have much, if any.

I agree with you on Baskett, although he is an RFA. Regardless, I added him to the list.

Canty would be a nice addition, but you can't say DeVito and Mosley are terrible. I remember seeing Mosley make some nice plays when he was in and DeVito as well. Both are at least serviceable rotation guys worth keeping.

And if Thomas gets cut, which he probably should, Dansby should take his spot and would be all the help at LB we need. His speed, tackling and coverage abilities would be a major assett to this defense.

I agree Lowery should be in the mix and should be the nickel back at least. But you can't deny this team needs another good corner. Every team should have at least three good corners. Revis is one. Lowery COULD certainly be another. But we definately need another guy in there whether Lowery starts or not.

Jones has better mesuareables for sure. But I wouldn't put much stock in that 40 time difference. I'd take either of the two or any of the listed FAs. And Atogwe is simply a playmaker. 13 INTs in two seasons on an awful defense.

10. .::PriMeTiMe_KiD::.

Chatman. Too many problems off the field, lets see how much money Ward commands after his 1000yd season.

Baskett. RFA/UFA. I saw him listed as both on one site. Lol. He should be looked at to replace Wright, cut Wright off the team please, and Marcus Henry.

CJ Mosley can play defense, whether lined up at DT (his strength) or DE he is mediocre. Devito is fucking atrocious, dont even make an argument for how unathletic, unmotivated, and ineffective he is on the line. he's a body.

With the stable of corners we have now. 2 Good Corners are better than One elite one and 4 or 5 subpar players that call themselves corners. I agree that having that nickel option i.e. Corey Ivy, R.W. McQuarters, is an asset every defense should have. But that nickel is not Lowery, that nickel or dime should be someone else.

Atogwe has good numbers, but good numbers dont mean anything, on a defense that sucks. One safety cannot bolster a defense that lacks talent like the Rams. We have talent on every dimension of the D, except we need someone who is SMART, and can play the position. Rhodes is possibly the smartest safety in the league. Ed Reed is the most all around, complete package (my favorite), Palomalu one of the best instincts, and Sanders is one of the fastest...

Sean Jones is on that elite cusp, he just needs someone to push him. Rex Ryan will do that. So will Rhodes. (I prefer Taylor Mays, and not Jones regardless).

Dansby is a problemmm. Seeing him in a Jets uniform will make my season better.

11. JetFanInPA

Why would you want to cut Wallace Wright? His salary is almost nothing and he's our best special teams player. I'd sign him to a long term deal based on what he's done on special teams alone. Maybe you haven't paid any attention to the Jets special teams coverage.

And what's wrong with Lowery as the nickel back or in a reserve role at worst?

What makes you say DeVito is "Unmotivated?" You can make a case for ineffective, but unmotivated? I've seen him make a few good plays behind the line this season. He's worth a shot.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about Atogwe. I wouldn't argue with you that Sean Jones might be the better player, but this guy did make the Pro Bowl last season and had a nice year again. A guy whose made 13 INTs in two seasons with a very mediocre surrounding team is impressive. Perhaps he's a poor tackler or something, I'm not sure, but based on those numbers he is certainly a play maker.

And you say Dansby is a problem, but then in the next sentence go on to say that seeing him in a Jets uniform would make your season better?

12. .::PriMeTiMe_KiD::.

lol. PROBLEM = FANTASTIC.

saying someone is a beast is too clich?. i say they are a problem.
    no your right about wright's special team play. i was referring to the role of wideout and catching balls, not recovering onside kicks and making a few open field tackles.

he's found his niche. but he's not a wideout that can be on the field and be depended on.

you can tell a player is not motivated by how they play. if you have played football or looked at raw (non-network) football tape of games, you can see the body language, technique, ebb/flow of a player. i guarantee you that those plays he made were possibly off of hype, possibly adrenaline that there was a big play, and he was caught up in it.

i dont need a player like that. i need consistency. consistent play through the whistle, and hell, even when the whistle is blown you keep playing.

13. JetFanInPA

Ah OK.. Hah, that's a new one. Yeah, Dansby would definately be a "problem" in coverage whether he plays inside or outside.

I never noticed him play that closely. If what you're saying is true, then he doesn't deserve the spot. But I know no way of proving that.

Wright hasn't done much as a reciever minus a few catches last season. He's just listed at WR, but he's really a special teams player. And a hell of one at that. I hope this team keeps him around. He's one of the best I've seen on this team in a while.

14. JetGreen

JetGreen New Member

Would love to see us sign Canty, Dansby, and Sean Jones on defense. And if Rex is our head coach, works with Gholston, and gets these guys on defense through free agency, we could become an elite defense.

The other weaknesses we would have to address would be at WR and CB. The draft could be the way to go. But if we can get a solid corner through FA and didn't sign Jones or any other safety, I'd like to see us (mostly likely trading up) to get Taylor Mays.

15. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

What about Brandon Jacobs? Isn't he going to be FA? He would help this team more than anyone because he is a one man offense.

16. JetFanInPA

Like who? I'd need some names...

As for Jacobs, I'm not sure. Although even if he is, there is about ZERO chance he hits the market.

In addition to that minimial at best chance, the Jets are pretty stacked at RB. I highly doubt they'd throw that much money at another RB.

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

What on Earth makes any of you believe Lowery is capable of being a starting CB in this league? Even if his technique gets better he'll be David Barrett v 2.0 having to give massive cushion because he isn't getting any faster. Who cares if he gets 5.3 tackles a game, that is the least important and telling statistic for a DB. He got picked on a ton this year and will probably continue to get picked on... However a move to Safety would probably work very nicely. I think that's what they should do with him.

18. .::PriMeTiMe_KiD::.

in american football.

corners do not play safety. perhaps deion sanders.

idk how they play their corners in canada.

19. JetsLookingforDWare

Just because they're underrated doesn't mean that they'll be underpaid. Calvin Pace hit a great market. These guys will too, and Karlos Dansby is a better player than Pace.

Chris Canty is a starter. All 3-4 DE's are pretty heavily rotated anyway, so he would be great in the rotation in general.

To be dead serious, I think JP Losman is a decent fit for us. If the Jets want a gunslinger QB, might as well sign a young, motivated to be something former first rounder. Those are always worth the risk, and at worst we get a nice backup. Just as long as he's not garaunteed to start.

Chris Henry at WR is defintely worth the look depending on who New Guy is.

Leonard Pope is someone that could draw some interest.

I think/hope we're interested in Stacy Andrews still. He's fuckin...good.

Keep Nugent.

Of course Suggs and Dansby, but also Michael Boley, Channing Crowder, and...the real underrated LB in FA Leroy Hill. I doubt Hill gets away from the Seahawks though.

I really like Dunta Robinson. He won't come cheap.

Landy is good too, but I only like him with Ryan.

Sean Jones is sick, and if we can get him away from Mangini then good shit.

Kelvin Hayden is pretty talented.

Jarrad Page isn't a bad young safety to look at.

And again, no one comes cheap right now. Or at least...if we're going by the past 3 years of FA. Maybe the teams are broke this year.

20. .::PriMeTiMe_KiD::.

dwight lowery to david barrett,

is like saying dwight lowery resembles revis.

they outclass each other. lowery outclasses barrett, and drew coleman, and poteat.

in your opinion what is the most telling statistic of a db, (minus that he led the team in forced fumbles with 5, and had Lowery was among the league leaders in rookie tackles, trailing only San Diego's Antoine Cason [57] and Kansas City's Brandon Carr [56]. And Lowery had more deflections than both of them combined [16 to 14].)

enlighten me.