Trading up for Reggie Bush

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by QBKILLER94, Apr 12, 2006.

1. QBKILLER94

QBKILLER94 New Member

The Jets should stand pat with their picks and draft the best players available. However, if the Jets do trade up it should be to the top spot to get Reggie Bush, not Matt Leinart. Chew on that for a moment.

Bush is hands down the most talented player in this draft. He's been compared to Marshall Faulk, Ladainlian Tomlinson and Gayle Sayers. He's a game breaker on offense and special teams.

The Houston Texans just gave starting tailback Dominick Davis a longterm contract. They have running backs Davis (age 25) and Vernand Morency (age 26) already on their roster. They have one of the league's top kick and punt returners Jerome Mathis (age 23) on their roster too. Drafting Bush does not make a whole lot of sense for Houston.

The Texans need to beef up their offensive and defensive lines. They have long struggled to protect David Carr, giving up 68 sacks last year. Houston traded to get WR Eric Moulds from Buffalo. Now they have Carr at QB, Davis at RB and Andre Johnson and Moulds at WR. They need to protect Carr and open up holes for the running game to get this offense on track. Drafting Reggie Bush won't help them. Drafting D'Brickishaw Ferguson will.

The Texans defense recorded 37 sacks last year with no player registering more than seven. Drafting DE Mario Williams or LB A.J. Hawk would really give Houston's Defense a boost. The less I hear about the Texans trading down, the more I'm inclined to think they want to.

Now, how would drafting Reggie Bush help the Jets? First off, they have no gamebreakers on offense right now. Curtis Martin has gotten old, L. Coles is solid but not spectacular, J. McCairens is average at best and the QB position is in limbo. Secondly, the Jets special teams took a major step back last season after the trade of S. Moss to Washington. How many punts did Justin Miller fumble? The kid was good at kickoff returns, but he couldn't field a punt to save his life. Reggie Bush would be a perfect fit for the Jets. He's give them a home run threat on every play and he'd energize the special teams.

The cost to get Bush would be steep. According to the NFL draft value chart used by NFLdraftblitz.com, the top pick in the draft is worth 3,000 pts. The Jets top three picks (4, 29 and 35) add up to 2,990 pts. Instead, the Jets could package their two first rounders this year and next year's second rounder. That's the way I'd go. Take Bush with the top pick and then go offensive line with the second round pick. The Jets have two 3rd rounders thanks to a compensatory pick. They could go QB and Center with those picks. (How about a draft of 1. RB R. Bush, 35. Tackle Marcus McNeil, 71. QB Charlie Whitehurst, 97. Center Greg Eslinger?)

As I said in the beginning, I think the Jets should stay put and draft the best available player rather than trade up for a QB. But if they are going to trade up, it should be for the draft's best player _ Reggie Bush.

#1 QBKILLER94, Apr 12, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  2. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I wouldn't mind us going after bush. He is that good.

3. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

i agree completely, you can not fault the team for attempting to take one of the best playmakers to come out in 10+years....trading up for lineart would be a bad move imo just because i don't think we should be giving up another first rounder for a qb with past shoulder problems and an average-weak arm by nfl standards

i would take lineart if he fell to 4, but if we're trading up, might as well be for the best player

4. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

No freaking way. If the Jets traded like that to draft Reggie Bush, I would never watch them again.

We already brought in a guy to energize special teams, it's no longer a need position.

We have 3 RBs on the roster, one is a 1st ballot HOFer, one just couldn't beat out Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson for the starting job, and one was originally scouted as a first round talent with a thyroid problem. The need is not critical at the position.

Furthermore, Reggie Bush is not the "sure thing" he is being billed as. The guy has yet to show he can run 20 times in a game. That stamina is critical to a NFL RB. He is, in my opinion, BY FAR, the biggest risk I have ever seen in a NFL draft.

Besides, why would we want to sacrifice two first rounders for any one player? Right now, we are projected to acquire three first round caliber guys, including our high second round pick. To give that up is insane. To give that up for a guy who had one hell of a supporting cast is ludicrous.

5. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Not gonna happen... Bush is going to be Texan. He helps them immensly, and just because they gave Davis a long term deal does not preclude them from taking a back like Bush. The Texans would be fools to Trade the pick. They can address OLine with any pick after the # 1 over all, ina deep deep Oline draft. Don't expect to hear anything other than "With the first pick in NFL draft 2006, the Houston Texans Select, Reggie Bush running back USC"

Ellis

6. ColezDeep!

ColezDeep! New Member

I wouldn't mind that at all, Bush and Houston would be a great combo. But what about Martin and Blaylock? Are we going to carry four backs? What about the O-Line we need to address so badly? There are prospects in the second and third round that can be very good.
    Personally, we have so many options we really can't go wrong this draft....hopefully

7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

i'm sorry but have you seen him play? some of the things he does are just plain nasty, and he is in ridiculous shape as well(25 reps on the bench and jacked)....look at pictures from the usc pro day....the guy is an f'n beast, and i can't see how he should be worried about as having durability or stamina concerns

to say he is the biggest risk in the nfl draft ever is ridiculous.... hell vince young, jay cutler, and lendale (just gettin by) white are more likely to bust imo, and that's just in this year's draft

maybe he won't be everything that people say he will be, but this guy is one of the biggest playmakers i have ever seen coming out of college in years

8. QBKILLER94

QBKILLER94 New Member

I understand the Jets already have three RB's on the roster. But all three have warts. I love Curtis Martin, but the fact remains that he isn't as good as he was two seasons ago when our o-line was really good. He needs big holes to be effective this year and I don't see that happening no matter who we draft. D. Blaylock is smaller than R. Bush. He's a scat back. There's a reason he wasn't retained by KC. He's a backup. Of the three backs the Jets have, I think C. Houston has the most to offer. He's young and runs hard. He'd be a great compliment to Bush. The Jets would probably cut Blalock if they got Bush. He wasn't signed for much money and the cap hit would be minimal.

The biggest knock on Bush is that he didn't carry the ball more than 15-18 times a game. I think that has more to do with Lendale White's presence than a lack of stamina. Bush is built like L. Tomlinson and Tiki Barber. He's not enormous, but he's sturdy enough in my mind to carry the ball 25 times a game or more. Besides, he's also a threat catching the ball out of the back field. Remember how much better Marshall Faulk made the Rams?

9. ColezDeep!

ColezDeep! New Member

I really like his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield or when he gets in the slot.
    How many times have we seen LT catch a little flat pass out of the backfield and take it 50-60 yards upfield against us...the last back to do that for us is Lamont Jordan...and he's gone
    He would make any QB better

#9 ColezDeep!, Apr 12, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  10. beastindamiddle51

beastindamiddle51 New Member

i totally agree with Qbkiller94. bush is a playmaker and a game breaker that we really never had. im a strong fan of trading our picks to get to the number 1 spot to take him. either way we are going to take a RB on draft weekend so we will end up carrying 4 backs or let 1 go. but if we do get bush he will do absolutely nothing for our special teams. for the money and fact he would start is obtained, they will not put our reward for sacrificing 2 1st rd picks and starting RB on a punt return to get hurt. the guy averaged 8+ yards a carry and 222+ yards a game of ALL PURPOSE OFFENSE. stamina wont be a problem. it takes more to run longer in less carries than it does to gain 100+ yds on many. as far not getting more than 20 carries a game, its because he was always breaking runs of 20+ yds and eluding defenders side line to side line, the guy needs a breather. if he didnt have so many highlight reels he would of carried 20+ in college

11. parafly

parafly New Member

It would cost the Jets a tremendous amount of valuable picks to trade up for Reggie Bush. For a team that has so many holes and is clearly in a rebuilding stage, this would be an extremely reckless and dumb move IMO. Build the foundation to the house first, then put in the fancy furniture.

12. QBKILLER94

QBKILLER94 New Member

Bush just turned 21 in March. He should easily be able to put on another 5-10 pounds of muscle in the NFL. Check out how he stacks up against some current NFL running backs.

Reggie Bush - 5' 11", 201 lbs.
    (note: According to ESPN.com he's 5' 10 7/8" with his shoes off.)

Tiki Barber - 5' 10", 200 lbs.

Marshall Faulk - 5' 10", 211 lbs.

Ladainlian Tomlinson - 5' 10", 221 lbs.

Derrick Blalock - 5' 9", 205 lbs.
    (Note: The height and weight of the last four RB's comes from NFL.com.)

13. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Wow, Another "We can Get Bush" thread.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

We had a chance to give them Abe in the Deal along w/ Picks and now really have nothing to offer.
    Remember, getting Bush will cost more than Eli Fagging.

Everyone here would love Bush and Actually Herm Dicked us by going Full force and Beating Oak & Buff and now we sit a 4th team in a 3 Horse race. (JK)

We are NOT getting Bush!!!

14. McNazTee

McNazTee New Member

After the way we run Curtis Martin... we can't go get Bush... I just don't think he will last. I want Mario Williams or more help on D, if offense, offensive line

15. QBKILLER94

QBKILLER94 New Member

Well put Parafly. Like I said, I'd have no problem if the Jets keep all their picks and stay put. I just don't want to see them trade up for Leinart. He wouldn't be worth it. Bush, on the other hand, might be worth the cost.

16. hazmat

hazmat New Member

If you take an article from espn you should probably throw the source in there. I'm pretty sure I read this on espn somewhere....

17. parafly

parafly New Member

Breaking News!! Herm Edwards is no longer our coach. No need to worry about grinding our older players into the ground.

18. McNazTee

McNazTee New Member

ya, but bush has had 20+ carries in a game twice in his career... U just want Ramsey chucking it all around? and our D is set right? without John A? ya, we need help on D and O line always wins games.

(sorry new here, don't want to seem like a jerk, but I'm opinionated on this one)

oh and dreessen, that avatar is hysterical

19. QBKILLER94

QBKILLER94 New Member

I'm flattered that you think I ripped off ESPN. However, these are my own thoughts. Take them as you will, but don't fault me for writing well. :)

20. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

:lol: well said....but Martin's treads are almost done, and they don't make his tires anymore.
    He will have a new Role.