Kerry Rhodes.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETSFAN1290, Jan 4, 2009.

1. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Reed is the best safety in football right now. And honestly, I think Rhodes is 2nd...maybe a distant 2nd, but 2nd. Polamalu is the most overrated safety in football. He makes some ridiculous plays and ridiculous hits, but he's oftentimes a liability. He'll take too many gambles looking for that big hit.

2. MikeSLTJ23

My apologies...I misspoke and accidentally took away a title of most overrated safety away from Roy Williams. I apologize, Mr. Williams.

3. IATA

IATA Trolls

Polamalu may take gambles, but honestly, how often do they hurt the Steelers? How often is Polamalu in the top part of the league in defensive stats? Every single season. How could he even POSSIBLY be considered overrated?

4. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Draft Taylor Mays USC the next Ed Reed.

5. MikeSLTJ23

That's why he's overrated. His stats don't tell the true picture in my opinion. Put a worse D around him (a la Rhodes) and his gambles would prove to be a lot more costly. That's just my opinion. He's not a top 2 safety, but everyone talks about him and Reed in the same breath. Therefore, in my opinion, he's overrated.

6. IATA

IATA Trolls

You take risk to make the big plays that win the big games.

I really don't understand your evaluation of Polamalu, but to each their own.

7. Kenny

Kenny New Member

you realize polamulu sucked last year

8. IATA

IATA Trolls

He played most of the season injured and missed 5 games as well.

9. Kenny

Kenny New Member

heres the excuses.. when he played he was terrible..

10. IATA

IATA Trolls

He was injured?

11. MikeSLTJ23

No, you play sound defense to win big games. Gambling to make the big plays more often than not costs those types of games. Trying to be bigger than the team is a terrible game plan for an individual. Playing like a team and taking control of your assignment while trusting the rest of your teammates to make the plays they need to make is much more of a winning formula.

My assessment is that his teammates actually HIDE his weaknesses. The guy has an incredible amount of talent, but I think he uses it more to get on SportsCenter than he does to help his team win. His fellow DBs hide his weaknesses in coverage. That's my opinion of him. Too often, I think he's just freelancing out there.

12. zonebuster413

zonebuster413 Member

So have anyone else got over the fact that Ed Reed was passed on so we can select B. Thomas?

13. MikeSLTJ23

Nope, still have nightmares.

14. JetGreen

JetGreen New Member

A couple of years ago, Rhodes had numbers like 4 sacks, 4 Ints, and 3 forced fumbles or something, which were way better than Polamalu (1 Int maybe?) and Reed's (4 Ints, 1 forced fumble?) numbers. Since then though, Polamalu and Reed have gotten back to their elite ways while Rhodes has played well but not at the elite level. The fact that the Steelers and Ravens have dominating defenses helps their safeties. The Jets pass rush has been poor most of the time and the rest of the secondary (except Revis) has been a big problem.

Hopefully with a new coach and an improved secondary, Rhodes can get to the elite level.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

you could say that about every safety in the game