To Those Still Upset at Favre

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by packerbacker1234, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

At no time have I said I want Pennington over Favre, which you have accused me of. At no time have I said that Pennington is as good as Favre (on the whole). I was simply pointing out the irony (look it up in the dictionary) as to your praising Favre for games that are nearly identical to those of Pennington, and your calling other posters out for praising Pennington. L2R junior. Maybe I need to actually be an idiot to speak on your level though. Maybe then you would get it.

2. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

hahahahah that post you had did seem alot like you were comparing pennington to favre and that you think we would be better off or no different with Pennington. I mean it's alright, some people don't know what they write...your one of them...hahaha.

P.S: Nice signature man! you sure don't want Pennington over Favre hahahahahahhahahaha

3. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Awww, everybody gets along now.

4. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

Only a super bowl win will change some peoples' minds, and even if that were to happen those people will credit the defense and the running game for the win.......as if other super bowl champions never have those attributes. I think the idea that its a team game and it takes great play from everyone is overlooked quite a bit.
    Brett could have thrown for 350 and 3 TDs today and it still might not have been enough to win if Jenkins wasn't stuffing the middle and bringing pressure.

5. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

Maybe in the final stat line they seem identical to what Pennignton did, but it was clearly not identical into what happened on the field. I don't see Chad makign the necessary throws on the last 8 minute Drive, nor bouncing back from a pick 6 late in the game a week ago to toss a GW TD pass either.

Stat lines can look similar, impact on the game in crucial moments is a different story. Wasn't a great day for favre, but not horrible. He did what he needed to do.

6. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

Thank you!!! finally!!! This is what I was trying to explain...Favre is better than pennington on field jsut not on stats. No one fucking seems to get that. Thank you for clearing that up for everyone.

7. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

You are right to some degree, stats do not tell the whole story, but saying that Pennington isn't capable of doing what got done today for us with Buffalo is pretty much laughable. He's done it before... he's doing it for the Dolphins this year. He's a solid QB, but he is less clutch than Favre. Of course he doesn't often dig the holes Favre has to throw out of either.

But like I have said so many damn times before... I'm not necessarily being critical of Favre, I completely understand that he has had some stinker games. The issue I have is people being overly critical of Penny, especially when the play hasn't been much different, and then saying how wonderful Favre is.

I think when the season is said and done we will have done better with Favre... I'm just waiting to see him be the QB I have always remembered him being.

8. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

I understand where you are coming from now. I understand you don't support penny now, but the play has been different. Think about it. When you have favre under center, the defenses are more concerned about him than the run game. That is why our run game is so successful, because he can chuck it down field. Now the reason for penny's success in miami is because of that 1 2 punch behind him. Defenses are banking more on the run thus having pennington to play action very well and throw down field. If Pennington was here in NY, it would be the same old pennington from last year and we would be worse. This is what I'm trying to explain to people. That with favre, everything on our offense has improved compared to what if pennington was under center.

9. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by packerbacker1234
    Maybe in the final stat line they seem identical to what Pennignton did, but it was clearly not identical into what happened on the field. I don't see Chad makign the necessary throws on the last 8 minute Drive, nor bouncing back from a pick 6 late in the game a week ago to toss a GW TD pass either.

Stat lines can look similar, impact on the game in crucial moments is a different story. Wasn't a great day for favre, but not horrible. He did what he needed to do.

I have to agree with Jetzz here. If you didn't see Pennington make the necessary throws on the last eight minute drive then you didn't watch today's game against the Broncos. After a fairly lackluster performance today he did lead his team on a eight minute TD drive to ice the game today. And at 7 for 10 (85 yards) he did it without the help of the Miami running game.

Actually, today's Jets and Miami game happened to be very similar. Favre threw his INT in the middle of the fourth and Pennington threw his near the end of the third. However, both teams won away games by a score of 26-17 and both were the beneficiary of returned INTs by their defense. Also, both teams did ice the game in the fourth with strong drives in the fourth quarter after the other team had brought the game to within one score.

Most people (even Chad fans) aren't saying that Chad is better than Favre. I don't agree with nyjunc that the Jets would definitely have had a better record with Chad (at this point in the season). I think the arguement can be made, but definitely not proven either way. However, I do believe that there are many here who have needlessly discounted Chad's performance over the years and this year with the Fins. I do find it funny that almost all of the attributes (except for the strong-arm) that the "pro-Favre" tout here are the same thing that most of the Fin fans this year are currently saying about Chad.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I get why the Pick 6s hurt. I saw them end games last year. But since Game Winning drives are genetic for Favre, I give him a big pass on the mistakes he makes.

As long as he is behind center, the game is always in reach.

The Jets are just too used to the pick 6 at this point. So psychologically anyone who throws one is the Devil. No matter what the track record or MO.

11. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see the stats on "pick 6s" over the past 5-10-15 years. I actually don't think that the Jets have experienced more than the average over the years. Sure, we can remember the killers, but every teams' fans can.

12. k0kes

k0kes New Member

Haven't heard from you junc,

We just have to laugh that after all our debating this week, they literally have almost identical games. Nothing spectacular, but both doing what they needed to do to get things done. Here's to many more civil arguments I'm sure. :beer: But at least for this week we get to bask in the glow of a VERY important victory! :)

13. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

HEY PEOPLE Favre has thrown balls up for grab 16 years before he joined the Jets so this should come to no surprise to any of us. The bottom line is we are winning...PERIOD

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

You were nuyts if you weren't worried about the Flowers pick as we lost the lead and only had a few mins to play. We had the lead yesterday and still had control before he led that outstanding drive to close it out.

There's no point in arguing w/ this guy. he brings nothing to a discussion and I don't think he will be here very long.

I am very happy w/ the win and happy overall w/ Brett's play yesterday, I didn't want to get into the Brett vs. Chad stuff again but if Chad is the QB he doesn't throw that boneheaded INT and we don't need that final drive.

Brett finally showed some progress again, the first time in over a month so I am happy and it was great to see that drive after his awful INT.

We are too used to it? Favre has more in 8 games this year than Chad had all of last yar, actually I think Favre is 1 behind Chad's total in his Jet career. I believe Chad had 4 as a Jet and Favre has 3 in 8 games so how were we used to it?

I'm happy, outside of the INT it was a great game but he capped it w/ that great time consuming drive to end it. I hope we see alot more of this type of play going forward.

I enjoyed our debating last week, I hope we don't have to have that particular one anymore b/c that will mean Favre is playing well and we are winning.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Then I guess I am one crazy mofo, because I wasn't worried one bit. I get who Favre is, I don't need to tirade on each pass and mistake like you do because I don't get it. I get it, therefore I smile and let it be. I was never this comfortable with any other QB behind center for the Jets since I've been watching them.

I'll let you get back to your soapbox.

16. nyjunc

:rolleyes: So i guess when you watched in the Championship Game last year w/ GB you weren't worried, you thought GB would win b/c you know who Brett Favre is? I guess you weren't worried against oak b/c you know who Brett favre is?

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Pick every game that he lost and I'll show you 5 more that he won.

18. nyjunc

But YOU don't get worried b/c you KNOW Brett Favre, that's what you told us so how did it work out in oakland? That was just such a silly quote, we had a few mins left and he gave an opponent the lead. I don't buy that you weren't worried at all. I'm not saying you were praying or bting your nails but Favre himself admitted he was nervous and he's the one in control.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I did not worry at all. I promise.

Because I get it.

Did Favre tie the game at the end of regulation in Oakland? Yes. We know the rest was all on the CS since the ball was taken out of his hands OT. Plus, who expected Janikowski to make a 57 yarder?

The argument ends here. This will be annoying bullshit from here on out.

You're never wrong junc, you're a genius. Long Live Chad.

I'm going to bed.

20. nyjunc

The result was on the CS? So when we score it's all Brett but when we don't it's on the CS?:rofl: he led us to 13 pts in 5 qtrs against Oakland but I'm glad you get it.

Who expected Janikowski to make a 57 yarder? The man has an amazing leg, it wasn't a shock that he hit it. We had THREE possessions in OT and couldn't even get into FG range but at least you get Favre.