Oh, how I wish I was wrong

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DeathByJets, Dec 21, 2008.

1. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

mmmmm hmmmmm:rolleyes: I was with you though

I fully agree that we were/are a rebuilding team, regardless of press quotes. #1 argument against Favre was the pause that would occur in building a perennial contender. Was it exciting at times? Sure. Did I believe for a brief time? Yup...cause I'm a Jets fan. But in the end, Burt's acquisition was exactly what I thought it would be-a detour. I only hope that Kellen and other-Brett learned some stuff.

I have been behind the rebuilding effort and supportive of Mangini, even up until this week, but the team just looked Flat. One bad flight out west is excusable. Two bad flights and I'm worried. But to shit the bed all three trips falls squarely on the staff's inability to coach all facets of the team.

The coordinators should definitely be gone. I'm still on the fence with the fat guy. I really don't want to start over completely, but a year with different coordinators should clarify the pudding. Even that's not fair though (if new systems are installed-it's still like starting over).

2. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Back to the original post, I think it was important for the Jets to get rid of Chad. It had to be done. I like Chad and I wish him the best but he he and the baggage that came with him was holding the Jets back. Favre was the best option and, even with hindsight being what it is, I feel it was the best move. In retrospect, since the Jets will not be making the playoffs (and STFU with our "we still have a chance" bullshit that no one rational is on board for), they paid too high a price for Favre and should have just thrown Clemens or Ratliff out there. But I supported the move at the time and I'll defend it now.

3. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

That's actually the best thing to come out of the Favre acquisition.

I also happen to think that beating Miami at home and either the Pats or Ravens losing is not that far fetched. Go Jets!

4. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Let me be clear that I wanted Chad gone too....I just didn't like bringing Favre in. I would have rather gone with the young guys.

5. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

and what exactly is Fvres preperation? He has looked like a bag of shit who could not care any less for about 5 weeks now

6. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

The problems with this team starts and ends with mangini...point blank...favre is irrelevant.

7. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

I'm not forgiving Mangini, but to say Favre is irrelevant is putting blinders on. Favre is a big part of the problem.

8. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

I remember thinking when they signed Favre: great we may have a decent year, but there's no chance we're going to the superbowl with him at his age. Hate that that was true. You can coach youth and favre has little of it left. At least our playoff chances are shot and we don't have to escalate the draft pick.

9. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

I think the main issue with this coaching staff is that there are no winners on it. Not one coach with maybe the exception of Callahan (SB appearance w/ Raiduhs) knows how to win.

I am truly sick of Mangini. Just watching him on the sideline doing nothing makes me wanna puke.

10. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Actually, I think it was worse than that. When you consider the talent on this team and how badly we played against SF and yesterday against an offensive line that was for all intents and purposes off the practice squad we as a team should just bury our heads in the sand and see if we can transfer to the Canadian Football League.

11. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I hate to say this, but I definitely do believe we would be going to the playoffs as division champions (even with a potential 1st round bye) had Chad remained with the Jets.

And I am not affraid to say that our coaching staff just sucks. If I were Woody, I wouldn't even hesitate. I would fire the bunch of them today and put Westhoff in as the temp coach for the Miami game. Guys we are not winning that game anyway. We will mail it in; I know this team; they are a bunch of quitters and babies. I don't want to read of them just having to prepare for the next game this week. Chad will kick our ass in our house this weekend - it is a near certainty. Phins 31 - Jets 10.

Plus even if we actually do show up for the game and win; there is no way, noway on this earth that NE will lose to Buff; it won't happen. So we are done. Now in a pretty short time all of the stupid mock-draft threads will start, etc, etc, etc. And, the long, long wait until next year.

12. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I completely disagree. Look at Chad's resurgance in Miami. It has nothing to do with his health. It has to do with getting the hell away from this team. Mangini and his staff never knew how to utilize Chad, even when he was healthy. You can blame the o-line but there are always ways to work around your team's shortcomings. Same problem with Favre - complete inability to capitalize on what he brings to the table and to neutralize the mistakes he makes.

13. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Let me put it like this; We would not be 0 - 4 on the west coast swing this year with Chad and I'll let it go at that.

I do agree that our coaching flat out is God-awful.

14. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

If we didn't trade for BF and played Ratliff he'd have a year of experience under him. Look at how much Cassel has improved over the course of the year. Even Jahmarcus Russel finally had a good game this week. Getting Ratliff a year of experience would not have led to a significantly worse record and it would have helped the team in the future. Also, we now have to give up a pick in what might be the best draft ever due to fears of a rookie salary cap. And we turned MIA into a winner by gifting them Chad.

The worst thing, is this could have been our year. Pats lose Brady, MIA still rebuilding, BUF is either rebuilding or just sucking. All we had to do is keep running the ball and we would have scored enough to win the division, but instead Brain Shot has to prove he's a genius with weirdo game plans.

15. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I have surmised that our coaching staff has to be Ellis's supplier.

16. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

The main reason Favre was brought in was to generate short term fan interest in the team so the owner could rip off the fans with that PSL garbage and merchandise sales. As if charging a ridiculous amount of money to watch this poorly coached team isn't bad enough. Winning is not a priority for this owner - it's secondary.

17. Blanda

Blanda New Member

#1 Get rid of Mangini and hire a real coach, he road the coattails of Belichick and Parcells. Even Romeo Crennel would be a better option. Besides lets really keep in mind that he ratted out somebody who was considered a friend/almost brother and named his kid after his mentor. This guy Mangini would be dead if he was NY mafia, hands down.

#2 Need to get a real QB, It might be worth the 1st round pick to grab up Cassels from the pats?

#3 We need to save face and beat MIAMI next week, then fire Mangini after...

18. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

#1: Mangini sucks but Romeo is worse. Mangini will not do what it takes to win. Romeo will actively throw the game away.

#2: No such thing as a "real QB." Every NFL QB is talented. You need a coaching staff that can utilize that QB. Cassel is nothing special but Beelzicheck has a special way of getting the best out of his players. We would be fine with Clemens or Ratliff if Mangini (or whoever replaces him) figures out how to put him to use.

#3: There is no saving face at this point. I'd rather the Dolphins win the division than the Pats so I'll be rooting for them after the Patriots win and we all know they will.