The Jets have to turn the corner on Thursday

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by xxedge72x, Nov 9, 2008.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

For our third year now we've been watching "Manginiball" and up until recently Mangini has gotten a pass for being new and for having to reshape the team in his image...

Well, the team is now set.

We have a legend QB, a sick running corps, a capable WR corps that has a mix of speed and toughness, tight ends who can catch the ball, and an offensive line loaded with first round picks who are capable of doing the job at a very high level.

We have a real NT who sheds double and triple teams like they are omelets, we have DEs who can stuff the run AND rush the passer, we have linebackers who control their gaps, we have corners that can shut down receivers, and safeties who can ball hawk.

At some point in every successful NFL franchise, a team has to turn the corner, stop being good and become great. That time is now for the Jets.

The Jets have allowed New England to reign for too long as the kings of the AFC East. Even without their future hall of fame QB, we couldn't stop them earlier this year. Still, Favre and the rest of our new acquisitions were still catching up and getting up to speed with the system, while developing chemistry.

Now, for two straight weeks the Jets have looked like a team that has the chemistry, has the talent, and has the will to win. The Jets look like a team that can compete for a championship. The Jets look like the team that many of us envisioned after our great offseason.

If Mangini wants to shed his criticism, and rise to the next level of evolution as a coach, and bring the Jets to the next level as a football team... then his time is up... there is no more waiting... there is no more developing the team, or learning the system...

If the Jets are going to make a real push to be one of the NFL's elite teams and compete for a Super Bowl and a Lombardi Trophy, then they need to defeat their arch-nemesis on Thursday... they need to shatter that glass ceiling.

Ladies and Gentlemen... we MIGHT be watching the start of something great... and if it really will be great... if it really will be something special, something that we will look on with the fondness of 1998...

IT STARTS RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW!!!!

Beat New England, and take over the AFC East!!

2. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I can barely remember a time when the Pats did not dominate the AFC East. Now is our chance to take over. Let's fucking get this done!

3. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

thanks for jinxing us asshole!!!

lol.....i agree, we are ready to become elite

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If only we came to play in the NE and OAK games.

5. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

I'm very concerned about the extremely short week. NE is still a very good team, mostly because how brilliant of a coach Billichick is.

With that said, if we can run the football like we did today, against the Pats, then we look real good going into the Tennessee game.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Is it me or is it a short week for them too? Heck, we have all the momentum in the world, who cares about time to prepare. Its not like we don't know who we are playing. We have seen them before, many times.

7. JetsLookingforDWare

I still won't let go of the idea that penalties were the #1 reason we lost to the Pats in week 2.

We've played 7 games since, won 5 of them, and looked better in each win (for the most part).

They'll play us tough, but I think we're the better team and it'll show on Thursday.

I'm fuckin...excited for this game Thursday. Imma be fuuuuuuuuuucked up.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The blood must be on the lips of the Jets the whole game. They didn't play like they wanted it more in week 2... this is the game to show that they are a team that has to be dealt with as you would the Titans or Steelers.

Get the win, and have 10 days for Tennessee... the mindset of "no one can fuck with us, i will drink your blood" starts now and doesn't end until someone knocks you off.

I wanted this team to be like this all season, and all the criticisms are being answered that i bitched about. now they have the chance to convince everyone that they are for real.... lets go.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

i think the Pats were at a disadvantage with playing two division opponents in 4 days than the Jets are playing a shit practice team and then the Pats.

we got to sit starters, they didn't. I think that could be a huge factor in the 4th qtr on thursday.

10. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

the offensive line seems to really be coming together the last few weeks...if we control the line of scrimmage and put together some nice 5 minute plus drives that result in points we can win....we get into a throw first mentality and farve gets sloppy we are in trouble. I think the coaching staff finally sees that we can run the ball, mix in solid passes, play action, and we can march down the field.

11. CYensePHIction

Amen, if we don't win on Thursday it will be a huge letdown, back to the disrespect and second-rate comments...

12. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

the only troubling thing i saw today was favre threw two balls that should have been easy picks. the pats wont drop those balls. i can't believe that favre is the most worrisome part of this team to me at this point in the year. when a hof qb is the biggest problem the team must be playing very well.

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If the Jets utilize Thomas Jones as the primary threat in this game it will minimize the risk of Favre throwing those bad passes. He did throw two bad ones today but for the most part he had time to make his decisions since the opposing defense was (miserably failing at) trying to stop the run.

14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

lets not forget we lost to the raiders and almost to the cheifs.

this game will not be an easy game as new england is still a tough team to beat. heck they are right there with us.

we SHOULD win this game but i think we need to wait a little bit of time before we start calling ourselves elite. one game at a time.

15. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Does anybody know what happened to Mangold today? Back spasms?

Our "emergency center" didn't look so hot snapping to Favre from the Shotgun.

16. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Just how good has our team looked from the shotgun? This team's strength is running and passing off of play action.

17. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

If not now, when?

This Thursday is as close to a must-win as you can get without actually being a must-win.

Scratch that. It IS a must-win. Maybe not from a numbers perspective, but from a metal standpoint, they have to take this game.

18. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I agree. And if they had stuck with such a plan against the Raiders.....

ah, never mind. Spilt milk.

Get it done Jets!

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Mangold was back in the game in the 4th Q.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Absolutely agree Tone! This game is as much a "statement" game as any the Jets have played under either Mangini OR Edwards. I think even moreso given the talent infusion. Mangini and this team had better be ready to play and I think they will be.

Have no doubt though, Belichek knows this isn't the same Jets team he saw earlier this year. Cassel looks alot more comfortable managing the game so, this will be perhaps one of the best games played this year in the league.