If You Were Bill Cowher...

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by JCotchrocket, Nov 27, 2008.

?

If you were Bill Cowher, which team would you coach next year?

1. Cinncinnati

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  2. Cleveland

37 vote(s)
    71.2%
  3. Detroit

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Which absolutely pitiful NFL franchise would you want to come back and coach next year?

Cincinnati Bengals

The upside is that Carson Palmer once had the potential to be one of the greatest quarterbacks ever. The sheer awfulness of that team might have totally ruined him, though. TJ Houshmandzadeh is a good player and it seems to me a Cowher-type guy. Guaranteed a top-five draft pick.

The downside is that with the exception of Keith Rivers and Leon Hall, the defense has to be rebuilt from scratch. Also, Cincy botched what would have been a terrific trade by holding on to a washed up Chad Johnson. They'd be lucky to get a conditional 4th rounder for him now. The O-Line is swiss cheese, there is no running back and the team is stocked with criminals. Judging by how the organization has screwed Marvin Lewis, Cowher would probably have no say in personnel decisions.

Cleveland Browns

The upside is that this team seems like a it's a few players away from contention. Solid O-line, star wide receiver, and a young quarterback to develop ala Big Ben. With Savage and Crennel likely taking a hike together, Cowher would possibly get full personnel control. He could ship Winslow and Anderson and pick up whoever he wanted.

Downside is, he's working with Romeo Crennel's players. Who LOVE Romeo Crennel. I'm not saying they wouldn't respect Cowher, but transitions are difficult. Cowher loves running the ball, something he won't be able to do for too long with Jamal Lewis. And if Quinn busts, Cowher does as well.

Detroit Lions

Upside? Ha, ha, ha.

But seriously, there is significant upside to this scenario. He'd probably get some significant control over personnel decisions now that Millen is gone. He's GUARANTEED the first pick of the draft (for a QB) another first rounder from Williams (for a left tackle) and a slew of other picks to overhaul the defense. Kevin Smith looks like a good player on a shitty team. Calvin Johnson looks like that beast kid who had to play on the Li'l Giants.

Downside? Come on.

2. IATA

IATA Trolls

Need a 4th option: Stay Retired. Wait for ideal situation.

Which is exactly what he will do. He is not going to tarnish his reputation and return after an ideal ending to coach a team with little to no chance of a ressurection.

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

How about: None of them?

4. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

Carson Palmer hasn't been the same since the knee injury in the playoffs a few years back. I doubt at this point he ever returns to form.

5. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Id shave my head.............:rofl:

6. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

wait for a better opportunity.

7. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

watching the pregame show the last few weeks i think he really wishes he was coaching the jets this year. that being said i dont think he would take any of those jobs. he isn't gonna come into a mess he is going to want to take over a team that is on its way and needs a few final pieces and some good coaching.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If he was going to come back with one of those three it'd be the Browns, but as others have pointed out all of the choices are kill me now or kill me later propositions.

He'll wait until Carolina comes open in a few years and try there. Or maybe Philadelphia next season.

9. e-x

e-x New Member

the real issue for him seems to be running game and pass protection, both are really inconsistant

that team is a mess in general, i still think palmer can be an elite QB

hard to stay healthy when you get hammered by the defense everytime you're in there, of coarse if he needs surgery on his elbow he'll still be a way off ... i believe delhomme had the same surgery last year and he seems to be doing ok

#9 e-x, Nov 27, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  10. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

He will stay retired for a few more years imo

11. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Wait for Paterno to retire.

12. rillo

rillo New Member

Yuck, stay retired....

13. Quack

Quack New Member

I know this will remind everyone of what happens whenever there is a new free agent, but . . .

DC next season.

14. Breezeman

Breezeman New Member

in my opinion cleveland has the best chance to be really competetive...

15. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Cleveland would actually be a good place for him. That team has just underperformed this season. They are really talented.

16. IATA

IATA Trolls

Oh ya, that defense is just under-performing. Same as that Oline.

17. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

Ouch...

Other: Punch yourself in the face

That'd be a pretty good option =)

18. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

If I were Cowher, I'd take the Detroit job.

With Millen gone you could negotiate a contract to be GM + HC. That gives you total control over personnel. You've got a great draft coming with the top pick and an extra 1st. And the team has nowhere to go but up. If everything goes wrong you can just say "the job was an impossible task". And if you win, you're a god. It's a "can't lose" situation. Plus they'd pay you the stars and the moon to take the job.

Also I'd want to avoid the AFC. It would be too weird playing Pittsburgh twice a year.

19. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

if i were bill cowher i take the DC position with the jets next year lol

20. JetsLookingforDWare

Palmer threw 28 TDs the next season. The Bengals running game, WRs, and O-line have all fallen off...that has more to do with Palmer's struggles than his past injury IMO.