Brett Favre: "These games could be my last"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfanmack, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

He should just STFU and play the damn game. He's a me me me jerk. Just play out the season and then either retire or not retire. None of this I'm going to think on it for five months shit.

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

That's my point. If Clemens is a franchise guy who is going to win us a Super Bowl, shouldn't he be able to decisively beat out Chad Pennington in camp, especially for as bad as you think Chad is? Because if he can't, what's the point of turning the team over to him simply because he's next in line?

If he was good enough he would have taken over the job regardless of the fans. If a guy steps in and wins for the Jets, that's what we care about. I was as big a Vinny fan as there was, for me he's right up there with Namath as my all-time favorite Jet QBs. When they first replaced him with Chad I was pissed because Vinny had won a lot of games here and I thought he got a bad rap. But once Chad started winning games and we rallied to win the division, I got on board. Same thing would have happened with Clemens.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

There are times I watch him and I think Aikman, then there are times I watch him and think this can't possibly be our future. He's on the Jets so I really really want him to do well. I just see don't see it.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

You realize the players are required to talk to the media right? If he refuses to answer questions or talk to them he is labeled a douche by the same people who are doing so for him giving an honest answer.

5. Long Time Jet Fan

He could simply say "My thoughts are on getting the Jets to the playoffs. I'm not focused on my future now." End of disucssion.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yes, that is my concern here. I of course don't know the particulars of the circumstances in camp, and what specifically were the reasons that the CS did not feel that Clemens was the answer. But since I also hardly can say I know he was, it has to give rise to a concern that he could not beat Chad out in camp.

There has been much written and considered about the nature of the transition from college Qb to the pro game. Arguably no other position sees as much difference making the move up. It's why so many top Qb prospects fail to impress when they get to the pros. It's also why you don't know what you have based on their college performance until they actually get out there and show what they can do.

Clemens, imo, did not give us a clear cut answer up or down last year, and the conditions were far from optimal. But this off season was different. I believe the team WANTED him to succeed. They wanted him to clearly beat out Chad so they could move on. That he did not has to be a concern.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

He could have said a lot of things. The reporter specifically asked him if he would look at the next two games any differently because they could be his last.

I'll never understand why his answer to that question upsets people so much. My guess is that they're looking for any reason possible to hate him. Other than that I can't think of anything that makes sense.

Coming from someone who has said "I would rather lose with Pennington than win with Favre", I'd say my guess is correct.

#87 WhiteShoeWillis, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  8. Italian Seafood

Elway started behind an atrocious line and he struggled, but he showed signs right away that he'd be good. Maybe Flacco and Ryan are the exception but they still show some signs, even if they aren't the polished finished product right now. Think of any good QB and there was usually some good stuff early in his career, even if it wasn't consistent.

With Clemens we didn't see much of that. He was effective scrambling for a while because we couldn't block for him, but he didn't have much for the couple of good teams he faced. We beat a couple bad teams and he did ok, against Dallas he was a no-show, lasted two plays at New England and put us in a 7-0 hole, completed one big pass against Pittsburgh but underthrew it and got Coles banged up for the rest of the year, nothing much to hang you hat on and say "I want to see more of this guy".

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I understand the point of some people wanting Favre to say things like 'Sunday is as far in the future as I am concerning myself with right now' or something along those lines, but those same people are expecting Favre to not be who he has been his entire career.

Favre is going to do this, I don't really care because his 'me me me' schtick involves Favre and not pulling some kind of nonsense in the lockerroom like Terrell Owens or something. This is Favre's career and he has the right to talk about it. It's not like he's bashing his teammates or coaching staff in the press.

Sometimes he talks without thinking, but the only people I see getting angry about it are the ones who hated us trading for Favre in the first place.

The usual suspects.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its kind of hard to judge clemmons baised on last years mess. No young QB is going to do well when there is a defensive jail break on him every other play. And our running game was not exactly relighable.

11. Blue Moose

Blue Moose New Member

I saw the press conference. It was taken totally out of context.

12. Long Time Jet Fan

Please show me where I said that.

13. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I hear you and can't argue with most of what you say.

Concerning the "competition" at TC between Clemens and Chad (and I've been there, remember), I always had the feeling that it was Chad's to lose. I'm convinced that Mangini had Chad pencilled in the entire time. You could just sense it at TC.

So, to say Clemens didn't beat out Chad at TC, well... was he really going to? I think Chad was the man all along, and then along came the possibility of getting Brett Favre and well, the rest is history.

Honestly, I think the problem Mangini and the rest of the CS has with Clemens could be cerebral. I'm saying, Clemens might not be the brightest lightbulb in the stable. I hate to say this, but it could very well be true. It was certainly the case that Chad had it all over Clemens in terms of intelligence, which is probably the main reason Chad was always pencilled in for the job and Clemens had to prove otherwise.

Perhaps we'll never know now. Clemens may be considered stale meat now by the Jets. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of Clemens in the off-season and what we do in terms of a QB. If you see Tanny reaching out again for yet another QB somewhere, Clemens' days are numbered here.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?p=885450#post885450

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ownage....

16. Long Time Jet Fan

Of course you left out the few more. That's true for me with any player. I'd rather watch guys I like play, then watch a bunch of jerks. I guess it's the difference between teams like the Cowboys and Bengals versus the Jets and Patriots.

17. Italian Seafood

By this camp you're probably right, I think they were more comfortable with Chad. But Clemens had a chance to win the job as a rookie when Chad was coming off two surgeries and didn't impress, he wasn't even the #2. Remember also that Clemens was the guy this regime drafted, they had no loyalty to Chad coming in and no history with him. People can write that off but again it's not impossible for a rookie to play and play well if he's that good. Look at Rothlisberger before him and Flacco and Ryan now, as I mentioned. Then he had half of last year in real games with no pressure to even win but at least put up some points and he didn't really even do that.

I'm not writing him off for good, I'm just saying I haven't seen any signs that excite you and make you think he's ready to step up. Even Glenn Foley gave you some glimpses in the horrible 1995 season, Browning Nagle had some good moments in a 4-12 year in 1992 and those guys never turned into regular starters here or anywhere else. Clemens to me hasn't done as much as those guys did to at least inspire some hope. You want to point to the comeback attempt at Baltimore in his first game, go ahead I guess, but we scored 13 points and lost the game.

18. Coach K

Coach K New Member

ur smoking crack, we will be in no position to draft colt mccoy. if by some miracle we are and we pass id launch furniture through the drywall.

19. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Very well put. We all know what we were getting when we brought Favre aboard. The offseason retirement talk was going to be right around the corner. It is what it is.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This was said before we even got favre. A lot of people felt this same way at that time. Digging it up like he said it last week is kinda lame.

And he was right, favre is not the difference between a SB and not.

Isn't this thread about taking things out of context? yet there you go.