We should NOT replace Abe with our #4

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Al Dorow, Apr 12, 2006.

1. parafly

parafly New Member

This thread has horrible logic to it. You draft according to your present situation, not according to a trade you made a few months ago.

How do Mario Williams and our 4th pick have anything to do John Abraham? The bottom line is that we had a problem / distraction on our team, and we traded it away for the best deal we could find.

The transaction is now in the past. Why should it affect our #4 pick in any way? You must draft with respect to the future of your team, not the past!

2. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Its simple. Mario Williams surpasses John Abraham in talent, ability, and potential. He would be a considerable upgrade over Abraham, and could be a mainstay in the Pro Bowl for years to come.

3. MyFavoriteMartian28

No rationale at all. We have a need at DE, its up to us to determine how to fill that need through the draft based upon the grades of the players available, the depth at the position, etc.

If we have Mario graded 15 pts higher than the DEs that will be available at pick 29, and Ferguson graded 5 pts higher than the OTs that will be available at pick 29... then we take Mario and get our OT at pick 29.

4. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

In a 3-4 Manny Lawson would play Linebacker...

We're talking Defensive End here.....

And is our New Scheme anything like the Patriots Scheme where Richard Seymour is the heart and sole of the defense and plays DE, the role Mario Williams would fill?

5. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

People just can't grasp this - i'm starting to think the average age thread on this board is quite telling - it's like we're in a time warp and people are reading draft stuff for the 1st or 2nd time in their lives.

6. nyjballandbeer51

nyjballandbeer51 New Member

Agreed, About Time Someone Said It

7. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

that's an interesting way to look at it

No rationale?!?!?! I don't agree with what Al said BUT if he did anything right it was in the fact that he gave his reasons for why he felt the way he did about not using the no.4 pick. THAT WAS HIS RATIONALE. :breakdance: funny how many folks on this board bash other posts but they themselves don't know what they're talking about.

Back to the main point. I see how you feel that way about the draft, but the logic behind building a good team doesn't involve (for good reason) trying to use the picks we gain from a trade in replacing the person that was traded. There are many other variables at work here (Age, Overall Draft Str., Need, BPA, Salary, Contribution to present and future schemes...etc.) and to say 'we traded our DE for no.29--->so w/ no.29 we replace our DE' is VERY basic and doesn't make for a good draft strategy.

Tangini will use all our draft picks to get the best guy for this team's future. No need overthinking the situation b/c we traded abe for no.29..

Not trying to bash your post, merely trying to give you some reasons why you shouldn't be disappointed on draft day just b/c we ignored DE at no.29.

8. xVILMA51x

xVILMA51x New Member

The two biggest differences between Abe and Mario, right away, that will benefit our team is simply:

1) Mario would not be complaining, and asking to be traded. He will be playing hard 100% of the time.

2) Mario would cost us like $3-$4 million (maybe more?) less per year against the salary cap.

Thats why it would not be a wash between Abe and Mario.

9. McNazTee

McNazTee New Member

one reason Williams would be a better fit than Abe... hummm, he wants to play for the Jets...

10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I think we can replace Abe's pass rushing ability by drafting Manny Lawson...he could play some OLB and rush the passer.

11. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

Worst draft.. Williams at number four to replace Abraham and Mangold at number 29 to replace Mawae. Downgrade at both positions.

12. McNazTee

McNazTee New Member

why are they a downgrade? b/c they aren't 35 years old??? come on, we had to get younger... that is better

13. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Man...some day I hope to be as good of a darksider as you. Thats wishful thinking on my part though.

Mawae is 35 and wouldn't take a pay cut to stick.

John Abraham DIDNT WANT TO BE A JET!

They are BOTH improvements in my eyes...whether they both turn out that way has yet to be seen.

14. parafly

parafly New Member

Why would you say that? Both players are regarded as the top players in the draft at their respective positions. Many people see a bright future for both.

15. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

My God you are dark. You cut yourself don't you?

16. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

?????? Wow, is all I can say to this... Wow...:drunk:

17. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

LOL :shit: Lovely how guys are downgrades w/o playing a snap in the NFL. You meet all sorts of folks on this board....

18. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

I love intelligent posters

19. nyjballandbeer51

nyjballandbeer51 New Member

you kinda have to play a snap in the nfl before someone is an upgrade also dude

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Geting rid of Mawae was an instant upgrade to the team whether we replaced him or not since he no longer is a quality NFL player. Abe is a different story. He still can play at a high level in the NFL.