Brian Schottenheimer is the frontrunner at the moment

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Kramer, Jan 4, 2009.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

You can't pass protect with empty backfields and no blocking TE in this league.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

So then what you are really saying is that Schottenheimer is useless? Well, seems he will be our next HC. BTW, I thought Baker was supposed to be able to block. Richardson used to be able to. Only Jones is useless in that capacity as far as I know.

3. winstonbiggs

Either that or Favre is useless and Shots O was designed to make him comfortable? I'm not a fan of the O we ran this year. I was happy to get Favre, Favre proved his done. Shotty scares the crap out of me as the new HC. If it happens I won't whine about and hope for the best.

4. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Lets give Schotty a chance to fully install his prevent offense.

5. Don

I am more scared about the message that the Jets are sending by keeping all the assistants. It's saying we think Mangini sucked but everybody else was great.

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

This would be a typical moronic move by the Jets. I am so sick of this team. I am glad my kids are Giants fans so they do not have to suffer like I do.

7. winstonbiggs

It doesn't say that at all it says they are under contract and the new HC will evaluate them. Sutton may well end up as a position coach or fired and Shotty may well end up OC, out or QB coach? Also they may have thoughts of interviewing Shotty's father if that's the case it would be a bad move to fire his son.

You fire Sutton and I bet money he is signed onto either the Dolphins or Pats staff as a position coach.

8. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Your kids are Giants fans? Pssssht.

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It is the same thing that was done when Mangini was hired, remember the whole Dinger fiasco? It is actually smart business, let the new coach keep who he wants and get rid of the rest.

10. Blanda

Blanda New Member

How about finally breaking up the league of "good ol boy" coaches and bringing in somebody new? To hell with the schottenheimers, cowhers, etc. Something else I find kind of amusing is how the dolphins actually though they had a chance against the Ravens. Truth be told I think NE would have beaten them and made for a much more enjoyable football season, instead of watching SCRUB teams make the playoffs.

11. Don

Well, you may be right but can you name one other team not owned by Al Davis that has ever done this before? I don't think even he kept them all. It's just not done.

12. Don

That was different because Edwards wasn't fired. He left.

13. winstonbiggs

I really don't have an agenda other than to see the Jets get better. I really don't care about the rumors the guys who are talking the guys who aren't talking I just want the team to get a good coach get a good young QB and build a good team that has a chance to compete a few times for the trophy.

I don't believe Tannenbaum is a great football guy but I do believe he is a very smart man and he has the advantage of being young and surviving after a few mistakes. Hopefully he can find a great football guy to coach the team, rebuild the personal department and move the team forward. I think he is going to do a very extensive search and hopefully he gets the right guy. That's my hope. I thought Mangini could be that guy and I really believe he will become a good HC but maybe not here at this time with the distraction of the new stadium and the economic reality that this team also faces.

There is no formula, I have watched a ton of football over more than 40 years. There have been a handfull of really outstanding coaches in that time that are a cut above the rest. Most of them are just good dedicated guys who came through a system and have both success and failure. Being a fan is a life time commitment based on hope for a better day. A better day is coming for the NY Jets.

14. Don

I have the advantage over some of at least watching SB3 and being a fan since '65. I feel bad for those that came to the Jets after that and I hope you are right and that a better day is coming.

15. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

The sack numbers decreased by 23 sacks in one year

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Jets haven't hired an offensive minded coach since Kotite, maybe it is time..

17. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

This is a nice post. We are on the same page brother.

I haven't been too impressed with B Schotty so far. He looked great in 06--clever plays, game planning each week, no O-line and a limited QB to work with--but I don't know what that was about in retrospect... 07 was awful, I mean I don't care what you have, 4-12 is awful. This year's collapse was painful to watch, though Favre was a big headache for him to deal with down the stretch as an OC.

However, he is young. He can learn and adjust. He comes from an NFL family so he probably has pretty good connections when it comes to look for support staff. If Tanny thinks he deserves a shot, then I guess I'll just sigh and hope for a return to the glimpse we saw in 06.

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well I have been a season tix holder since 65 & also have been lucky enough to see SB3 as it occurred but come 01/13/69 when darkness came to this franchise & to this date has not dissapiated. Now we hear that the owner/GM are keying on Shotty Jr as our next HC so how can you say that better days are forthcoming when they have not forthcome for almost 40 years now? Every one laughs at Oakland for having a looney owner well maybe those people should direct there attention 3,000 miles east to Florham Park to see another daffy owner at work.

#118 championjets69, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

That said, I'd like to know the number of "hurries" and times Favre was hit after release this year, as opposed to Penny/Clemens last year.

Favre spent a lot of time looking at the sky this year. That's not reflected in the sack totals.

While this line played somewhat better this year than last, it had far more talent. The talent did not play far enough above last year on passing plays to justify the contracts that bolstered it.

Was that the schemes? Overrated talent? Or coaching? I don't have an answer on that. All I know is, this line didn't play as well as it should have, and using the number of sacks surrendered to support Callahan is a mighty big stretch.

I will say the run blocking appeared better this year. How much of that was the line and how much was Jones/Washington making things happen I don't know.

20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Using the sacks surrendered statistic is a BIG STRETCH? The sack total DECREASED BY 23! That is a very significant difference. If you want to dispute the impact Callahan had on the OL by not using sack totals, then research the hurries and hits after the ball was released and compare it to 2007. What were your expecations going into 2008? How much did you factor in the learning curve of having 2 new starters and a new QB?

Fact is our sack totals decreased by nearly 50%