Article on Keller

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Dec 26, 2008.

1. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

I don't know how many of you read the article in the daily news about Mangini's tongue lashing on Keller but this is just more evidence that Mangini must be fired. Keller has had a solid rookie year with over 500 yards in receptions. In the last four games his roll has diminished and it seems that Mangini has relegated Keller to the doghouse. Exactly what did the kid do that was so terrible I still do not know. The article quotes Mangini as saying the kid needs to be consistent. Yep, that's just great coaching, not only does it demoralize the kid but you are taking away one of our best offensive players. Talk about ironies, what about Mangini who has made a plethora of bad coaching decisions both on Xs and Os and on his communication skills with players. I really hope Mangini is done after the year but unless the fins blow us out of the water he will be back.

2. bwgold

bwgold New Member

Amazing

Heres a kid that by all accounts worked his a** off in preseason and looked like a real seam buster. After a great preseason, we don't even see him during the first half of the season. He gets an opportunity and makes the most of it. All across the middle of the field - he still isn't sent up the seam. After 4 pro bowl weeks, He drops a pass early in a game no one shows up for and isn't targeted again until late in the fourth quarter. For the last three games he runs the same route every time he's in the game, which is significantly less. Still haven't seen him up the seam. Now Mangini has called him out twice for being a rookie. What an idiot!!

3. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

If Favre stays, Mangini and co stay. If Favre retires, the OC, DC, and Mangina get fired.

And it will be up to Favre to decide whether he plays for the Jets or retires...and no one will interfere with his decision here in NY.

4. I bleed Jets Green

I bleed Jets Green New Member

What an idiot. He prepares for the Dolphins before the Seahawks game & he treats Keller like crap because he is busting his rear to help the team win. Nice job Mangini. Your an idiot.

5. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

First off, there is no link to the article, hence were reacting to hearsay atm. I am not doubting he said this, but there is no proof this even came out of his mouth.

6. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I think it is funny you are going out on a limb to defend Keller when you haven't heard the whole story. All you get is this one clip of information and you think you know the whole story? I'm sure there is more to it than this.

7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Rookies are going to make mistakes. Keller's account is way in credit, yet he appears to have been punished for one mistake. That drop was on the first drive of the 49ers game and Mangini took the unusual step of highlighting that play as a momentum changer.

Not using Keller more is just hurting the team - and Favre loves him, so it just makes no sense. There must be more to it than we're hearing. If Mangini really is just punishing the guy for that one drop he needs to bench a lot of other players too.

8. bwgold

bwgold New Member

Mangini on Keller

12/26 Daily news

"Keller, trying to explain his fade route, believes it's because defenses are paying more attention to him. Eric Mangini didn't dispute that theory, but he also suggested that Keller needs to grow up.

"This isn't bowl season, it's not college, getting ready for your exams, getting ready for Christmas break, whatever. That's not the case here," said Mangini, more critical of Keller than perhaps any player on the team. "You've got to be consistent, consistent, consistent. It's a longer year, and that's just the way it is."

Keller's disappearance has corresponded with his opening-drive drop in San Francisco three weeks ago. After that, he received an earful of venom from Mangini, who, stepping out of character, revealed that he gave Keller a tongue-lashing. "

For my money - Mangini is who needs to grow up.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

my only guess is there is something going on in practice as well.

if not, i don't know what to think anymore. My faith dwindles with each story and game I watch with this CS.

10. bwgold

bwgold New Member

Keller seems to have a record as a hard worker but even if something has gone on in practice - we dont know- why weaken the team by giving him less targets in a playoff run. This is professional football not high school. Lack of consistent use of this teams strongest assets - not just Keller - has been a problem all year.

11. KyleJetfan

KyleJetfan Active Member

hes hanging out with Baker, you knew the selfishness and "im better than everyone" attitude wore off on him!

12. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

There was a connection between Brett and Keller and I thought whenever Keller was out there he was a threat to the other team, which in turn freed up our other receivers or at least gave them more time to run the routes. But by the HC pulling him for a drop and taking him out of our offense sceam seems to be hurting us more then letting him play. If this is all true this is terrible TERRIBLE coaching. ANd changes should be made.

13. hazmat

hazmat New Member

This is so funny. All of you complain that Mangini shows no emotion and never holds his players accountable. Now he does and you all find fault with him. No matter what he does he can never win with any of you!!!!

14. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

The only clue I get out of this is that maybe Keller hit the rookie wall a few weeks ago- not all that unusual.

but mangina is a scumbag, and I criticized him for being a putz about blaming the SF game on an early Keller drop. He's just a douche who isnt a very good coach.

15. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Was anyone here even at practice to see if Keller is working hard?

We do not know the whole story, yet we bash Mangini.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

it's obvious mangini doesn't like colored athletes

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Maybe if Mangini would show some balls, he'd blast some of his do nothing VETERANS instead of picking on the rookie. How about starting with Ty "I see nobody to hit" Law. How bout Brian "I'm stealing my gamecheck" Thomas for starters. How about Bubba "Why the fck am I here" Franks..

Point is, there are too many veterans to blast instead of a promising if not impact rookie. Mangini has completely lost whatever grace I had left to give him. Fck that guy and his entire CS except maybe Westhoff and even that's getting thin..

18. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

I am critical of Mangini being critical. The post right above me states how he wants Mangini to criticize the vets, and I could not agree more. Remember the pick-6 Favre threw in the KC game that Mangini blamed on Stuckey? Instead of blaming the guy that has started 240-someodd games consecutively he blames the guy starting his 7th NFL game. He needs to go after some of the vet and not just take out his frustrations on rookies.

19. Tight

Tight Active Member

Why dooes'nt he do some consistent consistent consistent good coaching.. TOOL

20. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

I would asssume, naturally, this has to do with some stuff that has been kept close to the vest most of the season. I am not going to go rampant on Magini when we have no idea what has been going on in that practice facility, a nd what Keller has done off the field. So, Magini could be speaking truth, for all we know. Yeah, he may have layed into him after that drop, and he did note it was a turning point for the offenses confidence in that game, but... meh.

What is he going to do, lay into coles for the drop last week? We all know Coles will tell him to F off and start becoming a TO type person.

As I said, we don't know the full details of what is going on here, and most people are just assuming this is all about his one big drop a few weeks ago. I think there may be more going on then meets the eye.