Mangini's Record to Date

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Oct 14, 2008.

1. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

If NYJs had beaten all of these .500 and over .500 teams a bunch of them would fall to .500 or below .500 and be taken out of the categories.

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Yup. You can twist numbers around to say anything you want them to say. If you're a negative old man with no job, it's something to do.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Belichik was worse in his 1st 3 seasons with the Browns.... see this is easy to do.

4. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Champ just needs something to bitch about. It's all he has to look forward to when he wakes up in the morning.

5. Italian Seafood

That and the Eadly Bird special at 4:30. :up:

6. 611LWC

611LWC New Member

That statement needs context. In Herm's last season 2005 we were plagued by a significant number of injuries and playing our third string QB by week 2 (I think). That season he was 4-12 but given the circumstances of that season I am not sure that is a fair statistic. It is accurate but I am not sure it is fair given the facts.

7. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Your statistics predict we would win 5 more games this year (66% of teams with losing, 20% with winning), making us 8-8

Not too many people would be happy about that on this board, but you certaily couldn't be calling for his job after a 500 season.

If you think:
    1. he has a better team to work with this year (most people do)
    2. he hasn't really gotten any better as a coach, but hasn't gotten worse either
    ---> He should do better than your stats! Making us 9-7 or 10-6

10-6 will pretty likely get us in the playoffs! This is very encouraging.

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Cool if Mangini can get away with cheating and Ratliff turns into a HOF QB were set.

9. Italian Seafood

It's just picking and choosing the numbers wanted to try and support a point. You can also say we went to the playoffs in three of Herm's first four years, a bigger body of work to evaluate and a more substantial result.

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Belicheat at Cleveland:
    Year 1: 6-10
    Year 2: 7-9
    Year 3: 7-9

Total: 20-28. Boy. What a loser he is.

Belicheat at Pats:

Year 1: 5-11 (Doomed to failure!! Doomed to failure!!)
    Year 2: 11-5 (Brady magic?)
    Year 3: 9-7

After all the years of coaching, his 3 year total is but a modest 25-23 (Albeit with a SB ring.)

----------------------------------------------------------

Give it a rest, will ya? It makes you look like a fool, if anything.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Herm inherited one of the most talented JETS teams I can remember.... Mangini walked into the decline :shit:

That's not saying he's a great coach, but the jury's still out.

12. Magnus Malax

Magnus Malax New Member

I agree with the poster that said that the data are flawed.

First off, what size difference are you trying to detect? You certainly don't have enough of a sample size to determine a difference in a team that plays only 16 games a year.

What I would say is that there is a huge difference between the Herm Edwards Jets and the Eric Mangini Jets. The Herm Jets were a group where the "inmates ran the asylum". The biggest difference that I'm told occurred happened on Day One of the Mangini era. He brought discipline. He brought a professional approach and accountability to the work week.

I find it particularly impressive that the Jets' locker room remains tight-lipped even in bad times. There are so many teams around the NFL whose bad season goes to worse because they're all griping in the media. You don't see that with the Jets. It's all taken care of in-house. Did anyone here realize that Chris Baker was getting his deal redone? It was quiet by NFL standards. That's pretty impressive when you look at the size of the media market the Jets are in.

The players have bought into Coach Mangini's plan and I think that the personnel moves are far more sound than anything that the previous regime had to offer. This team was simply unwatchable last year. They went out and got better players. I am not a fan of spending free-agent dollars but, in this case, I think that they needed a lot of talent infused into this team.

Threads like this pop up with regularity on these boards because somebody simply isn't happy with the fact that we aren't Super Bowl bound. Everybody was on Tom Coughlin before he turned it around and now he's untouchable. They don't just hand those rings out people. I find it funny that people are trying to predict the number of wins that will save the job of a guy who's totally turned around the mentality of a franchise. You're making one critical assumption and that is that Woody is assigning his approval of Mangini and Tannenbaum to a certain number of wins this season. I don't see it that way. Yes, this league is about winning but smart owners know when their team is making progress and when they've got a coach worth keeping. The Steelers could have rid themselves of Bill Cowher and the Colts could have dumped Tony Dungy but they didn't and it paid off.

Just my .02.

13. steviep

steviep Active Member

And coslet was 8-8 and 8-8 and 8-8.
    4-12 will always drag down his wp
    id just as soon judge playoff seasons.

14. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

My favorite is "You win when you score more points"

15. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Im totally serious champ. BB had the luxury of drafting perhaps the best qb in the history of the game in the 5th round and poof...superbowls.

You cant seriously come to a conclusion on Mangini after two seasons...other then perhaps routing for his failure.

Regardless, Mangini was raw coming in..and has done enough in two seasons to merit sitting back and seeing where he takes a much more talented team this year.

BB on the other hand is not even a .500 winning coach when Brady is not under center...and thats undeniable.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That is a great post, but I have to disagree with you on one of your points. The Chris Baker situation was so well documented on this board that I regret bringing it up. The fact that they were re-working his deal to the point it got was team business and the silence that ensued his holdout was certainly a sign of acquiescence on the part of the Baker camp.

But the process was well-known info to most of the people on this board through sheer offseason boredom - even if someone can be bored after signing Kris Jenkins. Hell, when he parked his BENTLEY in Jay Cross's old parking spot, everyone here knew it.

17. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

He had Chad Pennington or worse for most of those losses. Let's see what he can do with Favre first before we write him off.

18. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

I hate when people pat themselves on the back. But I'm going to do it any LOL!

I've been saying for the longest time that BB is far from being a super-coach. He was zilch until Brady stepped in. He's zilch without Brady yet again. That's fine and all, he is a great coach to some degree, but he sure as shit ain't no Ray Handley.

I feel dirty now.

19. Italian Seafood

And you should. :jets:

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I hate giving BB any props but does anyone who watched us play the Pats believe that if we switched coaching staffs we don't win that game easily?