Thoughts on Gholston, Harris, ILB position

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CatoTheElder, Oct 22, 2008.

1. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

Have you seen Russell's arm? He can flick a ball 45 yards as easily as I can flick it 10 yards. He's not off base saying his arm is strong.

2. dbatesman

dbatesman New Member

We haven't seen much of Gholston in coverage, although he did it a bit at OSU as the "Leo" DE, which is something of a DE/LB hybrid with some coverage responsibilities. I'm not sold on his coverage ability yet...one of the knocks on Gholston as a potential OLB was his stiff hips, and I've seen nothing to prove or disprove that notion yet. We could be playing with fire by putting him out there on an island, especially the way we've been getting burned by TEs and slot receivers.

To be honest, however, I'm more concerned about Gholston's inability to shed blocks. Right now his technique is crapola. He's bull-rushing every time and trying to bowl over the tackle. You can get away with that in college, even in the Big Ten, but not in the NFL. More disturbingly, he can't seem to disengage from blocks, meaning if he can't get around the tackle with his first step/move, he's effectively taken out of the play. I have seen some improvement in this area the last couple of weeks (Gholston has to lead the league in "almost-sacks"), but he's clearly not where he needs to be quite yet.

It's possible that he could flourish as a situational (pass-rushing) ILB, since he'd be going up against guards, who might have trouble matching his quickness and athleticism. But I worry about putting him in there too much--I'm having nightmare visions of Gholston getting stacked up and opposing RBs sprinting into the second level on every play.

But I definitely support shaking up the defense a bit and moving some people around--which might very well include Pace and/or Gholston kicking inside to ILB--in some packages, just to add another wrinkle for opposing QBs/OCs.

3. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

In my opinion, we are suffering from lousy slot CB and FS play on the pass defense.

We need to hold off on Gholston and give him time to learn his position. There's plenty of precedence that such transitions require more than a single season to achieve successfully.

I believe that we also need more pass rushing pressure to force quicker less-considered throws out of the opposing QBs.

We didn't get enough serious pressure on this Rookie Russell, in my opinion.

I would also like to take this opportunity to point out that the NYJs still suffer terribly from a serious lack of team SPEED.

I know that Drew Coleman can run pretty fast, but we don't get very much good out of it because his head can't keep up with his legs.

We need for David Barrett to play that slot lights out -- otherwise we're sucking ropes while the tight ends continue to kill us down the seam.

Safeties and Slots.

4. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Count me in as a Vilma lover. First off, our back up LBs suck and having him as a backup would have value. Secondly, he was our best LB in pass coverage and we could use him in passing situations. Like the second half of the Arizona game, just bring Vilma in for Barton and your pass coverage just got much better.

5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

The only problem I can see with Pace bumping inside is that Pace is 6'4" tall and extremely lanky for a 270lbs guy. That's going to leave his legs, specifically his knees, vulnerable to guards just diving at them as he tries to get into postion on the inside. Gholston, on the other hand, is stockier which plays more towards the ideal for an ILB. Pace probably has the football IQ and the skills to make it as an ILB but as far as physical archetypes go, Gholston is the better choice here.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

i'm not questioning his arm strength...i'm questioning Raiderjeaux's claim that Russell has the strongest arm "ever to play the game"...big difference, pal.

Because as far as i'm concerned...at this point in his career, Jamarcus Russell is the african-american version of Kyle Boller.....which doesn't colour me "impressed" in the least. :wink:

7. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

Be patient with joe, he's come a long way in a very short time. He might relapse a bit into the old joe every now and then, but I am happy to see him working towards becoming human.

8. JetsLookingforDWare

Culpepper worked with Moss and Carter early on. Russell worked with um...really well paid babies.

You'll see Russell's deep ball soon enough. He threw some good ones at LSU.

My comparison was loose anyway...they're very similar physically and thats really all you can compare...numbers will change with usage, system, and surrounding talent.

Agreed on that...but again...throwing to Moss and Carter probably eased Culpepper's nerves when it came to things like this. You gamble when you can, and when you have two WRs like that...you can probably gamble.

Thats good...should be better for his long term health.

Agreed...definitely. Time'll tell with that...but I hope/think he's smart enough to step it up with experience.

9. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

gholston doesnt shed blocks well..... wouldnt work right now he doesnt have the mind set to play inside... he would be the subject of more ridicule if we put him in the we just have to wait til next year and see if he learned anything

10. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Okay tell me what QBs(that have played in the NFl at anytime) that you would say have a stronger arm than Russell. You do know what arguably means- 1. susceptible to debate, challenge, or doubt; questionable:

That was the prevailing opinion of alot OF Nfl scouts that Jamarcus Russell has one of the strongest arms ever to play the game. Unlike me and you, those guys should know. Thats there job. There is no question there isn't a Qb today that possess a stronger arm than him. Not Boller, Cutler, Flacco or young Brett favre.

Now the conversation was just talking about arm strength, not where Russell is in his development right now. I don't know why you went away from the that discussion..

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

wtf jeaux, did you run out of retard pills?

12. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Why don't you post your opinion, what you don't agree with me on . So everyone can figure out your position. Make your case for why you feel the way you do.

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Okay..let's see if we can snuff this argument out quickly...because you annoy me.

I lump Jamarcus Russell into a group with guys like Jeff George, Kyle Boller, and Ryan Leaf. QBs that had cannons for arms...but have done absolutely NOTHING of merit in this league...unless you count "losing" as "doing something"....then you got me.....

Now..guys with cannons for arms that have done something in this league: Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Dan Fouts, John Elway, and your personal favourite Jeaux...Broadway Joe Namath.

i don't give a shit what you say...Jamarcus Russell is no better than the bums that i lumped him in with...because he hasn't done anything in this league at this point in time. And i know you'll consider this his "coming out party"...but just because Russell completed 2 passes in OT to set up Janikowski's FG...doesn't mean he's the next NFL MVP.

if you can't digest that for what it's worth....then you really don't have a grip on reality :jets:

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I wasn't disagreeing with you, it was more of a back handed compliment.

15. Gman

Gman New Member

russell was 17-30 for 203. elway????

16. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Did you or did you not say this. i'm not questioning his arm strength...i'm questioning Raiderjeaux's claim that Russell has the strongest arm "ever to play the game"...big difference, pal.

So what the heck are you talking about. Your changing the topic now.

Now tell me How many starts Jamarcus Russell has in the NFL. 1 last year + 6 this year = 7 starts. You do know Peyton manning threw something like 12 Interceptions in his first 4 games. Do you understand the point Im making with this stat. Colts should have cut that bum Peyton manning after his first year starting in the NFL. Right? Now show me one post where I claimed this last game, was Russell coming out party. With that said, DId Jamarcus Russell out perform that hall of famer Brett favre in this game?

BTw- Do you Know Joe Namath won Loss record as a pro? His Completion percentage? His Interception to TD ratio? You look at those stats and Im sorry there is no way they are hall of fame worthy.

#56 Raiderjoe, Oct 23, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

maybe you should start sniffin' what you're shoveling then.....because if you're not calling Russell "the strongest arm to ever play the game"...you're trying to justify his futility with only having 7 NFL starts....make up your mind, dumbass.

Oh by the way..Peyton Manning and Joe Namath have big fucking 'championship rings" on their fingers....all the shitty stats in the world that you throw out in your feeble arguments can't trump that. I don't give a shit if Favre throws 40 INTs this year...if the end result is a Super Bowl win for the Jets.

So do yourself a favour...and go get a clue.

Are you fucking kidding me?? you've been sucking Russell's fat hog since since long before i joined TGG...this doesn't just go back to last week's game... The whole board can attest to that. It's gotten to the point where I wish Russell would just fall off the face of the earth.

Wow...how fucking hard is it to understand what i told you. In lamens terms...i said that Russell DOES have a strong arm....what i disagreed with is the fact that YOU CLAIM Russell has the "strongest arm the NFL has ever seen"...which is fucking ludicrous. I really don't know if i can dumb this down for you any further.

18. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

Well also joe Peyton has had the same staff since he was a rookie. Jamarcus has already experienced a coaching change! Look at alex smith, he was suppose to beast, but went through 4 different O Coordinators in 4 years he's been in the league and now where is he? Ryan Leaf was horrible because he never really had a great team like Peyton had(remember, Marvin Harrison and Peyton were together from the start) and also went through coaching changes. I feel bad for Jamarcus because he has to deal with the force of Al Davis, who is a very stubborn man. I think Jamarcus has potential to be good, but the stuff that has happened to him might make him into a crappy qb

19. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

Didn't Jamarcuss Russell throw 75-80 yards on one knee? lol sorry but I think he's got one of the strongest or THE strongest arm in NFL history.

20. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

All Im going to say this guy choosing the wrong things to argue about with Russell. Anyone that wants to argue that Russell arm might be the strongest that ever played the game. Well Its not Raiderjeaux opinion (IM no Historian) but NFL scouts who have seen just about every Nfl QB. Those guys should know as they are getting paid for a reason.
    END OF ARGUEMENT- YOu lose.

NOw you want to argue if jamarcus Russell going to be a franchise QB. Thats an arguement that only time going to tell. Right now with inexperienced Russell, he is a Big reason, Raiders offense is struggling rfight Now. JMO Once Russell gets comfortable in offense and has better understanding of NFl defenses, I think were going to see that franchise QB. The Kid not satisfied with the money(big worry anytime you give a young Qb so much money) russell has the work ethnic and he wants to be the best.

All Im going to say just know what arguements to argue. Questioning if Russell arm might be the strongest that ever played is not one of them.