Vilma compensation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by riggo1, Dec 29, 2008.

1. riggo1

riggo1 New Member

I'm assuming we get nothing for DBlob, but what will we end up getting for Vilma. He had a pretty strong year, as expected, for the Saints.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I believe the Saints have to sign him before the Free Agency period... or not... before we find that info out.

3. riggo1

riggo1 New Member

gotcha thanks.

4. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

The Jets already received a 4th for Vilma last year. If however, he reaches playing incentives (which I think he did) AND the Saints resign him to a long term contract, the Jets give the Saints a 4th this year and we receive a 2nd.

5. HughC

HughC New Member

If Vilma participated in at least 85% of the defensive snaps (pretty sure he did) and the Saints sign him to a contract extension, the Saints send the Jets their 2nd round pick.

The kicker is that the Saints also traded their 2nd round pick (along with their 5th) to the Giants for Shockey. If that 2nd rounder is not available, then New Orleans sends the Giants thier 1st round pick instead. A 1st and 5th round pick for Shockey may be one of the most lopsided trades in the history of the NFL. Makes me wonder if the won't resign Vilma just so they can keep their 1st round draft pick.

6. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

This is in the New Orleans online newspaper (Times Picayune) today. Doesn't sound right to me, but here's what they're saying:

"The NFL has not released the official order for the 2009 NFL Draft, but the Saints will pick No. 14 in the April 26-26 event.

The Saints finished at 8-8, tied with Denver, Houston, San Diego and Washington but earned the middle spot of the five .500 teams because of the strength-of-schedule tiebreaker.

The Saints have picks in the first, third, fourth and seventh rounds, but will likely surrender their third-round pick to the Jets in exchange for the Jets' fourth-round pick because of terms of the trade for linebacker Jon Vilma. That would leave the Saints with a first-rounder, two fourths and a seventh-rounder in the draft.

The league will not announce the entire draft order until Tuesday."

7. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

No that sounds right. I thought the Jets got a 2nd, but it is a 3rd. The Jets give the Saints their 4th rounder, in essence the Jets are giving back the 4th they received from the Saints last year in exchange for a 3rd.

8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Hm. The Jets might be better off with the 4th based on recent history.