Trading up for Reggie Bush

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by QBKILLER94, Apr 12, 2006.

1. McNazTee

McNazTee New Member

my bad parafly, your sig even says to take Williams, WE AGREE MEIN

2. QBKILLER94

QBKILLER94 New Member

I disagree with you on Bush's ability to carry the load. I think he'll be fine. If anything he has less wear on his tires thanks to Lendale White taking a lot of carries off his hands at USC.

I agree with your other points. We need offensive lineman badly. Luckily this is a good draft for offensive lineman. We should be able to get at least two servicable players for the line in the first five rounds of the draft.

The loss of J. Abraham was huge. But the Jets are switching to a 3-4 this year. Our front three will likely be S. Ellis and K. Von Ohoffen at the DE's and D. Robertson at the NT spot. We don't need DE that badly. We'll need another pass rushing LB to go with Vilma, Barton, Hobson and Mark Brown. We need to generate a pass rush with our LB's to help out the secondary.
    I'd love to have Mario Williams, but we could probably get away with not drafting a defensive end this year.

#22 QBKILLER94, Apr 12, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  3. McNazTee

McNazTee New Member

QBKilla - makes a lot of sense. I was NOT aware of the switch to 3 - 4 and I'm happy with those DEs and DT... since you need HAWG type DEs in the 3 - 4. So I guess I want an OLB... not sure who is there at our pick though. I too don't want Leinhart... O lineman, Da'Brick??? guess I'd lean that way then, thanks for the info.

4. parafly

parafly New Member

It's all good.

My point was just that Herm is no longer the guy in charge here, so I don't think we need to worry about over-using our older players.

Would I love to have Bush and do I think he will be a superstar in the NFL? Yes.

But that doesn't mean he is a good fit for our team in its current state. We need hard working overachievers and depth at this point. Trading away our valuable picks would be a mistake.

5. McNazTee

McNazTee New Member

could Williams, this super stud fast DE, play OLB? just a thought... but in the 3 - 4 your better off with a big OLB, willie McG style, even if I HATE the Pats, he made that system work so well...

6. QBKILLER94

QBKILLER94 New Member

seven picks in four rounds

The Jets have seven picks in the top four rounds (2 first rounders, one second rounder, 2 third rounders and 2 fourth rounders). They have a lot of picks to work with. If the Jets trade two first rounders and next years second rounder for Bush, then they'd still have a lot of picks left in the top four rounds to fill holes. I agree the price is steep, but it just might be worth it.

Either way, I think its a win-win situation. Stay put and draft quantity or trade up for the draft's best player.

The only disaster would be if Tannenbaum botches the picks or trades up for a bad player. I'll have my Mike Tannenbaum voodoo doll ready if that's the case.

7. McNazTee

McNazTee New Member

I'll be looking for a heart attack on draft day then... hA HA AHAAA

8. QBKILLER94

QBKILLER94 New Member

Mario Williams

Good question McNazTee. I hadn't thought of that. The Willie McGinest example is a good one. Williams would be great against the run on the outside and would put more heat on the QB. I'm not sure how good M. Williams would be in coverage, but he wouldn't be covering wideouts. Just an occasional tight ends or running back in the flat like Julius Peppers sometimes does for Carolina. Pepper's has had a few nice INT's doing it too. Very interesting. Check out the Scouts Inc. profile of Mario Williams from ESPN Insider.

Mario Williams
    DE: (6'7", 295 lbs, 4.73 40-yard dash): NC STATE
    Scouts Grade: 98

Strengths: Possesses a rare combination of size, athletic ability and speed. Is tall and well-built. Massive wingspan with long arms and big hands. Prototypical looking DE but with exceptional natural athleticism. He flashes rare playmaking skills when he gives good effort and plays with solid technique. His upside is outstanding. He shows very good initial quickness for his size. Is able to beat most OT's with his first step. Has a powerful upper body and shows the potential to develop a wide array of effective pass rush moves. He possesses the top end speed and body control to consistently turn the corner as a perimeter pass rusher. He is a smooth, fluid athlete with outstanding COD skills for his size. Is extremely mobile and shows the ability to consistently stay off of blocks and make plays in pursuit vs. the run. He shows good speed when chasing and makes a lot of plays from behind. Is a decent open-field tackler. Shows a natural nose for the ball and generates a lot of big plays when he's in the vicinity. Effort, technique and bulk are areas of concern, but he has made progress in all three over the course of his three seasons at N.C. State. Is a young prospect that only turned 21 years old on Jan. 31st, 2006.

Weaknesses: Technique is still unpolished. He has a tendency to play too high at times. Runs around too many blocks and takes himself out of position at times, as a result. He needs to do a better job of using his long arms and hands to keep separation from blockers. He takes too long to disengage from blocks and will get frustrated by the double team too often. His motor runs hot-and-cold. He played with more intensity during the second-half of his junior season but still took far too many plays off throughout 2005.

Overall: Williams graduated high school a semester early in order to enroll at N.C. State for the 2003 spring semester. He wound up earning a fulltime starting job at DE as a freshman in 2003, starting all 13 games and finishing with 56 total tackles, including 13 tackles for loss and five sacks. Williams earned first-team All-ACC honors as a sophomore in 2004, when he notched 57 tackles, 15 TFL and six sacks. As a junior in 2005, Williams once again earned first-team All-ACC honors by finishing with 62 total tackles, 24 TFL, 14.5 sacks, two broken up passes, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery in 12 games played. Williams is a prototypical looking defensive end prospect with outstanding athletic ability and very good speed for his size. A playmaker versus the run and pass, Williams came on strong during the second half of his junior season and elected to forgo his final season of collegiate eligibility in order to enter the 2006 NFL draft, as a result. He is far from polished and will need to improve his consistency in terms of effort in order to maximize his outstanding physical skills in the NFL. But simply put; Williams possesses more upside than any defensive lineman in this class. Williams' strong showing at the combine (ran the 40-yard dash in 4.66 seconds, posted the second-best vertical jump (40 ½") of the defensive linemen and also showed great body control and agility during individual position drills) solidified his place among the elite prospects in the 2006 class. We expect Williams to come off the board between picks No. 5-10 in the upcoming draft.

9. parafly

parafly New Member

It will take more than our 2 first rounders and next year's 2nd rounder to trade up for Bush. It would be more like our 2 first rounders, our second rounder, and next year's first rounder....if not more...

I find it very hard to believe that our team can successfully rebuild after giving away so many valuable picks.

10. Penny2Moss

Penny2Moss New Member

reggie bush is not as good as people think, that is all

11. LWC611

LWC611 Member

Who is going to block for the RB's on the roster much less, Bush. We need O-line help in the worst way. However If I am the texans and I REALLY think Carr is my guy, I would try to trade the pick but if not I would take D'brick. If my memory serves me correctly, Carr got pounded last year, he probably needs blindside protection.

12. QBKILLER94

QBKILLER94 New Member

According to the pick value chart on www.nfldraftblitz.com, the top pick in the draft is worth 3000 pts. The Jets top three picks (4, 29 and 35 overall) in this draft are worth 2,990 pts. That's a match.

I'd like the Jets to keep their second rounder (#35) this year and trade next year's second instead. In any case, the Jets certainly wouldn't have to trade next year's first rounder too.

I think the Jets are in an enviable positon. They have a ton of picks and a lot of needs. The could go many ways in this draft.

On the other hand, the Texans are painted in a corner. They have to draft Bush first, even if RB isn't their biggest need. Too make matters worse, Texans fans are clamoring for them to draft Vince Young. They have a big PR battle ahead of them. Draft Bush and they have a RB controversy with Davis on the roster. Passing on V. Young is going to piss off the Texans' fans. Houston might be happy to have the Jets two first rounders this year and an extra second rounder next year. Then they could address several needs.

13. parafly

parafly New Member

I see your logic here, but I don't think it would be a wise move for the Jets to trade away valuable picks. The draft value chart is nice, but I seriously doubt that the Texans would just go by whatever the chart says. The Texans realize that they have a potential golden gem, and they will demand alot more than what you are suggesting. I just can't see the Texans trading away Bush for 2 picks this year, and one pick next year.

14. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

This is great. So many people clamoring for a guy to come in here to run the ball, yet every time our offense runs the ball everyone complains. It's been that way for years.

Anyway, I still believe Bush is overrated. I still believe he will be a flash in the pan. I don't believe he will have the durability to be a full time RB in the NFL, and for people to say he would be a great compliment to Houston is just classic! Who is Larry Johnson's compliment? Who was Holmes compliment before him? Who has been Faulk's compliment? Edgerrin James compliment? Tiki Barber's? Shaun Alexander's? Elite RBs don't need a compliment. They change games themselves.

Now let's see, we can trade away the farm to grab Bush, giving us a potentially great RB, who has yet to prove himself outside of the best offense in the country, as well as a guy who has yet to prove he can be a full-time back in the pros. All this while already carrying 3 RBs. Curtis will play this year, whether you agree with it or not. Blaylock will play this year, whether you like it or not. Houston should play this year, if for no other reason than we need to see if he has the talent his drafting warranted.

Or we could draft Mario, get a proven talent at DE to replace the void left by Abe. (Some people don't seem to get it. Our D was anchored by Abe, Vilma, and Law last year. Without those three, we would have been even worse.) Not only do we replace Abe with a player who is regarded as at least as talented, we get a player who is taller, faster, and has more mass. That is the definition of upgrade.

#34 AlioTheFool, Apr 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2005