Mangini's Record to Date

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I don't know about easily. They had field position all day, is that coaching or is that execution on special teams? One or two plays turns that game either way.

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Execution is a product of coaching. Scheme is also but its highly over rated and execution is highly under rated when it comes to great coaches.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The momentum was gone in week 2 because of Feely's missed FG... that was the sealed fate right there. And the psychological win by kicking the ball over the head of LW on kickoffs. That was good coaching by BB. But Sparano and Turner embarrassed him... so its a wash?

4. Italian Seafood

You think? To me it's the one thing coaches have no control over. They can get the guys they want and put them out there with a plan, but the players have to execute it.

5. steviep

steviep Active Member

Thats why to me -- Parcells is the guy Id bring in if my team was 1-15. Hes done it 4 times already (not including Miami). BB has done it -- never. BB is a great coach. But -- Id like to see him go into Oakland or St. louis and turn it around and win.

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Hey I figure you as a supposed such a dedicated NYJ fan would want to see how our HC was doing against teams under 500, at 500 & over 500. Since these are actual stats for once you can see that Mangini is really weak against the over & at 500 teams which may translate into that he cannot cope with higher quality coaches like Belly who is he is now what now 1-6 just like Herm before him

7. Italian Seafood

The reason above 500 teams are above 500 is that they win the majority of their games, otherwise they aren't above 500 teams. Simple math, champ. Once again you've worked very hard to uncover the obvious.

8. Magnus Malax

Magnus Malax New Member

While I think that the statistical evaluation here is flawed, I'd like to point out one other issue. Regardless of the math, I have always been a believer is what Bill Parcells said: "You are what your record says you are".

That said, do we all believe that a coach with a losing record against winning teams cannot turn that around with experience? The reason I ask this rhetorically is two-fold.

First, (and this was brought up on NFL radio in discussing Lane Kiffin) head coaches who've never been head coaches before tend to do better at their second job which would suggest that the first employer either let him go too soon or that it wasn't a good fit for some other reason.

Second, I am a Texas alum and for years was anti-Mack Brown. I thought that there was no way this guy was winning a championship. He had a losing record against Bob Stoops and he even had websites that existed simply to show why he should be fired. I gladly ate crow when he found success and eleven years later he's brought the program back to where it was when Darrell Royal was the coach.

So...simply having fewer "W's" than "L's" doesn't mean it will always be that way.

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Really now thanks for that extra ordinary math lesson & in the reverse coaches that lose more games then they win are below 500. Is that also correct math. Always remember BP adage you are what your record says you are

10. Italian Seafood

Do you know what Parcells' record was in his first year? It was 3-12-1, so he had a record similar to Mangini at this point in his career, even after going 10-6 in his second year.