Wikipedia Article on Ted Thompson (Favre Trade)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by greenwhite&nogold, Nov 29, 2008.

1. greenwhite&nogold

greenwhite&nogold New Member

I know this is more Packers related than Jets... well it kind of involves the Jets. So, I thought this might be of interest to fellow Favre fans that jumped the fence, like me.

If you google 'Ted Thomspon' and scroll down to 2008, here's what it says (excerpt). The second paragraph is awesome:

On what is known as the 'worst day in the history of Wisconsin', August 6, 2008, Favre was traded to the New York Jets for a conditional 4th round pick. Thompson traded away the NFL's all-time greatest quarterback, who was coming off one of his best seasons, for a single meaningless draft pick. The pick becomes a third-round pick if Favre takes the majority of the team's snaps at quarterback, a second-round pick if he takes 70 percent of the snaps and the team makes the playoffs, and a first-round pick if Favre takes 80 percent of the snaps at quarterback and the Jets reach Super Bowl XLIII. The Jets will also owe the Packers three first-round picks if Favre is traded to an NFC North team.

Ted Thompson is held as one of the worst GM's in Packers history after trading away the team's, and arguably the league's, greatest player of all time. Thompson made the 2008 season even worse when he decided to sign inexperienced quarterback Aaron Rodgers to a long term deal after only few lack luster games. After what is turning out to be a disappointing season for the Green Bay Packers in 2008, and messing up what could have been a Super Bowl season, there is the beginnings of a growing dissatifaction with Ted Thompson among true Packer fans.

2. 4transplant4

4transplant4 New Member

3. Bosko

Bosko Guest

This is a very misleading Wiki entry.

Aren't our New York Brets possibly going to the Super Bowl?

If so, when that "meaningless 4th round pick" becomes a first round draft pick... Yeah, it would be around #32, but still... It won't be a "meaningless" draft pick.

Second--didn't EVERY SINGLE NFL TEAM have a chance to try to trade for BRET FAVRE???

YES! THEY DID!!!

AND THEY ALL PASSED!!!!

HA HA HA HA HAHHHHHHH!!!!

(Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest after hearing about Dan Marino getting drafted at his position for the last 25 years!)

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

It has already been removed from the entry (hardly a surprise, as it is so obviously biased).

5. greenwhite&nogold

Are you a Dolphin fan or something?

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

The draft is meaningless. The Brady bunch drafted Tom in the 6th Round, 199th overall. This is the same Quarterback who has left the rest of the AFC East Team's fans in misery the past 6 years. The same quarterback who now has 3 Superbowl rings only 9 years into his career. To put things into perspective, that's the same amount of time that Chad Pennington has been in the league. You really don't know what you're getting in the draft. There are players who just perform better in college, and then there are those that become stars in the NFL.

Either way, whoever the Packers get for Brett.... Well, that kid is gonna have some pretty big shoes to fill.

7. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

If TT got Moss the Packers would have prolly won the SB last year. If they had kept BF, I don't think they would be a SB contender this year. Not getting Moss was the bigger mistake, but a lot of teams made that mistake as well. Thinking Randy Moss was too slow, that will go down in history.

8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Funny part is that he's not even the best QB in Packers' history, only the most popular. Bart Starr, bitches!!!!

9. uberchink

uberchink New Member

even bart starr would admit that favre is much better than him

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Thompson made the right move. Rodgers was a QB they had a lot of money in and thought could be a very good quarterback.

I know Favre is good. But he has a very good supporting cast around him. He's played very well, but I don't think it's a stretch to say Rodgers has played almost as well, if not equally.

At some point, you have to find out what your quarterback is. When the Jets had Chad Pennington, part of the problem with his $64 million contract was the fact that they had such a small track record to base it on. He sat his first two years on the bench. Then when Vinny got "hurt" in 2002, he was a star in 12 games. In 2003, he got hurt, and he took a step back, but he was still fairly good, and young.

With Rodgers, the Packers have a similar problem, except worse. He sat THREE years on the bench. Even with Favre gone, they had one year to decide what kind of QB he was.

But they already kind of knew. Look at the quotes from the players in the preseason. Everyone highly praises Rodgers. They were so confident in him they gave him an extension that quickly.

Now he could easily regress like Pennington did the next year or get hurt. Injuries have been a problem for Rodgers, and I'm not saying the extension was the wisest move in the world because there's still a decent amount of risk in the kid.

But that's more because he spent three years sitting on the bench than anything else.

And that's not to say the Jets made a bad move on Favre. They made a great move on Favre. They recognized what he could bring to the table, and he has exceeded most expectations, even if it is more with his attitude and energy than his numbers.

That's also not to say anything negative about Pennington either, that he brought negative energy. Favre is just different. He is a legend and it rubs off on teammates like nothing I've ever seen.

11. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

You see my point, though. Brett Favre as the best QB or player in the history of the NFL or the Packers? There's no way he wins the title for the league and as far as the Packers go, I think there's been enough athletes going through Green Bay in it's history to give Brett a run. Reggie White, Bart Starr...etc. He cannot be the clear-cut best when he leads the league(career) in ints.

12. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

Tunnel vision is hurting you here. Why even comment when you have no clue?

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The Packer fans would know better than us, Sir.

14. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

The Brett Farve Drama was coming one way or another! Whether it was the Jets or another team. Thomson and The Packers were looking to Brett to retire and walk away . which is why they signed Rodgers to a large contract before Brett was to either walk away or go to another team . I mean they offered him 20 million to just go away and that wasn't what Brett wanted to do. The fact Brett came here to me is just poetic and will go down in history as one of the best trades ever!

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

so after brett wins us 2 SB's in a row, leave it to tanny to get FIVE first round pics from the vikings!!!!

16. greenwhite&nogold

Most Packer fans would say that Brett Favre is the greatest Packer player ever, above Starr, above White. There are polls out there that prove this. Have you even been to Wisconsin?

17. k0kes

k0kes New Member

This is just laughable. Sure, Starr is debatable. But you honestly think that Reggie White is going to go down as a bigger player in Packer history? And who in the HELL are your etc's. Please oh please elaborate. This is just plain lunacy. Reggie White, lol. HAHA! You even put Reggie White before Starr. ROFL, my sides hurt :)

#17 k0kes, Nov 29, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  18. 4transplant4

4transplant4 New Member

Then tell me...If Brett Favre's not the best, exactly who is?!?

19. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Thats way to biased lol.

20. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

Rodgers didn't get a big contract until a couple weeks ago.