The media is LYING about Mangini and Favre

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Salz, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Salz

Salz New Member

From Michael Smith's article on the Mangini hiring:

"The Jets spent more than $140 million in offseason additions and traded for Favre, a move Mangini didn't favor but was forced to accept."

It really pisses me off to see this garbage that Mangini didn't want Favre but was forced to have him. This is just to make the Jets look bad again, which any defense of Mangini does. Eric Mangini was with Woody and Tannenbaum when they were courting Favre. He gave his baby Favre's name. This is more Anti-Jets propaganda by the horrendous media.

2. SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers Member

Tony Atlas said as much on with Max Kellerman on 1050 ESPN Radio though.

And the baby thing probably was just a PR stunt because it was a coincidence.

3. Salz

Salz New Member

Teddy Atlas is an idiot.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Do you believe any of what you just said?

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

How about this team gets its shit together and stops being 1) pussies 2) dysfunctional 3) a real football team.

The owner sees this as a toy, not a franchise that should be like its roommates the Giants that can combine winning and money making.

You're in the #1 sports market in the world... use it correctly moron.

6. SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers Member

True, but that hasn't stopped 1050 from airing his quote over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again on promos!

:rofl:

Though the Favre/Mangini bit was going on during the season, it hasn't been a complete after the fact story.

7. JetsLookingforDWare

I personally don't think Mangini ever wanted Favre.

But it happened, he's gone, and Favre might be gone.

I saw the conspiracy the first couple of days...but fuck it's just a job that didn't work out for either guy.

Nice post Mick.

8. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

You want the team to stop being a real football team?

9. SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers Member

I really don't know what to believe.

And I really, really doubt a man is JUST going to name his son's middle name after a guy he is JUST getting as an employee. I'd hate to hear that conversation with Eric and his wife.

10. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

If Mangini didn't want Favre and we got Favre Mangini deserved to be fired. A leader doesn't take orders they give them.

11. JetsLookingforDWare

Holy shit this name thing again...

Brett Favre was kind of a big deal to the game of football before he became a Jet people.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Why would any HC who has spent the entire offseason planning and scheming, working on his gameplans, preparing to challenge for a division against a very tough rival and another with Tuna in charge, want to trade for a 38 year old QB who has been playing catch with high school kids all summer and going back and forth in an ugly dispute with his old team, 3 weeks before the season starts...

I was enamored with the Favre trade, and he made for some fun times this season, as well as some really frustrating ones. I don't know how things would have turned out if they had gone through with the Chad versus Kellen battle... but... from a logistical standpoint, a standpoint of a HC, it makes no sense. Favre wasn't even in football shape and was learning his first new playbook in over a decade. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Mangini didn't want Favre.

And I don't give a shit that he gave his kid the middle name Brett. That's the goddamn dumbest argument.

13. JetsLookingforDWare

He's a HC, not the owner of the Jets.

14. Salz

Salz New Member

No the dumbest argument is that he gave the kid name for PR purposes. If he did, he's a sick person.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

good catch, i'm an idiot.... i meant failing football team.

16. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Take it one step further. A leader doesn't give his son the middle name of someone he's not anamored with.

Total bullshit. Mangini named his first born after this guy. WTF more do you need to know?

17. SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers Member

No, the "spin" is that the middle name Brett was done as a coincidence and it became a "cute" PR story once Farve became a Jet.

Just a theory to counter the theory that it is a reason why Mangini was on board with Farve coming in.

18. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Quite a "coincidence."

19. JetsLookingforDWare

So you're saying that Mangini's Brett might not even have anything to do with Brett Favre?

Now you're fucking pushing it. Mangini works in football. Favre is really famous for throwing footballs. Connect the dots from there foo.

20. Salz

Salz New Member

Mangini said himself that he named him Brett after Favre.

Special middle names are nothing new for the Mangini family. Their first son, Jake Harrison, who's 4½, is named after New England safety Rodney Harrison. Their 2½-year-old son, Luke William, is named in honor of Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

"Well, the history behind that," Mangini explained, "is all my kids have middle names that are related to people that have been important to me in my football career."

You lose.