Prediction time: Jets at Seahawks!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfanmack, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

http://www.jetsdaily.com

Among the many themes to the New York Jets' season has been the inability to capitalize on opportunities. Eric Mangini's squad has failed on numerous times to take advantage of chances to secure a place in the postseason.

But the Jets know the story now. Their backs are against the wall, yet they control their own destiny. Travel to Seattle and beat the 3-11 Seahawks, and then come back home and face the Dolphins, in what could be the biggest regular season game in their history.

Think about it. Chad Pennington, dismissed as the Jets' quarterback because the front office felt that he couldn't win a championship, coming back to face his former squad with everything on the line.

But before they get there, they must take care of business in Seattle.

It's Mike Holmgren's last home game as coach of the Seahawks, so even at an injury-ravaged 3-11, his team should be motivated. They are coming off a win, albeit against St. Louis, and they'll want to send their coach out with a win in what could be the final home game of a great coaching career.

Offensively, Seneca Wallace will again replace the injured Matt Hasselbeck. Wallace is mobile and has played a lot better the last two weeks, including a 3 touchdown performance against the Patriots two weeks ago without throwing an interception.

The injury bug hit the receiving corps the worst, but both Deion Branch and Bobby Engram are healthy and playing again, so Wallace has some weapons to throw to. Branch particularly has 164 yards in his last two games.

Still, the weapon the Jets will most worry about is tight end John Carlson. The rookie has led all first-year tight ends in receiving yards and touchdowns. The Jets have been prone to allowing big games from tight ends, so Carlson must be a priority, especially on third downs.

Maurice Morris has received the bulk of the carries the last two weeks ahead of former starter Julius Jones. Morris has waited a long time for his chance, and his slight emergence has eliminated the possibility of the Jones brothers (Thomas and Julius) starting against each other. The Jets' run defense has been surprisingly lax recently. Kris Jenkins claims he is healthier and more well-rested, and that could mean good things for New York.

The Seahawks offense as a whole has awful numbers, and their offensive line suffered yet another blow last week as starting left tackle Sean Locklear will miss this week's game. On paper, this would seem like a game the Jets could get back on track against. After all, they are one of the worst teams in the NFL.

But traveling across the country has been a problem for the Jets all season. On their three previous trips out to the other coast, they lost to Oakland, San Diego, and San Francisco. Losing to Seattle suddenly does not look out of the question the way they have been playing.

Brett Favre needs to pick apart a secondary that has struggled to stop the pass for most of the season. They have improved in recent weeks, but if the Jets want to be a playoff team, they need to be able to put points up on the Hawks.

Jerricho Cotchery, Laveranues Coles, and Dustin Keller have not all put it together in the same game with Favre. This is the final tune up before the Miami game, so there are no more excuses for this receiving corps. They need to get open, and Favre needs to deliver them the ball. Both sides of that exchange have faltered too often.

The bread and butter for the Jets all season has been their running game. Thomas Jones has had a career year with 13 touchdowns and 1222 yards. He receives the vast majority of the carries, and while he is productive with him, Leon Washington must touch the ball more often. Every time the team needs a big play, they turn to the 5'9" sparkplug. But he needs more than two touches, which is all he received against Buffalo on offense.

The Jets need this football game. There is no doubt about that. Baltimore's win over Dallas Saturday night all but assures that. Seattle is a bad football team. Luckily, this is probably the last time Gang Green travels west, but they must solve that curse. Expect the Jets to start off strong, but not put the clamp down on a fired up Seahawks squad. The Jets will sweat it out, but they will come out ahead.

Jets 24, Seahawks 20

2. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

Today we prove that we can win on the west coast in an embarrassing fashion.

Jets 44, Seahawks 6.

3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I hope you're right... I think it's possible, and I think we have it in us, but I don't believe all the way just yet.

4. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

Jets 0
    Seahawks 2

5. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

I think that we hit a bump in the road, and I have not lost my faith. I found it very unreasonable to start with all the THIS SEASON IS A DISASTER! and FIRE MANGINI! talk after we lost two games. I still have faith in my team.

6. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Seahawks 16, Jets 13

7. Al13

Al13 Member

24-14 Seahawks, traveling to the west coast for the 2nd time in 3 weeks, with a tough game last week, i think seattle wins

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The weather will suck. Sleet and freezing rain. We have run the ball well all year and I hope Mangini doesn't use this as another time to get clever again and decide to pass on every down. Jets 17-10.

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Jets 17 Seahawks 9

10. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Jets 24 Hawks 9

11. Jets1458

Jets1458 New Member

Jets 27, Seahawks 17

12. Clayture

Clayture Member

Jets win 30 - 13

13. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

Jets 24- Seahaws 30. The spark is lost and everyone can score points on us.

14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Seahawks 31 Jets 17

15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Miniature Jets 14
    Seahawks 10

They barely get by.

16. NEW2008JETFAN

NEW2008JETFAN New Member

jets 27 - seahawks 20

17. Scottso

Scottso Member

This game makes me really, really nervous. These are the kind of games the Jets lose. I have alot more confidence against the Dolphins next week. But anyway my prediction is that we lose 27-17. Our defense is atrocious right now. The only reason I'm confident against the Dolphins is we have their number, we always beat them.

18. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

If we lose to the Seahawks, our season is over. The Miami game would be meaningless.

19. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

not if the pats lose

they play at one so we will know whether or not the game is meaningless when the game starts.

20. 4transplant4

4transplant4 New Member

According to the odds-makers we're not a big favorite to win, so, we probably will.
    Jets 31
    Hawks 6