Where does this rank among the all time Jets Agony?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Dec 22, 2008.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

As bad as this is, Losing to the Browns in Double OT in '87 will ALWAYS be the worst Jets pain I ever suffered.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm gonna go with Fake Spike for a hunnid..

3. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Bubby Brister as QB.

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

There have been a handful of seasons where I actually believed we had great talent that could really compete for a SB. 82 in Miami was the worst for me. 85 and 86 were bad. Last year killed me and this year was mostly fun but very dissapointing. It's hard to watch a team with this kind of talent fold up after 11 games. Its hard to have proper perspective while still in shock.

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

82 was much worse.

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

To me, this was one of the worst, if not THE worst. This year started with optimisim. Something that no other year really has.
    With the exception of Vinny going down in game 1. This team has crushed me, again. As i get older, it gets harder to deal with this.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I started watching in '86 and honestly don't remember much from that season.

Right now, this feels like the worst collapse to me. At 8-3 the team looked like a legit superbowl contender. Legit contender - no homer involved. Then they IMMEDIATELY started to suck. It was like someone turned off a switch. It's hard to digest and it's impossible for me to understand right now.

I want answers.

8. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

The year's not over, so I can't rank it yet.

9. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Yes, there could always be that slight chance....

Remember the Packer game...the place going nuts after learning the team had a shot at the title.

10. Jetdic

Jetdic Active Member

Doug Brien missing 2 field goals in 2 minutes.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Yes, for some masochistic reason we will all invest at least one more week of emotion in this team and likely be let down. The way they've been playing it's hard to imagine them going anywhere.

Sadly, it appears as if the season has been over ever since they boarded the plane home from Tennessee.

12. viper

viper New Member

I have been watching for 30 years, this is one of the top 5 for sure, but I also have a short memory with these things so if I dissect them loss by loss this may slip lower. Make no mistake, this was a bad one.

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

This impending collapse is pretty bad....and the fact that this season will be looked upon as the "skidmark" of Favre's legacy doesn't help matters either.

14. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

'86 all over again, except without the injuries.

15. jessedark

jessedark Active Member

This feel like the mud bowl loss down in Miami.

Has a team ever had 7 pro bowlers and not made the playoffs? Probably another negative first for the SOJ.

16. jaybny

jaybny Banned

if they get in and win a playoff game... this wont be in the top 10. lets wait 7 days!

17. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I can't rank it yet. This kind of thing has happened too many times for it to be fair. I never beleived in the Jets curse. I would always say - shut up. Now, I am not so sure.
    We were 8-3 and caved like I never have seen. I say that because the talent level of the teams that embarrassed us were; pretty much horrible.

Losing to NE in the beginning of the year was to be expected.
    SD - I am OK with that too because their writing was not on the wall yet.

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Well, New England can seal the pain Sunday.

Still, there is the potential for 2002 all over again.

#18 xxedge72x, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  19. JerrichoTpke

JerrichoTpke New Member

It is a different type of collapse because you could see it coming for the last 4 weeks. As a season, it is incredibly dissapointing, but Doug Brien or the 98 AFCCG is more painful, because we were so close. This might be the season that turns me into the "Same Old Jets" type of fan. I am only 25, so I have not lived through the heartache that most fans have. I have heard it from my father and plenty of older Jets fans that have lived through the pain. After this season, I don't think I will ever get my hopes up and will always be expecting them to blow it. After those 2 road wins with the offense looking unstoppable, Favre at QB, I was pumped for a memorable ride and it all came crashing down. I am here at work and can't get a damn thing done, I am depressed about this team and this season. Watching next Sunday to see Chad QB a Parcells team as they clinch the division in our house might just turn me into Joe Beningo.

20. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Exactly. The Doug Brien game and Cleveland 1987 were two games from the Super Bowl, the Mud Bowl and the Denver games were one game from the Super Bowl--all playoffs, so much bigger losses.

The closest thing I'm feeling right now is 1993, with Favre in the role of Boomer and the collapse from 8-3 vs a weak schedule instead of from 8-5 with a very difficult one. If we sneak into the playoffs and then blow it, maybe 1986, but that was a much better team that had a lot of injuries at the end.