WOW, did the Jets make a mistake letting Mangini go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Dec 31, 2008.

1. jets12

jets12 Active Member

This is the kind of coach I want them to hire. Read this. He was tough on the players, wanted them prepared for the next oppenent and he realized that Sutton and Schotenehimer were killing him. This guy just needed one more year with Romeo Crennel and a solid offensive coordinator and he would have become a great coach. This is really sad.

I don't know how many Jets fans caught Jay Glazer's interview on WFAN tuesday. It was very interesting.

According to Jay Glazer's "sources".

Eric Mangini was too hard on his players. He would berate his players in front of the team when they didn't perform well or finish their assignments or didn't have knowledge of the opponents schemes or players.

One case of Mangini being hard on his guys was during the bye week when Eric called Favre and Tony Richardson into his office to rip them for playing poorly in practice. The players called it the principal's office. Eric laid into Favre for his decision making and blasted Richardson for going soft on some of his blocks.

Eric would watch game film and then call individual players into his office to ream them. He would also give each of his players a quiz on the up coming opponent's players. Eric also was hard on his assistants according to Glazer. Mangini was not happy with Sutton and Schottenheimer and while he publically defended them, He would critique their gameplans heavily every week.

So much for the perception that Mangini was soft or didn't care. You can throw that one out the window.

2. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

ultimately....he hired both the coordinators
    so it is completely his fault
    ....the only way he could have saved his job was if he had fired Sutton and called a successful defensive game during the last 3-4 weeks...or made the playoffs
    b/c if we lost solely b/c of the offense...he could have pinned Schotty

3. jets12

jets12 Active Member

We lost because we had a loser at QB who is all about himself and threw 12 interceptions in the last five games and missed tons of open receivers.

4. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

No we didnt, we lost because our coaching staff was outcoached and called a horrible last 5 games.

Farve had been throwing INTs all season, what about when we were 8-3, Farve was tied with JT O'Sullivan for the most INTs in the NFL.

Our coaching staff sucked. Mangini was garbage, and had to go! He was outcoached in at least 10 of our 16 games in this season. Yet some how we stilled pulled off 9 wins. We are lucky we came away with wins against the Bills and Cheifs. Mangini was horrible and had to go! Now the rest of these guys have to go! Clean house! Everyone except Westoff and Callahan.

5. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

Not in Wood Heads mind, because all he cares about is getting Favre back.

6. jigglebilly

jigglebilly New Member

I kinda agree, I didn't Mangini was too terrible though.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

No, they didn't make a mistake. Unless waiting too long to do it was the mistake. They should have after last year.

8. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

If you can't beat Seattle or San Francisco or both in this case then you deserve to get fired

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You forgot Oakland.

10. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Mangini coached scared, and that is why he was fired. His firing was deserved.

11. 4transplant4

4transplant4 New Member

That's funny...I don't recall seeing too many open receivers on this Jets team.

12. rillo

rillo New Member

There were, he just never checked the ball down.

13. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Scared of getting balled up in medical tape and dropped in the Hudson River...

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

So if he was so good being tough on his players, why did they still play with their heads up their behinds down the stretch?

I continue to be amazed at people who think that the only choices are that it was all Mangini's fault or all Favre's fault. They both had bad years, and both were absolutely putrid down the stretch. Five straight weeks of a team underperforming when they control their own destiny, combined with horrible playcalling all year, means the coach has to go. Two TDs, 9 INTs, and 5.78 yards per passing attempt in five games down the stretch means the soon-to-be 40-year-old QB should also go. It's really not that complicated.

15. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

Not only do I disagree, but is it that hard to check if a similar thread has been posted? Come on...

16. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Favre was far from his best in the last few games, but to say that it was all his fault.. c'mon now! He was not the one who failed to make any halftime adjustments or made questionable at best playcalls. If any team hires Mangini, watch him follow Hermy's path (2-14 anyone?)... they are on about the same level, except Edwards at least was good at giving speeches.

17. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

I have been a big defender of Mangini. All the things you said are true about him. His problems were not during the week however. Everyone knows he is a smart guy with a great work ethic who expects the same from his players. Instead his issue was his in game managment and adjustments. This is where he needed to improve and hadn't over his three years here. He became too conservative and didn't make the right calls at the right time. I do think if given more time (how much more I don't know would one year be enough...probably not) he would have corrected these things. The Jets and their fans were obviously not willing to wait on his learning curve.

Oh and the critics that say he doesn't care are just being rediculous. Thats just fans and media not getting it. My father has been a huge Jet fan since the 60's and he's very knowledgable but he hated Mangini because he wouldn't say what was wrong. He hated the fact that he didn't say my QB stunk today or our players couldn't tackle but thats just his old school mentality. To me it doesn't matter what the coach does if he yells fine, if he stands there unreadable fine as well, just win. Mangini didn't win these last 5 games and thats why the fans and media couldn't deal with his coaching style.

18. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

Unless the felt they had Cowher in the bag, they shouldn't have fired him. I was down on him from the Seattle game, but truth be told , if I were Woody, I would have kept him. Sutton had to go, Schotty had to be reigned in and the Favre signing turned out to be a mistake. I liked Eric, and thought he was a little green and would learn from his mistakes. Cowher had to learn from his, same with Fisher. I feel Eric could have been that level of coach. Marty scares the hell out of me.

19. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

The Mangini firing was the right way to go. With one year left on his deal it was simple, extend him or give him his walking papers. He couldn't motivate this team after an 8-3 start this year, they were going to play with fire for him when he had lame duck status?

20. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Can't it be both? Favre's INTs hurt the team and the erratic play calling were both to blame.