Fire Mangini!!!!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Yeah, people want to blame the players but the coaches are deciding who plays and what plays they're allowed to execute. Does anybody seriously think Favre wants to go dink and dunk all day? Look at his track record, the player can obviously play, so why is the coach absolved of all blame and all of it placed on the player?

2. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Do you really think they were calling dink and dunk plays? The wr's could not get open. When the defense sits back in a zone most of the time you have to take the short pass in front of it.

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

We made a bunch of anti-Mangini comments in this thread from last year-
    http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=28149

I noted a number of coaches there. You'll likely come across a few coaches who turned around a bad team for one year and then proceeded to mostly suck in the 2nd season and beyond.

I am not totally convinced Mangini is a bad coach, but I am leaning that way. With today's loss to Oakland, I blame the players more than the head coach.

Also, do a search for the thread titled "Scott Linehan's Death Knell". It's in the NFL forum. I'd bump it if it had not be derailed due to two people being clowns.

4. Magnus Malax

Magnus Malax New Member

I don't hear any of the players criticizing the play-calling. Favre was taking what he could get.

5. uberchink

uberchink New Member

use play-action? put some pressure on 3rd downs. be a little more creative.

if you dont think the playcalling and coaching as a whole wasn't abysmal then you're blind.

6. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

I think your right, those are the two ways to look at it, that's why I want Mangini fired. The only positive spin you can put on him is that he's young and gonna get better. But you can't improve without admitting the need for change, you can't improve without self criticism. After every loss Mangini gets in front of the mic and starts lecturing the reporters on the various types of screen passes and says its all about a "process" and that all he can do is "prepare the team for the next opponent". Its the same defensive crap after every loss, he's never going to actually change and improve, he will be the same coach when he's Al Davis' age. Time to pull the plug on the Mangini experiment and get a coach who has payed his dues, preferably a former player.

#66 Firemangini Ed, Oct 19, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  7. uberchink

uberchink New Member

play-action would've left the WR's wide open deep down field. the only game where they consistently used play-action was against arizona and look what happened. i also remember favre's first TD pass for the Jets being a long play action play.

almost all long pass plays are play-action for every team in the league. ive never seen so little of it used in a game before. if u cant tell, im pretty disgusted by it

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Here's the thing, he talks just like Belichik and seems to value the same general principles. But Belichik has seen a TON more games than he has from the sidelines and so his ability to make the "process" work is just many times more effective than Mangini's is.

I think Mangini probably is in way over his head, and he's so far over his head that he can't even figure out where to latch on to keep himself floating. He's underwater, going blub blub blub, and that's what we're seeing out of the Jets right now.

9. Magnus Malax

Magnus Malax New Member

You're certainly welcome to this opinion but I think that you're making assumptions about him. That's not the impression I've gotten at all. I think he's very much in control. This is a setback though. I can't argue with that.

10. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

we need a coach that knows how to win....from the ground up. Mangini is clueless.

And if we keep blowing "gimme games" like today.... Favre is gonna hang em' up or he's gonna whisper the name "Steve Mariucci" in Woody's ear for next season.

Something has to be done.

11. hazmat

hazmat New Member

The wr's couldn't get any space on the corners. The corners weren't going to bite on playaction. The same thing as last week the defense just sits back in a zone and waits for Favre to beat himself. He'll take what they give him but eventually he forces the ball.

You can blame the coaches all you want but the game plan didn't include giving the ball to the raiders three times. The defense didn't give up big plays and we ran the ball down extremely well.

12. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

There are no gimmie games in teh NFL. Ask Dallas about that one.

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Dallas is another team that has a "retard" for a head coach.

14. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

the most ridiculous thing that i saw was the jets rushing only 3 guys on a lot of plays. with the rules favoring receivers, even an all-star back seven can't stop an offense if you give a team lots of time to survey the field.

they're already 2 games behind buffalo, and can't afford to give away games that should be wins. i still favor bringing in rex ryan and an offensive coordinator who doesn't get conservative in the red zone. :mad:

#74 mr nyjet, Oct 19, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  15. uberchink

uberchink New Member

the WR's couldn't get any space because we weren't using any play action. if all the corners have to worry about is guarding their guy then of course they'll be able to do it especially if they have two very good corners

16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

jets fans are really pathetic sometimes...one bad loss and people are bailing on the season...but when we win next week everyone will suddenly say how they knew we'd rebound...

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I think the Jets didn't see the tape from the DEN/OAK game in week 1...when Eddie Royal was raping Hall on a consistent basis.

There's no reason why we shouldn't have gone to the play action pass more often....Hall got schooled by a rookie for christs' sakes....Coles and Cotch should have had their way with him given the chance.

18. uberchink

uberchink New Member

yeah it's funny. the season definitely is far from over. but i really think the only way we can win is if we overcome our coaching staff. which we could probably do just enough to make the playoffs. beyond that i dont know.

19. uberchink

uberchink New Member

we were running all over them too. ive never seen a team run so well and not want to take advantage of it. even teams who average 2 or 3 yds a carry still use play action. it's a basic part of football ffs

20. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Here is a perfect nickname for him: Mangidiot.