Knowing Jets fans makes me not want to be one

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DennisByrd, Dec 22, 2008.

1. DennisByrd

DennisByrd New Member

I gotta say before I discovered this site I was a die hard Jets fan. Since they drafted Ken O"Brien from UC Davis (the college is right down the street from where I grew up) when I was 5. As soon as Direct TV came out with the NFL Sunday Ticket in the mid 90's I used my own money to pay for it. I was maybe 15 or 16 years old. I finally went to my first game in 2004 in NY (NJ, but who's counting) (vs the Seahawks.. boo). It was great. That's a little background for anyone who cares.

Coming to this site and others and reading how Jet fans are kind of spoils being fan for me. Terrible attitudes-Monday morning Coach/QB to the extreme. Its crazy to me all the extreme negativity. Rooting against the team to not make the playoffs because they don't deserve to make it?! What is that? The 1991 Jets made it at 8-8 and almost beat the mighty Oilers. The (I think) 1996 Colts were 9-7 and came an inch away from the Superbowl-barely losing to the Steelers.

Last thing. I live in Raider country and the fans while kind of nuts are still overall very passionate and very loyal. I am fine with being disappointed, but I get the sense that many Jets fans are almost secretly rooting against the team just to have more ammunition to why they suck and the coach sucks and the GM sucks and the players suck and the owner sucks... I just don't get it guys. I know I know just to come to the site(s)-problem fixed. or is it?

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

So should fans cheer when their hopes are dashed year after year.

You have to understand, this Jets legacy has been building for years.

Yet we come back each Spring.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yeah. Kinda like Lucy always pulling the football away before Charlie Brown can kick it..

4. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Dennis Byrd had the courage and physical dynamic and belief to never quit against impossible odds. He rose a walked. A great human being and a great player.

Our team showed this in 2 games out of how many this year?

5. JetsLookingforDWare

I agree...I was never much of a dejected Jets fans who connected every loss with every other loss until I was informed that thats what being a Jets fan is all about.

Jets fans expect this team to lose. The glee some of the posters here have over being "right" about Mangini is unbe-fucking-lievable.

And the amount of Monday Morning coaching going on is scary....it's so easy to sit at your computer and go..."I would have done the opposite of what didn't work." Cause thats pretty much what you're saying to me, and it's just bull.

6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

We sucked. And we're pissed. So what? Let a fanbase grieve.

7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Good post, we could use some of Dennis' heart on this team.

8. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I guess its okay for you to accept mediocrity, but for the rest of us the back half of this season was unacceptable and inexcusable.

9. JetsLookingforDWare

Arizona.

St. Louis.

Buffalo the first time around.

Again, nice to see these games have all been conveniently forgotten. I notice a shitload of things being conveniently forgotten or unnoticed or walked around just to reach one conclusion...the coaching sucks.

It doesn't make sense, but when did shit have to make sense for people to think they were right?

10. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

Trust me, I'm a die hard JETS, METS, KNICKS AND RANGERS fan. I have suffered tremendously for the past 47 years of my life. Well actually 42 years, but anyways, I have endured heartbreak year after year with all my teams...

I've been a season ticket holder since '95 and let me say that I will continue to support my Jets, but will NOT support this coaching staff anymore. Just a pathetic group of shit.

I just wish for once, owners of shitty teams listen to their fans and make changes. Woody is in LOVE with Mangina and doesn't know how to flick a booger.

I'll be there next year and root my beloved Jets...what can I do except be a fan? I don't control what happens on the field. I'm over it. The Jets had a weak schedule, HOF QB, revamped OL and we are the laughing stock of the AFC.

We lost to a bunch of guys who shouldn't even be in the league. 5 guys who never started on the team, the Seahawks, handle our front line like ragdolls.

All I can do is be a fan...embarrassed year after year. Fall down, get up, lick the wounds and fight some more. In the end, we are all just fans...passionate ones!

11. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

and here comes the righteous one.......

12. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

St. Louis I will give you. We mauled em'.
    Arizona - Our defense was less than spectacular.
    Buffalo - Just a so-so win

This team has drastically under-achieved this year; that really starts pointing a glaring finger at the coaching of the team. The only coach I would be willing to go to bat for is Westhoff and that is it.

13. Bipolar The Titan

Bipolar The Titan New Member

I have a question... being that many of you are actual New Yorkers how do you feel about the Giants? I am thirty and when I was a kid the Giants were a dynamic team as they are today. I imagine that you guys must have a lot of friends and relatives that are fans of Big blue... how does that work exactly? Do you hate them for their success or is there admiration with secret contempt? Or do you just not think about them? I don't really know how I would feel. I'm just happy to have a team let alone the choice of two...
    another question...

do you know bandwagon fans that go back and forth between the Jets and Giants? How does that play in your personal opinion.... not necessarily the what you might say to their face but in your heart of hearts?

also, this is just a honest inquiry. I haven't any kind of dick head agenda here... I'm just curious...

14. JetsLookingforDWare

Huh? We forced like 5 turnovers in that first half, and the closest their powerful offense got to us was 2 possessions.

And Buffallo was a so-so win? Back then our whole season depended on it and blah blah blah...I love this shit.

And what's been so special about our special teams this year that Westhoff is untouchable? Not saying I wouldn't keep him around or that he isn't the shit, but our special teams play hasn't been anything special. I guess he's just this years "Jet who can't have a negative thing said about him?" Didn't Leon already have that one on lock?

15. 4transplant4

4transplant4 New Member

I agree 100% with the original poster. After following closely the whole Favre/Packers divorce, I followed Brett over to the Jets because I realized how badly he was getting screwed by the Packers organization...regardless of the spin they tried to put on it.

The extreme negativity on this site was pretty shocking to me at first. And the way the Jets fans on here describe the players and coaches makes me feel like a fly on the wall in a maximum security men's prison.

I'll keep rooting for the Jets even after Brett's gone, and maybe be disappointed more often than not, but there's no way I'll ever become that negative and nasty. I asked for Jets gear, sweatshirts, etc. for Christmas this year and if I get them, I'll wear them proudly...win or lose.

#15 4transplant4, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  16. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

"Knowing Jets fans makes me not want to be one"

Fine. Don't be one. What am I supposed to do, break down and cry because somebody doesn't like to hear team criticism after such a miserable 4 weeks? I'm supposed to back off being pissed and expressing myself because somebody else might not want to be a Jets fan after reading it?

Truly ridiculous post. This is a Hall-of-Famer. After all the money this team spent in the offseason going after all the supposed talent we have here, for this team to collapse this way is unacceptable, period.

You had five reserve, no-name players, some playing out of position on the Seahawks' O-line yesterday, that shouldn't have been able to hold off the black-and-orange Linden High School Tiger defense and we had zero pass rush. Zero.

And we couldn't run or pass the ball against a 3-11 team that ranked 30th in the NFL in total defense and dead fucking last in pass defense! And I'm supposed to care if somebody doesn't want to be a Jets fan because they don't like the fact that I'm pissed?

I mean, seriously man. Just don't be a Jets fan then. But I'm still going to be pissed and I'll take it a step further... Mangini owes us an explanation... all of us... and a much better one than his usual microphone schtick about "the three phases" and all.

If you don't want to be a Jets fan, that's your option. But you're looking at the wrong place to place the blame for it. You should be looking at Eric Mangini and the players for those answers, not the fans themselves.

They all (we all) have every right to be totally and completely pissed off.

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

good for you, man....it's good to stay positive. But when you've been following this team as long as some of us have on this board....the letdowns begin to happen more frequently...and it gets more painful to endure every season. :sad:

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets were 8-3 and on top of the division, then showed up flat and without any fire they had previously in their next 4 straight games. We controlled our own destiny and were even talking about a #2 seed at one point, then dropped our hopes in the toilet and flushed it.

Denver, whose defense is pathetic.

San Francisco, the Bills, and now Seattle.

None of these teams would have stood a chance against the team that beat the Titans. Something happened with the team that turned them from lions to lambs. It's sickening to see because it's happened so many times before. This time we got picked apart by Seneca Fucking Wallace. In the snow.

Sorry, but I think that is plenty of reason to be pissed off right now.

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I have no problem with Big Blue. As long as there's a NY team playing important games in some sport somewhere, I'm gonna root for them. I guess that's the advantage of being an X-new yorker. You don't get caught up as much.

Bandwagon fans? Don't know any but I do know quite a few diehards. Fortunately, I don't know any Homers personally.. :)

20. Heavy Metal Thunder

I think part of it is that most Jets fans live in NY/NJ where we have a two team city. That, in turn, breeds an attitude of "boo hoo I'm a martyr and the Jets owe me big time because I supported them when I could have been a Giants fan instead and saw my team win the SB boo hoo". This "keep up with the Joneses" mentality is enhanced when the Giants are playing well.