No Comments on Favre Rumors?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Long Time Jet Fan, Oct 20, 2008.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It's a little disturbing knowing he spent an hour and a half or so helping Detroir when we needed him to learn our offense. This REALLY bothers me if it's true.

2. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

According to the reports, Favre was contacted by Millen about doing some hunting together. One thing led to another during the convo.....

3. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

the dude is allowed to have a life. if he wanted to talk to anyone on the phone for an hour and a half he is allowed to do that. i doubt its true, and if it is true i wont ever care. the league basically said "we dont give a shit" so there will be no further look into these accusations. until someone comes out with real proof im gonna chalk to this up to a slow news day and someone needed an article that was gonna get some attention.

4. nyjunc

No he's not, not when we are paying him $12 mil and he is still getting up to speed w/ the O. He should have been submerged in the playbook in his free time.

5. ukilledkenny

alright, whatever you say. :up:

6. nyjunc

The guy came here w/ a month to go before the season started. If he has an hour-hour and half to break down the packers that should be time spent worrying about our offense or worrying about NE who we played that week. I HOPE these reports are false.

7. ukilledkenny

and if they aren't it makes no difference. no player is spending every waking moment learning a new playbook, or breaking down film. i would guess he probably spent most of his day that day at the jets practice facility just like the rest of the team. when its time to go home, they go home and relax like normal humans. if he wants to spend that time talking to someone he knows in the lions organization about anything that is his right. athletes aren't superhuman, you cant expect them to sit in a room and break down tape and study playbooks for 18 hours a day. this is just something for you to complain about, get over it. there are things actually worth complaining about right now, what favre does with his free time is not one of them.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Have to agree with junc on this one, I would be pretty pissed as well if this were true. But... an unfounded rumor is an unfounded rumor. I'm not going to get pissed over what Favre-hating journalists report unless they have a solid source.

9. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

Well.....according to LeRoy Butler (former Packer who works as a member of the media covering the Packers), there are more stories about Favre that will be surfacing soon that are less flattering than this one. I'm not sure exactly how this was worded though or how legit it is since it was posted by a Favre hater at a GB messageboard. Some of them purposely leave out certain details IMO.

However, i can post some of Leroy Butler's comments on this issue which were printed in a recent issue of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:

10. Mr. Papagiorgio

Glazer was one of the reporters that posted on the Packers owned cellphone thing which was proven false, so there is reason to not believe everything he says. I'm not sure if there is any truth to this or not, but if there is, it is probably just a normal conversation that did include some football talk, but I'm guessing that it was not all about the game or some big pow wow. Glazer said Sunday that Favre initiated contact with Detroit, than changed his story Monday to Millen contacting Favre about going hunting sometime. Really who, cares though, it violates no rules and players do this all the time.

Bill Michaels, who normally doesn’t miss an opportunity to bash Favre thinks Favre and Millen talked, but not remotely in the same way as Glazer was making it out to be. According to Michaels’ sources:

Favre's Conversation With Millen "Not Sabotage"
    By Bill Michaels

After making several phone calls today, it’s my understanding that Brett Favre did indeed speak with Matt Millen, then President / GM of the Detroit Lions. It was more of a “conversation in passing” as it was explained to me. It was NOT a devious plot by Favre to attempt to sabotage the Green Bay Packers. The conversation was “brief”. There was a mention of the Green Bay Packers but, according to sources, it wasn’t a lengthy dissertation of the Packers schemes, tendencies nor playcalling. The conversation surrounded “catching up” and Brett’s comfort level in New York and how enjoyed playing 4 the Jets.
    While the Detroit Lions remain silent with their “no comment” refrain, sources tell me that this was the only phone call that they had knowledge of. Other calls, to other teams, was out of their “scope of knowledge”.

Favre Bashing is in Style
    Posted by Bob Bullock October 20, 2008 10:28PM
    Categories: News
    The media really seems to enjoy the Favre bashing nowadays. He gets killed 4 his play on the field, which admittedly hasn't been great the last two weeks and now he alledgedly gave some tips to the Lions about the Packers offense.

One, players talk to other players and coaches all the time about football issues, so this is hardly a new development. I guess because it's Brett Favre it becomes a huge story. Two, just because the story is out there certainly doesn't make it true. I think we should all know that by now. Even if Favre did talk to someone from the Lions, I'm sure whatever was said has been embellished by Mr. Glazer, who always seems to make mountains out of molehills anyway.

It seems like a conversation between Lions ex-GM Matt Millen and Favre about hunting probably included some football talk. Gee, you think these guys would talk about football?

It also would be impossible 4 Glazer to know what was said between the two, so his report is total speculation. Which is what most of his stories are anyway.

The bottom line here is that anyone who believes the Glazer story at face value is just plain stupid. Also, even if he did give Millen some information it didn't break any rules. Not only that but the Lions got their ass kicked in the game anyway, so how much good information could Favre have given Millen?

The whole story is just a joke. I have to watch a pathetic game played by the Jets yesterday in Oakland and then read about this crap on top of it? I'm not interested in the whole thing.

I just want to read how Mangini is going to correct the problems this team has.

#30 Mr. Papagiorgio, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  11. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

Good post. I have to admit I did listen to the entire jim rome radio show last night on podcast and i found it funny that glazer had stumbled a bit on a couple of details. some of these minor variations of the story shouldn't be overlooked.
    I still believe that Glazer is a quality reporter but i don't rule out the possibility that his source is feeding him some bad info.
    Keep in mind that the Packers did hire Ari Fleischer to help them out in this situation. You know damn well that they did this to help them sling mud around and cover things up. what better person to do that than a guy who worked with scumbag politicians doing those exact things? I've always felt that the Packers planted some stories to make Favre look bad. They needed to do this to enable them to trade Brett and avoid a PR nightmare. I'm sure Fleischer is still on the payroll.

12. keypusher

keypusher Member

Isn't Farve supposed to address this tomorrow anyway?

13. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

Being that this was only reported by one person, not several, with really no source of information, and the only tie is Favre pretty much tossing this aside as "yeah, this never happened" type of a thing... what is there worth talking about? The packer fans only even were aware of it because Woodson decided to open his mouth over a RUMOR.

Seriously, I highly doubt this occured. The packers have a different offense now then they did with Brett, so there is nothing he can really say that they can't see on film. That being the case, if there was nothing he could give them to begin they don't already have, where is the story? No way this occured. It was just one reporter trying to bring up something to stir contreversy because some guy said it happened, or thinks it happened.

Seriously, the media needs to give the favre|packers divorce a rest already.

14. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Not debunked... swept under the carpet...

15. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Well, even if true, it is not against the rules, nor is it a Jets story. Teams pick up players to get info sometimes (not as often as the consiracy folks around here believe, but...).

But if it is true, it would be a black mark on Favre's reputation with Packer fans. And his legacy will always be attached to the Packers. It would be like Montana calling the Cowboys with all the inside info he knew about the 49ers offense after he went to KC.

16. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I don't know if Favre did this or not. But the Packers didn't change their offense from last year to this year. They just have someone more willing to run it the way the coaching staff wants now.

17. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

It would take a lot more than a phone call to help the Lions beat anybody, no less the Packers.

18. Tight

Tight Active Member

If he does come back with schotty still the offense coordinator we fucked anyway so it doesnt even matter... Schotty is a horrible offensive coordinator..

Here is the Killer

Chad pennington is averaging more Yards per completion then Brett.. The same chad who was on this team...

What does that tell you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Fan4Favre

Fan4Favre New Member

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Ari Fletcher wasn't behind this mess in some way. Hey, when a sports organization hires a political pressman to help them handle a situation, something is seriously wrong! There are still many people who believe the Packers kicked Favre to the curb and are still very pissed. The Packers are still trying to make it look like they did nothing wrong. I'm not saying the Packer management is behind this, but really, nothing would surprise me these days.

20. nyjunc

If he's spending time w/ the family or doing something he needs to do adjusting to his new temporary home I could understand BUT if he's talking strategy and gameplans he should be focused on us or NE for that week not wasting time worrying about GB or Detroit.

He's not like the rest of the team, he came into camp w/ amonth to go. He should have been putting in MANY extra hours studying, wacthing filk, working w/ his coaches and recievers. The NFL isn't a 9-5 job, they don't punch a clock and go home as soon as practice ends especially w/ the circumstances around the FRavre trade. I GUARANTEE Chad was worried baout our opponents and he was studying extra and getting extra work in w/ Miami- he probably still is. That is what professionals do.

IF the story isn't true then these posts about him are meaningless but if true I would be extreemly disappointed and it might explain some of his poor play this season.

Whether he did it or not do you expect him to admit it?